Author Topic: any tweaks on the traditional creamy icecream from the EDC please?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
I've made this recipe twice now, and it really needs tweaking.  First of all, the custard doesn't cook at 80oC nearly long enough to thicken up, so I did it for nearly 3 times as long, and it still didn't thicken.  Perhaps it needs more yolks?  And neither time did it set as hard as 'bought' icecream.  Can anyone help out, or perhaps I should slide down to the recipe request tab and ask for people's favourite vanilla icecream recipes.  I just want a really nice, natural, creamy traditional vanilla icecream.  I followed the measurements to the letter.
Thanks,
Miss G
Mother of 11 year old son and wife of the bread-maker operator

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: any tweaks on the traditional creamy icecream from the EDC please?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:08:29 am »
mmm thats interesting Miss Grunge. I use this recipe all the time and it works really well for me. The custard doesn't actually thicken like an ordinary custard and unless you like the taste of eggs I wouldn't add more yolks. I have gone to cooling the custard & then putting it in the ice cream maker but used to freeze & blitz at least twice & sometimes 3 times. My boys prefer a softer ice cream so have always kept it in the top of the freezer, therefore not sure how hard it would actually freeze. I have some in the freezer now so will transfer it to the bottom and see what happens.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:13:10 am »
I cook it as stated with only 100g of sugar. I usually double the recipe ( I find it odd the recipe  uses 250ml of cream as cream comes in 300or600ml  ???) I put it in the freezer hot in a metal baking tin. And blitz it twice usually. Works great for us :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:16:13 am »
This recipe works beautifully for us too - we substitute rapadura sugar, and use only 100g.  I put it in a glass lasagne dish in the freezer, and blitz it once or twice.  One day I left out the pinch of salt and it definitely froze firmer than usual.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:35:05 am »
Yes it is called a custard but doesn't actually thicken like a custard.  We make this occasionally and always really enjoy it.  We use rapadura instead of the sugar too.  I always whip it twice (three times if I have time).  I find it takes a full day to set firm in my deep chest freezer and I often make it the day before it is required.  :)

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
I've never had any problems with this one either and I make it all the time!  It definitely doesn't freeze as hard as bought ice-cream, but it tastes SO much better  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:18 pm »
Premium time for me to make icecream is in the morning. Just to let you know that when I make icecream I find the more that you give it a stir as it is setting, the smoother it becomes (we become the icecream maker/churner). I do the initial thingo in the TM and then once I pour into my plastic container I just use my electric handbeaters in the container to whip up whenever I want (they are easier to wash - I am so lazy and lovin it)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand