Author Topic: Any tips on making yogurt?  (Read 12485 times)

Offline naz

• View Profile
Any tips on making yogurt?
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:42:40 am »
Has anyone made the yogurt? I tried the TMX recipe but it went too watery. Was I supposed to drain the clear liquid off once it was set? (Am thinking I was!!!)
Then made some using the easyo yogurt maker which made it fine until I put in some frozen fruit & blended it through the TMX. It went very runny & hasn't thickened at all!
Any hints??

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on making yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:45 am »
Naz my yoghurt  making is a bit hit and  miss too. This post may help you.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2302.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline naz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:14:52 pm »
Thanx Cookie. Hopefully I can get it right next batch! :D

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:08:54 pm »
I find the long way (EDC  Ithink) gives better results then the short way (Cooking My Way?). I think that a good starter yogurt is the key. I have never used the cultures from eg: cheeslinks and wonder if they may be more successful?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »
Next time you add fruit, blend it separately and stir a little through. You may even need to blend it then strain some of the liquid off or thicken it with some xanthan gum. 
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:16:00 am »
The whey is great in smoothies or if you want to 'soak' flours before baking.

Offline naz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:46 am »
Thankyou for all your hints. I am not going to be beaten on this!!! Will definitely try the blending fruit first & then stir through. That should work much better.  :) And good to know about the whey in smoothies. Haven't made any of them yet! So much to try, so little time!!! :'(

Offline Jabba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:20:36 pm »
I always strain my yogurt through a muslin for around half an hour to thicken it.  Many commercial yogurts have milk powder added (which I don't want to use) which helps thicken them.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »
Here's a photo of the yogurt I made with half & half (light cream) a few days ago. 
I piled it up in the little dish and let it set there for a few minutes to see if it would weep and/or slump, but it kept its shape nicely.  It is almost as firm as yogurt after it has been strained overnight - this is very like Greek yogurt.  I used it as a substitute for sour cream when I made blintzes Saturday morning.

I simply do not like the flavor that I taste with the addition of powdered milk.  I'm a "supertaster" and probably sense things that most people wouldn't but that just me. 

The batch I made with heavy cream was a big hit with my friend and her guests and as it was a lot less work than making clotted cream the traditional way, I am certainly going to do it that way from now on.  I was in too much of a hurry to take photos but I certainly will with the next batch. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:10:57 am »
Wow andiesenji that looks thick!! Can u elaborate on your technique?
I have found valeries yogurt to be great (search on the forum) - relative newbie but have made it every 1-2 weeks for the pst 2.5 months with only 1 flop which didn't set but was fine 4 smoothies/ froyo
Just uses full fat milk, no milk powder. The yogurt u use is the key, not sure where u live, but ideas 4 oz & Uk within that thread.
Was leaving it in the thermoserve wrapped in a tea towel in the microwave (obviously off) when it was colder but now just leave on the counter till set
Def worth persevering & checking out the thread. I am just tending to stir some coulis or honey thru as I serve it, although did use some sugar & vanilla 4 vanilla yoghurt as my kids prefer it
Hth
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 03:55:53 am »
Like Debetha I would also like your recipe Andiesenji.  I 'm nearly happy with mine but yours looks much thicker and fluffier.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:11:19 pm »
I posted in the other thread - probably these should be merged - about my method and a "tweak"

First!  I recommend that you order the starter cultures from Cheeselinks
which I know will guarantee you a good result.  Others who posted on the other thread have tried them and had good results.
There is no guarantee that commercial yogurt will work every time because there are a number of variables over which you have no control.  For instance, somewhere between manufacturer and end seller, the yogurt may have been frozen, which makes the culture much less active and unlikely to produce a good result.  -  when people note that they have a thin or "stringy" result, this can be the reason and also the way you treat the milk, i.e., not heating it to the correct temp, can do the same.

So here is the things you have to keep in mind.

The "trick" to yogurt with good consistency (the gluey and stringy stuff means some organism that is not compatible with the casein in the milk has contaminated the culture) is first heating the milk to the temp where the protein strands are able to relax and this is
82° C.
Then cooling the milk to 45° C  and then adding the culture and then maintaining the mile at a fairly constant temperature above 25° C for a minimum of 8 hours - I know some recipes specify shorter times but in my experience the consistency is not as good and I usually extend it to 12 hours, which for me produces a better flavor.

If you are having difficulty using store-bought yogurt, which has to be "pure" with absolutely no additives, no preservatives,  do try the  yogurt cultures from cheeselinks  and I am sure you will be much happier.
You can save some of the finished yogurt to make more but it does have to be re-started after about four batches.

