Author Topic: Basmati Risotto with Grilled Prawns (with Photo)  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Trissalicious

• View Profile
Basmati Risotto with Grilled Prawns (with Photo)
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:34 am »
I had dinner the other night at Tomislav restaurant in Sydney and had the most amazing basmati risotto.  I adapted the recipe for the thermomix.   Here is the post and the recipe. 

http://trissalicious.com/2010/10/04/dare-me-tomislavs-basmati-risotto-with-prawns/

Tomislav’s Basmati Risotto with Prawns
250 grams good quality Basmati Rice
1000 to 1500 ml good quality hot chicken stock (homemade is best)
125 grams unsalted butter
10 ml soy sauce
40 grams acidulated butter (see below)
2 tablespoons mascarpone
Lemon Juice
Chopped Nori roll (1 sheet)
1 tablespoon chopped chives
200 grams prawns, chopped

Using the Thermomix
FYI: I halved the recipe on the Thermomix so just half all the ingredients above.  This serves around 3 to 4 people.

Heat the butter at 100c on speed 3 for 2 minutes.
Add the rice and heat for 5 minutes using the butterfly attachment on reverse and speed soft.
Add the stock (I added 500 ml for 125 grams rice but feel free to add more stock if necessary towards the end of the cooking time) and continue to cook (butterfly attachment, reverse, speed soft) for 15 minutes.
Add the soy, acidulated butter, mascarpone, lemon juice, nori and chives and give it another stir for 5 or so seconds on reverse, speed soft.
Top with grilled prawns and lemon zest and serve immediately.

Acidulated Butter

100 grams unsalted butter
50 grams basmati rice
In a pan, melt the butter and add the rice and cook until nutty brown flavour is released. Pass this through a sieve. Set aside.

90 ml white wine
90 ml white wine vinegar
1/2 finely chopped onion
100 grams butter
Combine the onion, white wine and white wine vinegar and heat in a pan and reduce until the pan is almost dry. Take this off the heat and whisk in the butter until the butter is emulsified. Pass through a sieve.

Mix both butters and leave to set in the fridge for around 8 hours. You will have enough for several batches and this lasts a few days in the fridge.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Basmati Risotto with Grilled Prawns (with Photo)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:01 am »
This looks delicious Trissa.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:20 am »
Who'd athunk you could make risotto with basmati! I know I would much prefer it as I love the flavour of basmati rice.
That brings a whole new lot of ideas to mind, such as a curried basmati risotto!

I've never heard of acidulated butter, sounds really weird. But, obviously adds an important flavour component to the dish.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:44:44 am »
The person who thought to make risotto with basmati rice was Carlo Cracco at Ristorante Cracco in Milan.  Heston Blumenthal discovered the Thermomix with Carlo showing him that recipe.

Thanks for sharing Trissa. Really does sound great combination.

Didn't get to Tomislav's despite Lynette's insistence/perserverance.  Think he is doing a TMX class/lunch on Nov 27?  Should be fun.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.