Author Topic: Strawberry Jam - now foolproof!  (Read 10317 times)

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
Strawberry Jam - now foolproof!
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:34:31 am »
I have developed a foolproof tweak to get the strawberry jam to set, based on my old favourite recipe.  I tried the EDC recipe and got strawberry sauce, delicious over icecream  ;)   :o    But if you want to make set jam, try this:
Everyday Cooking
p145

Strawberry Jam

Ingredients
500g Strawberries
1/2 cup lemon juice
480g sugar
1/2 pkt (25g) Jamsetta

Method
 As per recipe book

Good luck (you won't need it!),
Miss G.
Mother of 11 year old son and wife of the bread-maker operator

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Strawberry Jam - now foolproof!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:48:57 am »
Good ol' Jamsetta comes to the rescue  ;) What is Jamsetta actually made from? Maybe we could make our own. It's pectin isn't it? Is it something like citric acid??  :-\

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:55:32 am »
I've put a copy of this into jams. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:39:34 am »
Nay-Nay, it's pectin.  Unfortunately I've thrown the package out so I can't give you a rundown on the ingredients list.  I did look at it for nasties though  ;)
Miss G

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:06:25 am »
Good ol' Jamsetta comes to the rescue  ;) What is Jamsetta actually made from? Maybe we could make our own. It's pectin isn't it? Is it something like citric acid??  :-\

Nay, my Jams book tells me a little about pectin and citric acid.  Bottom line is, I wouldn't bother making my own version of Jamsetta.  Berry fruits are low in pectin and without adding it, the jam has problems setting.  My Jams book says "Pectin is a carbohydrate present in certain fruits and vegetables which, when combined with sugar, helps a jam, jelly or marmalade to set or jell.  Commercial pectin helps when there is not enough natural pectin present".

And, "Citric acid is commonly found in most fruits, especially limes and lemons.  Commercial citric acid helps to accentuate the acid flavour of the fruit; it does not act as a preservative."

My book notes that jam will not set if there is an imbalance of pectin and acid, or if insufficient evaporation during the cooking process.  It is recommended to add lemon juice to such fruits as berries as it contains both pectin and acid, and a good balance of both.

There is 1/2 cup lemon juice to only 2 punnets of strawberries in the recipe I use, and I think that helps.  Obviously the Jamsetta is crucial.  I don't know how you could fabricate it at home.

HTH

Miss G

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
Yep I use half a packet of jamsetta and no problems. Though the second last batch I did I decided it wasn't go to set so did an extra 10mins on varoma - was pretty solid, lol, though dd1 says she prefers it that way, I rather it a bit more runny - I guess as I don't eat jam on bread but pop a  little into yoghurt for flavouring.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:39:47 am »
Hi I am trying jam for the first time today, I have csr jam sugar and jan setter, do I use one or the other or both???
I hope there is someone out there who can help me as I am hoping to get started. DH just arrived with 12 kilo strawberries, he went out for something else! But didn't get that!

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:52 am »
Just use one GHM! I normally only use less than half a packet of jam setter if I use that

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 09:59:26 am »
Just use one GHM! I normally only use less than half a packet of jam setter if I use that

Same here.