Author Topic: New York Rye Bread (with photo)  (Read 44606 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New York Rye Bread (with photo)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 08:16:56 am »
Enjoy your holidays farfallina. There's not always a lot of space in caravans so you will probably only take the basics.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:04 am »
Thanks girls

I am still around until 16th ;)

The thing is I never went on a holdiay with caravan and I am not very experienced
Moreover, our friends are coming from turkey, 2 adults and their 1.5years old baby. So I kind of think of what everyone would need. From towels, sheets to food details, plates, napkins and more. There are many things to consider.
We are 5 adults at the end. We manage somehow I hope:)
Your experiences, recommendations and advises are always welcomed 

As for Thermomix... I've thought about it a lot. I really wanted to bring it with us. It would be great to prepare food mostly for the baby. However we decided not to. We won't be staying in one camping area. We have 3 stops. We will be staying at 2 different campings and also parking lot of an entartainment park called Mirabilandia. Since Thermomix is very precious to us we didn't want to risk something bad would happen to it  :-))

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 02:46:16 am »
Farfallina,  what you take for cooking ,  will depend on if you have access to electricity.  If not you may be able to use BBQ.  We caravanned a lot when the children were young and we all loved it. We took old everything, clothes, sleeping bags, cooking utensils and lots of tinned food as food was always expensive.  We would buy 1 meal aday and cook the rest.  breakfast cereal and toast, sandwiches for lunch and often fish and chips for tea.  I worked out how to cook a cake in an electric frypan and always made lots of biscuits to take with us.  the children were always hungry after swimming ,  as we usually went to the beach.   when we went up to the Desert, no electricity ,  I would cook over a camp fire.  Even made bread in a case iron pot, over a fire.
I think that you will have a great time as you have so much cooking experience and imagination, it will take you out of your 'comfort zone' and allow you to be creative.  Have fun,  and let us know how you go.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 10:27:28 am »
Thanks for the suggestions achookwoman  :-*

First 3 days we will be able to get electricity I suppose. We will be in the camping
Last 2 days we can't have electricty thats for sure- We will be at parking zone of an entertainment park

BBQ is a great idea. After we get caravan let us fill with obligatory needs and then see how much space we've got left
We will have some food ready. My mother in law is gonna make us some lasagne since all my friends go crazy about them! :)
I plan to buy salad, those ready to use packages so we wouldn't bother to cut and wash
I was planning to make Nutella Tart since it's easy to store. No need to be in the fridge
I plan to make this rye bread, maybe some other one also, haven't decided yet
I plan to make puree and soup for the baby. His mom handles the rest:)
I plan to make chicken salad for one meal. I just grill chicken and then add tinned ingredients such as mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, peas, olives, cheese etc
We plan to eat out a few lunches or dinners. We like going to pizzeria

Even if we don't have any experience I believe we can manage somehow because it's just a 5 days trip which would be Ok for the beginners like ouselves:)
Well... we'll experience and see how this turns out  :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:39 am »
You sound very organised Farfallina, have a great time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 11:28:02 am »
Whatever happens have a great time Farfallina :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 10:36:12 am »
We had some friends round for dinner last night - they live half the year in New York and the other half over here.   I made this rye bread (with caraway seeds) to go with the gravlax starter and they asked me where they could buy it as it was like what they could get at home.  I think they were quite surprised to know I had made it myself   8) 8)

This time I mixed everything up for 20 seconds at speed 5 and then let it rest for 10 minutes before kneading (I've been reading Dan Leppard who recommends doing this).   I don't know whether it was this or the warm weather but the bread had a particularly good crumb this time round.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:50 am »

Wow! It is quite impressive to hear that also your new yorker friends enjoyed it!!
Thank you for sharing also your alternative preparation Katya
I will try it next time

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:55:52 am »
Hi ,Farfallina and Katya,  this is one of our fav. breads also.  I have tried Dan Lepard's method of knead, rest knead again, and so on.  It certainly doesn't harm the rising and texture but I still am not sure that it makes a lot of difference. Let us all know what you think.  Dan Lepard is my bread hero and often has recipes in the Guardian newspaper,  I have made many of his recipes in the TMX.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »
I'm just beginning to discover the joys of Dan Leppard.    The bit I read said you should mix the ingredients and rest before starting to knead so I did that but I would need to do a lot of experimentation to prove that it was the resting that made the difference.

By the way this bread makes fantastic toast  ;) ;)

Offline ~Trish~

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 06:09:01 am »
I have just pulled this out of the oven and it looks great, A lot thinner than I am used to so I might do it in a loaf pan next. Is the outside supposed to be really hard though? Like it still feels fluffy on the inside but the outside is like its going to have a very nice thick crust?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 07:46:36 am »
Trish, the outer crust on mine seems to soften as it cools.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

Hi Trish

It is just like cookie said
When you remove it from the oven the outer crust is very thick but then it softens after cooling on the wire racks
However, it won't be very fluffy

Offline ~Trish~

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »
Thank you  :)

It is very lovely!! Half the loaf is gone and the kids keep asking for more  ;D