I buy my cultures here in the US from the New England Cheesemaking company and get perfect results every time.   I do make repeat batches, using about 1/4 cup of the yogurt, mixed with some of the whey, which I save, but start with a new culture after three batches (2 liters in a batch).

The "TWEAK"
There are ways to speed up the process which are not all that difficult.

I heat milk (2 liters) in the microwave.  I have a 2 1/2 liter  measuring pitcher - not Pyrex but a similar type of glass.

I take the milk out of the fridge and let it stand at room temp for 2-3 hours so it is not ice cold.  I pour it into the glass vessel and microwave it (my microwave is 1000 watts) for 12 minutes which brings it close to the desired temp and then I stir it with a whisk to lift off the "skin" on top, check the temp as I stir with the probe and microwave an additional one or two minutes until it has reached about 185° F. or 85° C.   
(You must stir it prior to checking the temp because all liquids heat more rapidly at the upper portion of the mass when there is as sufficient volume and temps can vary by twenty degrees from top to bottom.)

There are various ways to rapidly cool the milk. 
Place the container into a larger bowl and fill it with cold water then add ice to the water.
 For larger volumes as when I prepare a gallon, I use a narrow plastic cylinder filled with ice that I set down into the milk  but for smaller amounts, you can use a couple of large stainless steel spoons that you have placed in the freezer to chill some hours earlier.
Chilling it from both the outside and inside can really cool it within a few minutes. 
You have to check the temp often.

The temperature range that is best for adding the yogurt culture (according to the California milk board) is no cooler than 40° C. and no warmer than 46° C.   (105 to 115 F.)
Being a little cooler is okay but these are optimum temps to guarantee the best results. 

Using purchased cultures instead of  commercial yogurt:

How it works is that you save back a small amount of the first batch to make the second batch - also save some of whey and mix it with the solids - and you can do this two or three more times, depending on how long you have held it.
I make a 1/2 gallon (2 liter) batch every three or four days and I always take two or three tablespoons immediately after the batch has finished incubating and put it in a tightly sealed glass container (sterilize it) in the coldest part of the fridge - I add an equal amount of whey when it appears.
I use this starter for the next batch, and so on.
I do it this way so it won't be contaminated by opening and closing the bigger container and introducing spoons, etc., into it.

I also get a Bulgarian culture which is lots more tangy - and somewhat more expensive - from the vendor here in the US and I have kept that culture going for ten repeat batches because it is a very vigorous culture.  After the tenth batch the results were not as firm and I started over with a new culture.

The thing is to try it and see how many batches you can get from a single starter. 

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:03 am »
Wow, that's really useful to know, although the tmx way is very easy for me, & works ok although now is ee there is plenty of room for improvement...
Is the thickness of your last batch what u usually get, or due to using cream? What I actually meant by mynfirst question was what are you using other than milk to make the yogurt?
Tia
Deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 08:17:59 am »
The photo I posted was of a batch made with what we in the states call half & half - other countries call it light cream.
It was very firm and remained firm until it was all used.  It also expressed less whey than the yogurt I make with regular milk.
When I scooped out some, the cavity in the yogurt did not fill in from the sides and only a little whey filled in after several hours.

The batch I made with heavy cream turned out much like clotted cream and I was able to remove the very thick part from the top of the yogurt (about 2/3rds of the total amount) and use that just like clotted cream as it was quite dense.  The bottom third was just very thick and very rich yogurt. 
Since then I have made a bigger batch with a half gallon of extra heavy cream - called "Manufacturers cream" here and 90% was very thick and dense like clotted cream.  The friend for whom I made it has purchased a yogurt maker (the electric Yo-Life) and has made two batches of her own for her tea room.  Her customers love it and are very complimentary and think it is better than the "stuff in the jars" that is real Devonshire cream.  She is thrilled and so am I. 
We are using commercial cultures because one does not want to take chances with the high price of this extra-heavy cream.

I don't use the TMX method because I usually prepare two liters at a time and the milk or cream tends to boil over if I fill the bowl that full.
I find that heating it in the microwave works best for me and I don't have to constantly watch it. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:20:00 am by andiesenji »

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 08:36:49 am »
Thanks - your efforts sound fab. Although hope cream is cheaper for you than the stuff here - about 74c per 100ml which would make an expensive yoghurt!
I do 2l of milk a time in the tmx and have never boiled over. I use 80C to start, but might try 90C next time, but perhaps a tad less milk.
Thanks again for the info
deb
deb

loving my tmx!