Author Topic: Slow cooker recipes  (Read 39374 times)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
Re: Slow cooker recipes
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 01:25:09 am »
Twitterpated, I know how you feel but the slow cooker for some reason doesn't bother me. I'd never leave the drier on (a friend's place burnt down through the drier and was told it is a common occurence) and Wednesday afternoon I tried to put the oven on to heat up before going to collect one kid from school (6 min round trip max) and I just couldn't, lol, turned it on and then went back and turned it off again.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »
I have a regular tmx / slow cooker combination which I do.  I throw onion, garlic, herbs, a couple of handfuls of oats, and a variety of root vegetables into the bowl and grate them on speed 5.

I then add them with 500g mince, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and stock to the slow cooker.  The veggies and oats basically double to triple the amount of the mince, and I get several meals out of it.  After the mixture has cooked I separate it out.  Some has gravy and chutney added and is used as shepherds pie or similar.  Some has salsa added to it and is used for nachos.  Some is turned into Chilli con carne.

So we'll have one of these meals that day, one lot will be put in the fridge for later in the week (because I like the chilli to cook in the slow cooker for a while for the flavours to develop) and the other one goes into the freezer.

Hope this helps. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 12:03:27 am »
What a great time saver CarolineW - be great if you have the time to post exact quantities of everything you use in that first cook off as a lot of people have trouble ab libbing recipes and need exact quantities.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:19:11 am »
carolineW,  this looks great.  I do something similar with diced steak.  The TMX does a great job on the veggies and adds a depth of flavor to the dish. 

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »
Caroline, that recipe sounds great!!! A great budget one and tasty. Will def give it a go.

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:37 am »
Balsamic Tomato Lamb

1 leg of lamb, well trimmed of any fat
1/2 cup of semi dried tomatoes (97% fat free ones, from the deli)
3-4 cloves of garlic
1-2 tablespoons of balsamic glaze

Whizz up all the stuff except the lamb in the thermy until a rough paste is formed. You could add any fresh herbs like basil or parsley to the mix as well. Cut a few slits all over the lamb and then proceed to give it a good massage with the paste, poking as much paste into the holes as you can. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the lamb and all the paste. Cook until the lamb is falling off the bone ~ about 6-8 hours on low. The paste and water will combine with the lamb juices to make a delicious jus. Rest the lamb before carving and eating. Serve on top of some couscous with a spinach salad on the side. It also tastes great the next day with spinach, beetroot and tzatziki in a wrap.

Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:39 pm »
The German forum www.wunderkessel.de has loads of combined Thermomix/slowcooker recipes. You can have Google translate for you. Some things will get 'lost in translation', but most things will translate  okay. And of course I can always translate as well, feel free to ask. ;)
Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:06 am »
Sonan, yum!!!
Jacq, have found the section and will have a good look through and will ask if I need some translating help. Thanks.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
What a great time saver CarolineW - be great if you have the time to post exact quantities of everything you use in that first cook off as a lot of people have trouble ab libbing recipes and need exact quantities.

Your wish is my command, Judy  ;D

Here are the ingredients I put in the last one.  Please bear in mind that it's very flexible, according to what I have to hand.  Also, sometimes I forget to chop the onion and garlic first, so they aren't sauteed.  To be honest, I can never tell the difference in the final dish. I forgot this time, so I've posted it honestly  :D

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 unpeeled carrot
1 unpeeled courgette (zuchini)
1 unpeeled beetroot
1 large parsnip (peeled as old and tough)
Some sage and rosemary leaves
65g oats

4 seconds / speed 5

Bunch of cabbage leaves
1 pak choi

Added on top of other bits.  3 seconds / speed 5

Put into slow cooker with:

500g mince
1 very heaped tsp veg stock concentrate,
pepper
can chopped tomatoes
slosh red wine (sometimes use a dash of balsamic instead)
1 tbsp tomato puree
c 400 mls hot water

Stir it all through with wooden spoon, and cook.

If I had been planning to do all tomato dishes I would have put in another can of tomatoes, and slightly less water.  As it happened, I did - spaghetti bolognaise, chilli, and nachos.  But I had planned to do a shepherd's pie originally, so I kept it to a recipe which allowed me to add more tomatoes or gravy in the final dish.

So for the bolognaise I added more chopped tomatoes, thyme and oregano.   For the chilli I added more chopped tomatoes, chilli and a little bit of cocoa powder, and kidney beans.  For the nachos I added a jar of salsa (sorry, I know I should have made it from scratch!) then baked over nachos, sprinkled with grated cheese (grated in tmx) and served with salad and guacamole (which was made from scratch in the tmx  ;D )

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:35 am »
Thanks Caroline  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:06 am »
My DH has asked for a 'stew' in the slow cooker this week. I'll put it out in the laundry to cook as it is still hot here. I think if we reach 31 today we will have had the hottest March on record. It seems to have been over 30 for the last 2 months. At least the mornings are a tiny bit cooler. It has worn me down.
Oh well...........off to put the slow cooker in the laundry.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »
I love my slow cooker almost as much as my Thermomix!!!!  So was keen to see some new post on this thread.
Just had a lamb roast and vegies in the slowcooker and I am currently stewing quinces in TM and going to serve with TM Custard.
I just came across this recipe and don't usually post something I haven't made but Quinces are abundant in The South West at the moment and sooooooo beautiful I can't wait to to try tomorrrow going to Donnybrook to by a box of them for $10 and will also make some quince paste.

Paula Wolfert's Slow-Baked Quince

(adapted from  in The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen)

Serves 4

2 medium quince
⅔ c castor sugar
⅔ c water
1 clove
1½ T lemon juice
1 apple

Preheat oven to 250˚F (120˚C).

Peel and halve the quince. Using a melon baller and a paring knife, carefully core the quince halves. Reserve all the peel and trimmings. Combine the sugar, water, clove and lemon juice in a shallow baking dish, such as a casserole (preferably one with a lid). Stir with a whisk to dissolve the sugar. Add the reserved trimmings and the quince halves, cut side down. Peel the apple and blitz in TM until coarsely chunky.  Place the apple over the quince halves. This will prevent the quince from drying out while baking.

Cover and bake for 5 to 7 hours until the fruit softens and turns pink or crimson.

Serve the quince halves with clotted cream and toasted almonds.
Leftover juices make a great spritzer mixed with water or, even better, a great version of a Bellini or Kir Royale mixed with Prosecco or Champagne! Cheers!
I thought I would try freezing to use in sorbet

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »
Quinces are pretty rare in Cairns but I love this recipe.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:15:56 pm »
Gert I am hearing you!!!!!  I hadn't had quinces in years having lived in QLD for 17 years now that they grow in orchids so close I am indulging in them.  But there is lots of lovely things like mangos we don't have an abundance of like in Far North QLD.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »
Many thanks for those recipes CarolineW and  Berringamababe!  Have printed them off and they'll be done over the next couple of days!  Really appreciated! :D