Author Topic: Steamed eggs with leeks  (Read 10699 times)

Offline jflim

• View Profile
Steamed eggs with leeks
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »
Name of Recipe: Steamed Eggs with Leeks

Ingredients:
Eggs x 3
Leek x 1 stalk/stem ( thinly sliced rings)
Salt or Light Soya sauce
Pepper

Preparation:

1.   Gently beat eggs in dish for steaming.
2.   Mix in sliced leek.
3.   Add in slightly more than one tablespoon water.
4.   Add salt or soya sauce & pepper to taste.
5.   If water below is already hot, set at Varoma, speed 2-3 for 8 minutes.
6.   Garnish with fried onions & garlic before serving. (optional)

Tips/Hints:

1.   Other types of vegetable may replace the leek in this recipe. Chopped tomato too or sliced shitake mushrooms… some use pickled vegetables or simply eggs alone.
2.   Eggs can be reduced to 2 or 1 even and the amount of water will give you a firmer or softer end result.
3.   Another favourite way of this dish is with the addition of minced meat. Preferably minced pork or chicken – approximately 150g with an egg. Sometimes I use two eggs and more water. There’s this pickled veg – chopped up; that gives the dish a  crunchy texture. Add 5-8minutes to ensure the meat is cooked properly but not too long as it will be too hard.
4.   Some would even add in a salted duck egg or the black century eggs with the normal ones.
5.   Garnishing is optional. Fresh parsley or coriander leaves or fried onions or fried garlic or nothing at all! 
6.   There are many ways you can add flavours and taste to this dish but it’s basic ingredients are eggs, minced meat, salt and pepper.

This dish is very common in most Chinese homes here and it’s one of the easiest to prepare and enjoyed with rice.
I hope you will try it. Easy, quick and tasty. You can steam it while cooking your rice below.

Enjoy!
A full time nanny who prefers cooking from scratch, usually cooks with whatever's within reach, bad at measurements but good at fixing & trying to manage 3 blogs when time permits ;) Do drop in when you can...... :)
http://www.blogger.com/profile/15640963317739722936

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Steamed eggs with leeks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
I love recipes that are quick and full of flavour, especially when I'm running late and have no idea of what to cook.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »
JFLim,  thanks again for this recipe.   For years I have made this on stove top and we love it,   I usually add bean shoots and a few water chestnuts.  Never thought to convert to TMX.!!!  Good photos again.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
Thank you so much for posting JF! These recipes are great!

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:29:32 am »
Thank you all. Glad you like it.  :)
A full time nanny who prefers cooking from scratch, usually cooks with whatever's within reach, bad at measurements but good at fixing & trying to manage 3 blogs when time permits ;) Do drop in when you can...... :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:55:48 am »
simple and delicous by the looks. jflim is your bowl you are using in the varoma a special Thermomix bowl?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:12:46 am »
simple and delicous by the looks. jflim is your bowl you are using in the varoma a special Thermomix bowl?
Hi CreamPuff63,

No it's not. My mum actually went looking for these oval dishes and came back with a few different sizes. :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:15:31 am »
did she find them in an Asian shop, or a cookware shop - I've never seen that particular shape in stainless steel?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:57:17 pm »
did she find them in an Asian shop, or a cookware shop - I've never seen that particular shape in stainless steel?

Well in Malaysia you can see them in many places. Even the hawkers are selling stainless steel wares at the morning market. I would suggest you check in the Asian and Indian shops where you are, I assume is Australia. They may carry these wares. Or China town. Hope this helps :)

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »
Hi everyone!

Here's a pic of what I did yesterday. Same method, slightly different ingredients  ;)

Eggs, sliced tomatoes, tiny diced carrots to give a crunchy texture, bit of sliced shallots, chopped up prawns, salt & pepper to taste and fish balls with cheese inside them!

Weird but delicious!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:12:28 pm by jflim »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:10:13 am »
These really look amazing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »
These really look amazing.
Thank you cookie1....they tasted delicious too. :)