Author Topic: Carrot and raisin salad  (Read 56817 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
Carrot and raisin salad
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:47 am »
Dear All
here is my first recipe - here and on the recipecommunity website (url:
http://recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/carrot-and-raisin-salad/47482 )

I hope you enjoy it!
regards
Gillian

Makes 6 portion(s)
Ingredients

10 grams white wine vinegar OR apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice
20 grams olive oil - extra virgin
20 grams orange juice - juice your own, or use store-bought
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
1 clove garlic - peeled
1 bunch parsley - washed and dried
3 carrots - large, washed
1 raisins - use a handful - according to taste; OPTIONAL
 salt and pepper - to taste

Preparation

Place vinegar (or lemon juice, according to preference), olive oil, orange juice and wholegrain mustard in the Thermomix (TMX) bowl, and whisk together for 5 seconds/speed 7.  Scrape down sides of bowl.

2. With the blades running at speed 7, drop the clove of garlic through the hole in the lid.  Let the machine run, until you no longer hear the garlic being chopped.  This should take no more than about three seconds after the garlic has been added.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Wash the carrots, top & tail them, and then cut into thirds.  Place carrot pieces into the TMX bowl and then roughly chop them for 8 seconds/speed 4.  Be careful with your chopping - you want an approximately even sized texture, neither too big nor too small!  Adjust for your preferences.

4. OPTIONAL STEP:  Add a handful of raisins, if you'd like a sweet note to the salad, and stir them through gently by using REVERSE/4 seconds/speed 2.

5. Ensure that the flavours have time to develop, especially if you are using raisins!

6. Place in serving dish, garnish with a sprig of parsley, and enjoy!

7. Please let me know your feedback or suggestions on this recipe!  And please also leave notes if you tweak it to your palate, as I'd love to hear and learn!  Thank you!  Gillian

Tip

The acid (vinegar or lemon juice) can be varied, according to your taste, or in line with the rest of your menu.Additionally, you can add in chopped spring onions for extra flavour and health; you can change the raisins for dried cranberries; chopped chives also adds good flavour to this salad (fresh chives are better, but dried chives work too).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Carrot and raisin salad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:11 am »
Thanks for sharing the recipe with us too Gillian - I've done the Moroccan one by Thermomixer but this is different so come summer, I'll give it a go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
Dear Judy
Thank you for replying!  Your pork and ginger recipe was one of the first my mother and I tried... So you are my TMX guru!!!
Thank you again!
Rgds
Gillian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:34:23 am »
I missed this. It looks very nice. Like Judy, I will try it when it warms up a bit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:43 pm »
Brilliant! I'll look forward to the feedback!  Do think about varying the acid and the type of mustard to vary the tastes.
Enjoy! Rgds
Gillian

Offline Kazmic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
ok you mention a bunch of parsley in ingredients but then don't seem to put the parsley in.. I added it with carrots.  also it doesn't say when to add any chives or spring onions..I assumed with carrots?  Also wasn't clear if you leave the vinegar mix in when chopping carrots I did.
next time I will use a bit more carrot as I had too much vinegar mix sitting in the bottom of the bowl once it was finished.
overall taste was great and people enjoyed it :)