Author Topic: Vegemite??  (Read 26023 times)

Offline MeganL

• View Profile
Vegemite??
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:16 am »
Anyone know how to make a vegemite substitute? My kids love it, but it has some nasties in it. I have tried to avoid it, but just keep coming back to it! Would love to be able to figure out how to make something similar. I love the home made peanut butter. Haven't tried the hazelnut spread as I'd prefer not to introduce that to my kids!!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Vegemite??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »
I have the same problem! I really want to ditch it out of the house ... but even I am a sucker for some vegemite on toast ... even with some cheese, or on corn thins with avocado and cheese .. the list goes on really. Don't have it that often, but is hard to replace for some things!!!!  ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:12:38 pm »
I dont know how to make vegemite, but our local organic market stocks an alternative called Aussiemite

http://www.aussiemite.com.au/index.html

It tastes just like vegemite - if anything a little bit stronger, so you can use less!  It is Australian made, GM free, organic etc etc ........ the website may give more information, and tell you how you can get it.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »
Thanks kjh I have just sent them an email about stockist in Perth. We still have vegemite in our house too. It is the one thing I buy that I know has 'nasties' in it. I would love to try an alternative :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:45 am »
I was googling for the ingredients and found something here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0909520916396.html

RE: looking for Marmite like spread with zuchinni. Found this. I guess you could make up your own bouillon paste:
MarVeg

1/2 tsp molasses
1 Tbs rice syrup
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon (bouillon paste), vegetable flavor
2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes (or 1 Tbs powder)

Mix all ingredients well.
Store in a small jar in fridge.

NOTE: If Better Than Bouillon is not available, use miso.

Or here's a recipe I have for making your own Vegemite. I've never tried it:

Home-made Vegemite
1 dessertspoon celery salt
2 teaspoons tomato juice
2 teaspoons onion juice
125g compressed yeast
parisian essence to colour

Mince yeast and place in a saucepan, add remaining ingredients. Bring gently to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into small jars and seal.

Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:44 pm »
Aarrgghhhh!!!!!! This thread may have just ruined my Christmas... "We're happy little vegemites..."

Oh please don't tell me what the nasties are... I am playing ostrich on this one and keeping my head firmly in the sand.

"We love our vegemite, we all enjoy our vegemite..." (breathing deeply and *not* reading the label)
Kerryn

Offline abundanceatangas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:49:20 pm »
I will see if I can catch up with a friend and ask her for the "vegemite" she used to make.  The bulk was tahini, then she added brewer's yeast, apple cider vinegar and not sure what else.  It was very healthy and very tasty.  I don't think it was the same colour by memory.  I'm hoping to talk to her today anyway and will ask for recipe.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:52 am »
We just use miso instead, when we're being good!  ;)  Before that we were using 'Mighty Mite' which is gf, but still has some nasties, so hardly ever have it now.  Miso isn't too bad a substitute - and it's a probiotic too, so it's very good for you!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline MeganL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:23:34 am »
I have never heard of miso, is it a paste? Or do you use it to add to recipes...

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 06:42:17 am »
Yes, it's a black paste made from fermenting either brown rice, soybeans, sweet rice, barley, mix of barley and rice... not sure what else... there's all different types, with different names. (Genmai, Hacho, Shiro, etc) You can add it to soups and cooking (at the end so it doesn't boil and lose all it's goodness) for flavour.  Have you heard of Miso soup?  A very light soup - really nice. It's got a lot of probiotics, so vegans use it for that (and for flavour) instead of eating yoghurt.  I can't have yoghurt, being dairy free, so it's good to get some probiotics in this way.  :)

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 02:52:35 am »
Quirkycooking do you use the above recipe and use miso instead of the other ingredient - or do you just use miso on its own? I'm confused... ???
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:04 am »
I just use miso on its' own as a spread :)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:07:49 am »
Just bumping this thread!

Did you try Aussiemite Meagan? Where do you buy Miso from? Has anyone else converted from vegemite to a healthier alternative? When I went to see Cyndi O'Meara recently she said that vegemite has been banned from sale in a European country because of it's nasty ingredients. We don't have vegemite very much but we do love our cheese and vegemite scrolls. I would love to find a tasty alternative.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:42:26 am »
I was going to see if there was such thing as 'homemade Vegemite' on this forum because I just ran out.  Please tell me the nasties in Vegemite, I love the stuff!

I'm sure there's a lot worse out there to eat, if we're banning things I'd ban Black & Gold Meat Pies for starters, and Coke, and kids cereals, and cheap chicken nuggets, and McDonalds, OK I'll stop now.

Offline babyw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:45:22 am »
Yes i'm also keen to know if this works/is edible. We have just bought the children's version which is ok now I'm used to it.  We only have the tiniest amount occassionally in our house. But try to steer clear of any preservatives/colours if we can.

As a side note: Chelsea I have just discovered your blog and was reading it for hours last night (and will probably go back again tonight to look at the rest!) - I love the way you write it and I hope to try a lot of your recipes soon (especially the prawn risotto).  Thanks Alison