A non official Thermomix forum. Thermomix is a registered trademark of Vorwerk.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:54:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
347788 Posts in 14261 Topics by 11199 Members
Latest Member: Helen17
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Forum Thermomix
|-+  Swapping Recipes
| |-+  Main Dishes (Moderators: cookie1, judydawn, Cornish Cream)
| | |-+  Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au  (Read 10094 times)
pennywise

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »

Name of Recipe: Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au
Number of People: 3-4
Ingredients:
• 45 g (1 slice) of bread
•6 0 g thickened cream
• 500 g lean beef mince
• 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
• 1 whole garlic clove, peeled
• Pinch of ground allspice
• 1 egg
• 1/2 tsp salt
• Pepper
• Vegetable oil
• 250 g beef stock
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 100 g thickened cream, extra
Preparation:
1. Tear bread into pieces and place into Thermomix bowl. Grate for 10 seconds on Speed 8. Remove breadcrumbs from bowl and mix the first lot of cream (60g) into them. Set aside.
2. Place onion and garlic into Thermomix bowl. Chop for 2-3 seconds on Speed 7.
3. Add the mince, breadcrumbs, allspice, egg, salt and pepper. Mix for 15 seconds on Speed 2.
4. With wetted hands, shape mixture into small balls (I made 24) and place onto baking sheet.
5. Brush each meatball with vegetable oil and brown each side under a hot grill.
6. Add beef stock to Thermomix bowl and place basket in bowl. Add all meatballs to the basket. Cook for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature, speed  soft.
7. Remove basket and set meatballs aside (in Thermoserver if you have one).
8. Combine the cornflour with a little water and stir into the stock mixture. Add extra cream and cook 6 minutes at 90 ◦C, speed 3. Pour sauce over meatballs. I served this dish with steamed broccoli and basmati rice.
Photos:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/15455/swedish+meatballs
Tips/Hints:
For step 5, you may like to fry the meatballs instead. I prefer grilling because it is less messy and uses less oil.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:29:12 AM by judydawn » Logged
judydawn
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:14 AM »

You certainly hit the ground running pennywise with your first posting being a conversion.  Hi and welcome to the forum, perhaps you could post in the Introduction thread and tell us all a bit about yourself, where you are from, how long you've had your machine etc

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Learn from the mistakes of others. You haven’t time to make them all yourself.
cookie1
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »

Welcome.

May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.
pennywise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »

Thank you both for your welcome messages. I will post an introduction soon. I have only had my machine for about 3 weeks, but have had a lot of fun trying out recipes from the forum and from the EDC cookbook.  Cheesy
Caroline J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »

This is on my menu plan for the week, I hope my kids like it!
Merlin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

I did the Swedish meatball recipe from the EDC using the Varoma and I can't believe how good they tasted, particularly as I am used to frying my meatballs previously with other recipes. The sauce was also lovely. I did a hybrid of the recipe on this post and the EDC one and I think allspice works better than the cloves anyway. Also, I have lots of dill growing in the garden so it's a perfect way to use up herbs. I have done a version with parsley which works really well also. I am looking forward to trying out my next recipe from the EDC as I gradually work my way through it!

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein
Merlin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »

Sorry, I just realised I did the meatballs from the Meat on the Menu cookbook not EDC- in either case, they turned out really well.
In fact, most of my recipes seem to come from the Meat on the Menu cookbook these days.

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein
Thermomixer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »

Welcome & good work pennywise (any relation to sally wise  Wink ).  Great recipe & better to grill than fry.  Kiss Kiss

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.
Amy101

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »

Made this tonight for my family of six, served with Parmesan mash and steamed carrot. Kids all ate it up and asked for more  Managed to add a few extra Vegies  to the gravy without  the kids noticing too! Bonus.  I'm totally in love with my Thermomix. Grin
johnro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »

Delicious and quick meal pennywise - served with steamed carrot and broccoli.  I brown the meatballs on stove top after light spraying with ricebran oil.  Thank you for the posting - the time saved after arriving home late from work was a blessing!!  Smiley  Smiley

Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  Smiley

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.
debetha

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »

forgot to add that we have no leftovers - 2 adukts and 3 kids aged  7, 4 &2!

deb

loving my tmx!
Frozzie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »

we had this the other night with brons garlic rice and supposed to have vegies with but ended up not having them as they werent at all cooked in the time and it was already late so it was the meatballs, sauce and the rice...still quite nice...nothing exceptional but quite nice meatballs...i cooked mine in the basket and also in the top varoma tray...next time i would cook the vegies a good 10 minutes before adding the meat.  I cooked brons rice just before and put it in the equivalent of the thermoserv..

Kim Smiley ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/
rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »

We tried this recipe tonight and I cooked the meatballs in the basket, not varoma, the family enjoyed it, served with couscous and steamed vegies on the stove but all felt it needed more sauce, will do again adding more stock and cream to create a sauce.   Smiley
Traydon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »

Going to give this one a go right now but as I am new to TMX I have a little question, hope I don't sound too dumb asking it, is the basket mentioned above the one that I used for rice the other day, sits inside the bowl??? Actually feel kinda dumb writing this question so forgive me....

cheers
judydawn
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »

No question is dumb around here Traydon, yes it is that basket.  You can stick anything in there to steam as well as using the varoma dish and tray.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Learn from the mistakes of others. You haven’t time to make them all yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: