Author Topic: Looking for tomato relish recipie  (Read 43148 times)

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
Re: Looking for tomato relish recipie
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:26:07 pm »
Thanks Chelsea (and Sally) for the great recipe. I made this this afternoon and had a little taste - yummy!! One question though - it seems a bit runny for relish. I cooked it for longer than you suggested in the hope that it would thicken but it hasn't much. What do you think I've done wrong? And can I rectify the problem with this batch, or do you think it will just have to be a sauce for something now???   :(

TIA

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
Ohhh I love tomato relish. How many jars does it make?  I am so going to try this.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:34 am »
Thanks Chelsea (and Sally) for the great recipe. I made this this afternoon and had a little taste - yummy!! One question though - it seems a bit runny for relish. I cooked it for longer than you suggested in the hope that it would thicken but it hasn't much. What do you think I've done wrong? And can I rectify the problem with this batch, or do you think it will just have to be a sauce for something now???   :(

TIA

Hi Virgo.

Did you put folded paper towel in the hole with the MC to thicken it?  That normally does the trick. If it is really runny perhaps you could strain some using your rice basket and put it back in the bowl to thicken a bit more at varoma temp. I hope it works out for you.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »
Have just finished the last of the tomato relish made back in August/ Sept after receiving the wonderful recipe form you Chelsea - thanks a bunch!  We have eaten it on cold meat, bbq meats, roast, crackers and used it as a dip with blanched vegs.  Can't wait until we have our home grown tomatoes again in 2011.  Cheers  :) Robyn
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:55:49 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:59 pm »
Hi chelsea
thanks for this great recipe, i made it today. tastes beautiful, but i just cant get it to thicken .  i put doubled piece of paper under the mc , and this helped a little bit but it is still runny for relish.  am gonna cook it for longer on varoma and see how that goes. anyone have any other suggestions?
Emma from Victoria

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
Oh bummer Em!  The only time it has ever been too runny for me was when I used thawed tomatoes instead of fresh (way too much liquid).  I ended up straining some liquid out and cooking it on varoma temp for an additional 10 minutes.  The other two times I have made it worked perfectly. Perhaps reduce the vinegar or squeeze the tomatoes a little if they seem extra juicy?  ??? :)

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 10:49:15 am »
it turned out ok, i cooked on varoma for an extra 15 mins. it was still abit to runny, but i didnt have time to keep cooking it so i just put it into jars and into the fridge and it has thickened abit more.  it has the yummiest flavour, the best relish i have ever tasted.
i was thinking that chelsea maybe depends on how juicy the tomato's are, i used fresh they were nice and plump.  next time i will reduce the vinegar abit and see how that goes.  :)
Emma from Victoria

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 02:19:33 pm »
Hi Chelsea, sorry haven't replied til now. Yes, I did use the paper towel trick and cooked it for an extra 20 mins. When I actually looked at it though, it wasn't too runny and I think it would pass. I gave one jar to my mum and another to my DB and SIL. Hope they're happy with it! The tomatoes were quite juicy - we have oodles at the moment and I'm trying to use them up. Next time I'll cook it on varoma as you suggested and/or reduce the vinegar. Now, onto a tomato sauce recipe.....

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »
Try the ketchup from my way of cooking virgo it is yummo  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 12:40:49 am »
My CWA recipe (non thermomix) says to sprinkle cut tomatoes and onions with salt for 24 hours and then drain juice and then cook as per this recipe.  I wonder if that would help with the runniness.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 02:09:20 am »
that sounds like a good tip, less juice thanks medusa
Emma from Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 02:14:43 am »
Gotta love anything those CWA ladies suggest, they are great cooks  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shiraz49

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 04:38:13 am »
Does the paper towel just absorb some of the moisture?

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:40 am »
My CWA recipe (non thermomix) says to sprinkle cut tomatoes and onions with salt for 24 hours and then drain juice and then cook as per this recipe.  I wonder if that would help with the runniness.

I made a batch of relish tonight (using juicy tomatoes) and tried the salting method.  I only got about 1/4 cup of liquid from the tomatoes and onions after a 24 hour soak.  The tomatoes were quite juicy, so it was a bit surprising.  Another way I removed some more juice tonight was to squish the tomatoes down with the spatula after they were chopped and spoon the juice off the top.  I also cooked the relish for an extra 10 minutes at varoma temp.  The relish is still warm, but is already lovely and thick (not moving at all when the jar is tipped).  I just had to try it for myself. :)

Offline Sharon1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 04:27:16 am »
I have just made the relish and also had problems with being too runny..I cooked for an extra 20 mins using varoma temp and the strainer basket on the top.  Moisture level in the bowl dropped by at least 1.5cm for each 10 mins.  Relish is now lovely and thick!  (I also added 3 cloves of garlic).  My kitchen smells divine, and we will have our first real taste tonight when the homemade sausage rolls are cooked!  Thanks to Sally and Chelsea for the great recipe!