Author Topic: EDC mashed potato - MC off?  (Read 12902 times)

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
EDC mashed potato - MC off?
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:28:39 am »
Alfter only about 12 minutes the milk all started boiling over into the lid.  I guess I should be making this recipe with the MC off?  I tried it with the steamer basket on top for a few seconds and it stilll boiled up into the lid.  What does everyone else do?

I find the recipes rarely say 'MC off', and it is often the case that it is better without the MC.  Perhaps there needs to be some more consistency with this? FWIW.

Thanks, and interested in the experience of others,
Miss G
Mother of 11 year old son and wife of the bread-maker operator

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
Re: EDC mashed potato - MC off?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
Woo hoo! I got my second star  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:15 am »
Good for you missgrunge  :D :D

I never have that problem with my mash as I only ever cook mine in the steaming basket over boiling water on varoma temp for 20-25 mins them empty the bowl, put the butterfly in place, tip the potatoes in, add some butter, S & P and a dash of milk.  Whip on speed 4 for 10 seconds and it is just perfect for us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:04 am »
Congrats on stardom missgrunge. :) :)

I do as JD does and steam the finely-diced potatoes over water for 20 minutes, empty the bowl and put the pots. in the bowl with the butterfly and whip on speed 4 in small bursts until it achieves the consistency I want.   I don't peel the potatoes beforehand as I like the texture with the skin and it's healthier (and also easier!).  Sometimes I add butter and milk, and sometimes EVO.  I also add horseradish or mustard (with the EVO rather than with the milk) as the mood takes me. 

In the UK book, it advises turning the speed up if things spit onto the lid so if you want to continue with your method of cooking in milk, you could try that.   It also may be worth cooking at a lower temperature (if you are using Varoma) as I think milk has a lower boiling point than water.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:03:38 am by Katya »

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:18:01 am »
Well done missgrunge, I too follow the same as JD and Katya.  However potatoes will create extra foam when boiling if  - the potatoes are a higher starch variety or the potatoes are older as they contain more yeast. Add to this the fact that milk is added to the cooking process (as recommended in the EDC) as a result of the milk forming the skin on top as it heats up steam is trapped and there is a far greater chance of boil over, a fact that we all know! Hope this helps.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:02:37 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »
Thank you for all those wise replies! I note the basket method is as in baf69's creamy chicken recipe, and is extremely effective.  I certainly had no boiling over that way.  I shall try that next time for straight mash, and ignore the EDC! :o
Thanks again  :)
Miss G

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »
I only did the potato mash once out of the EDC and had the same problem with spluttering etc. I also found the recipe times too long. I guess the only other thng is that it depends on what type  of potato you are using ie how waxy they are or how quickly they disintegrate, Ever since my EDC disaster, I use the method that JD does with the steamer basket. Much more reliable! Often, I don't even bother with the butterfly to mash them in the TM bowl, as I find the consistency of the mash to be smooth enough without it, but the butterfly definitely does make lovely fluffy mash. Maybe I am being lazy at times, and don't want something extra to wash up. I have also done sweet potato mash this way but the sweet potato cooks faster than potato so you have to reduce the steaming time by about 10 minutes. You could also try a combination of sweet potato and potato mash. I know my kids love the 2 types regardless.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »
The recipe in Nico's booklet for mashed potatoes is fantastic and has worked every time for us - lovely smooth mashed potato.

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »
Hi Kylie,
Welcome!  Would you please PM me Nico's recipe for the mash?
Best,
Miss G

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:08:35 pm »
Miss G you can find Nico's recipe here  :)
http://www.stephberg.com/?p=944
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »
Now that's my kind of site, Denise!
Thanks,
Miss G