Author Topic: Cheesy Garlic Bread - with photos  (Read 73474 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Cheesy Garlic Bread - with photos
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:42:00 am »
CHEESY GARLIC BREAD

520g baker’s flour 
1 tsp salt
30g butter, diced
2 tsp instant dried yeast
290g lukewarm water, (chookie recommends using 300g water for an even lighter bread)
2 tsp bread improver  - optional
Beaten egg to glaze

Place flour, salt, (improver if using) and butter in TM bowl.  Turbo a couple of times until butter has combined into the flour.
Add yeast and water, then set to closed lid position and knead on interval speed/3 mins.
Leave in bowl to rise for about 1 hour with MC in place.

Knock dough down on Interval speed/1 min.  Remove as much of the dough as possible from the bowl. Place bowl back on the stand and turn speed up to 6 for about 2 seconds to flick remaining dough off blades.  Remove blades and get remainder of dough out of bowl.

Weigh the dough and then split into 2 even pieces.
Shape each piece into a baguette about 35cm long. The dough is lovely and silky smooth.
Place on a lined baking tray or a baguette mould, cover with a damp clean tea towel and leave to rise for 20 mins. Preheat oven 220C.

Make a slit along the top length of each baguette and brush with beaten egg. 
Bake for 15 – 20 mins, or until golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the base.
Reduce oven to 190C.

Garlic butter
90g butter, softened
90g tasty cheddar cheese, cubed
2 plump garlic cloves, crushed (mine was big so only used 1)
¼ cup snipped chives (use scissors)
Salt & freshly ground pepper

With blades turning on speed 7, drop garlic through opening in the lid.
Add cubed cheese into bowl, grate 6 secs/speed 8.  Scrape down bowl.
Add butter, salt & pepper and snipped chives.  Combine on Reverse + speed 5 until thoroughly mixed.  Remove to a bowl. (do the flicking off on speed 6 again).

When the bread is cool enough to handle, cut into 2.5cm slices, not all the way through you want it still  joined at the bottom. 
Spread the garlic butter between the slices, wrap in foil and bake for 15-20 mins.
In the last 5-10 mins of cooking, open foil to expose the top part of the bread to allow it to crispen up.

If only wanting one baguette at a time, wrap one of the rolls in an extra sheet of alfoil then put in the freezer for another time, (already buttered). 

I only made this for the first time last week but found it a bit dense so I've played about with the quantities of flour and water and am now happy with how it turned out. 

If this size bread is too big for you, just divide the dough into 4, each one would be enough for 2 persons, or you could do like I did and make one big one 35cm which was perfect for us today as my daughter was visiting, and I've put 2 smaller ones in the freeze for when it's just DH and I home.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:27:43 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesy Garlic Bread - with photos
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:46:47 am »
Wonderful, thank you Julie
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:53:40 am »
No worries Judy, I had to post it so I could have a look at it as I can't see it in Preview!  I added a bit, highlighted in italic.  :)

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »
.....and another one being printed now, thank you Julie

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:00:14 pm »
oooh, julie, yum. love your recipes and photos! so considerate of you to take photos of the insides as well....drool....why isn't there a drool emoticon?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:01:00 pm »
Thanks JulieO, awesome recipe.Like virgo9 have printed it off. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »
julieO,  this looks yummy and who doesn't like garlic bread. ;D ;D ;D   You could consider 300g. water,  for an even lighter loaf.  Thanks again for the beautiful photos.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:07 am »
Thanks Julie for the recipe....can't wait to try it!
I can almost smell it from your gorgeous photo.

Whisks....use this for the drool emoticon  :P :P :P :P because my tongue is now hanging out for some garlic bread  ;D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:37:37 am »
..........................another being printed....................poor trees. :'( :'( Too many delicious recipes. :P :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:58 am »
Thankyou everyone, you're all so nice and encouraging!   :D

Chookie, I will try with the extra 10g water next time, thankyou.  Have also noted in the recipe.   :-*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:28:29 am by JulieO »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 01:46:07 am »
great to have with a bbq, now that summer is here. thanks JO
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 04:17:02 am »
Well, mine don't look anywhere as nice as yours JulieO but as you can see, we have tried one of them before I got around to filling them with the garlic mixture.  I used the extra water as Chookie suggested and it is a nice light baguette.  Off to fill 3 of them and for the time being their home will be in the freezer.  Today for the first time I really needed that second bowl as I had so many things on the go at once that I had to take this dough out and let it rise in a bowl then hand-kneaded it before the second rise.  Thanks for the recipe Julie.

Oops, forgot the picture - here it is.  I have also spoilt myself today and ordered a second bowl set. These baguettes turned out to be very expensive  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:23:52 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:35:52 am »
I also made these for dinner last night, and it didn't look as good as your beautiful breads Julie, but tasted really yummy  :) I think next time I make it just for my family I would probably make it into 3 breads, as one was just a little too much for us. But it's great knowing we've got another one ready to go in the freezer. Thanks again ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:12 am »
Judy you will love the extra bowl, it is so handy.  I'm glad you liked the $400 baguettes!  :D

Virgo, I'm glad you enjoyed them too.  It's good to be able to make them in the size suitable for your family.  They do reheat very well too from frozen - a good stand by and nicer than store bought.  Don't worry, my second lot looked much better than my first attempt, as long as they tasted good that's all that matters.   ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
Lovely looking bread Judy even though it cost you $400 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I would have said the second bowl was an essential early Christmas  present to yourself. ;) ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.