Author Topic: My Recipe Box  (Read 14208 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Recipe Box
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:54 am »
Finally, after hours of work, I have completed my recipe box.  I have so many I thought rather than do folders, this may be the best option for me.  I laminated 2 recipes back to back, sorted them into categories and ended up (after culling quite a few) with over 300 recipes from the forum that I have tried.  This box will probably hold 500 recipes all up I would think so it will be an ongoing task until it is full.
DH was a great help, doing the laminating for me whilst I sorted recipes and set them up ready for him to put into the machine. He had a little read of the recipes as they were going through the machine and had a laugh when he read one comment on the Lentil Bolognaise "Geoff didn't like this".  He couldn't understand why I wanted to keep all these recipes when I rarely do one twice but he doesn't understand women and their obsessive need to collect TMX recipes  ;D
My 2 previous folders are now empty but I will fill the categories in them with all the recipes from my 'to do' folder. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:32:30 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: My Recipe Box
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40:04 am »
My goodness Judy - you are so organised!  That looks fabulous!  I onlyl wish my recipes were as organised.  They are still all higgeldy-piggeldy in my desk drawer, waiting for me to enter them into my computer recipe programme.  When I want to use one, I can never find it, so I end up printing it out again  :o poor trees  :o  You have inspired me to do better .........
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:32:35 am by KJH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:09 am »
I have that box too (actually I have the england and new york one) looks great should save you a lot of time now being able to find recipes quickly

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:15:51 am »
thats fantastic JD - you'll love getting a recipe out now that its all categorised. Just love the photo of you and Geoff on the front  :D
Sounds like you have come down with a Reorganisational Bug, what with the changing rooms and recipe box (I'm hoping this is one bug that I catch  ;))
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline GoneCrazY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:05 am »
very well organised ! i can only aspire to be that organised .....ONE DAY !! ;)
I HAVE SOMETHING BAKING ...........................BUT IT WONT BE READY TILL FEB 2012 ;)

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:19 am »
So JD, do you enter recipes into your box once you've tried them and decide you would make it again? also, what sort of cards did you use?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 04:55:00 am »
I used to have a recipe box, but a little one with cards. I've put a few of those cards in a photo album now as some were in my mum's handwriting.

Now, I use display books. I've noticed my Main Meals one is getting huge, so will be splitting it into meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian. These work well because you can slide them out of the sleeves to add notes.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:19 am »
That looks great Judydawn. I have quiet a few now that I have in a folder. I did have to buy a bigger folder as my first one just wasnt big enough. I have only had my TM for less than 3 months and I already have around 150 recipes. how many will I have in 5 years time?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:21 am »
Love it Judy!
I too have compiled recipes onto my living cookbook, then printed off and into display books like MJ.  I guess in the end, your recipe box is more storage savy.......Hmmm.......now reassess her books  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:10 am »
This is what I did a while back with all my tried and true favourites collected over the past 2 years. I did a contents page, conversion table, 1 recipe per page front & back and got it bound. Best thing I ever did, and now working on Volume 2
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:45 am »
LMT, it is just a normal A4 print out from the forum and then laminated to give it body to stand - handy because just the recipe I need can be removed from the box and it can be wiped clean. The photo is of a nice clean print out with no notes on it but a lot have changes and alternative suggestions written on them which I decided to leave there as printing out or typing my own with the changes would have been far too time consuming.  I had a file where I put any recipe I'd made and liked but it was so full that the edges of the paper were all starting to fold in and it was getting very messy.  This one will stay just as it is.  I would have as many again in another file that I have not yet tried and all the while more and more recipes go on this forum on a daily basis that sound just too good to resist so it is an ongoing 'hobby' of mine.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:30:40 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 06:36:03 am »
Thanks for all the compliments, this idea was a long time in the making. Love seeing what others have done with their recipes too, it sure keeps us busy  :D

CP63, DH thought that comment was very funny  ;D  This was quite a relaxing thing to do after my recent 'changing rooms' frenzy that I decided to do. Working with paper is a darn sight easier than moving furniture around on your own :-))

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 09:07:49 am »
Your recipe box looks lovely Judy, great team work. ;D ;D  CP's your comments made me giggle this morning about the photo on the box. :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:14 am »
wow judy looks great. i wish i had the patience to be that organised! i just have printouts in a display folder.
Emma from Victoria

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:55:33 am »
Judy,  I am going out to buy a laminator, because your system is so much better than mine. Love it.  Especially being able to wipe the goo off the recipe.  Maybe you would like to come over and stay for a week ,  with your DH, and get me organized.?