Author Topic: BEATTY'S BISCUITS  (Read 16561 times)

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
BEATTY'S BISCUITS
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:06:31 pm »
original recipe from Herald Sun Readers recipes
submited by Beatty Blennerbasset - Bengworden

This is the only biscuit recipe I ever use and you will see why. I Always DOUBLE THE RECIPE

125g butter or flora margarine
90g castor sugar
1 egg
190g S.R.Flour
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 190c and line baking tray with baking paper.
Melt butter in TM 0n 90c for 1 minute on  ^^. Add sugar and vanilla and beat on speed 3.  Gradually add egg and then flour,
set dial to closed lid position, and mix for 30 seconds on Interval speed  ::.
Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto biscuit tray and bake for around 12-15 minutes

VARIATIONS

Drop biscuits is our family favorite and when every we had kids over for a play I each gave them a bowl and a wooden spoon with a choice of things to mix in they loved it. ;D Sometimes there was even some to take homeand 100's and thousands on faces and the floor.

DROP BISCUITS: omit some of the flour and make up with:
*Custard powder - add with flour, roll into sausage cut into slices, put on tray flatten with a fork.  If like join with icing and you have YO Yo's.
*cornflour - add ingredients last and Knead for 20-40 seconds on interval speed.roll into balls flatten each into a saucer of Castor sugar. Bake sugar side up. Bake till lightly brown.  
*coconut, cornflacks, mixed fruit - add ingredients last and Knead for 20-40 seconds on interval speedteaspoonful on tray flatten with a fork top with small piece of Cherie if you like.
*cocoa powder, coconut and cornflakes - add ingredients last and Knead for 20-40 seconds on interval speed, place teaspoonful on tray flatten with a fork top with small piece of cherrie if you like.
*peanut butter, chopped peanuts about 30 g of each added to mixture -teaspoonful on tray cross with a fork fork
*orange or lemon juice and add rind to sugar first pulverise 30 seconds then and butter and melt can decorate with lemon icing.
*90g coconut - add with flour roll into balls flatten each into a saucer of Castor sugar. Bake sugar side up. Bake till lightly brown
*choc chip - add last and mix for 30 seconds on interval you can also put cocoa in with flour or add nuts too.
*use your imagination the combinations are endless try pressing into 100's and 1000's.

GINGERBREAD MEN: Add 1 tsp ground ginger and 1 dessert spoon of golden syrup to basic mix.  Roll out and cut into gingerbread men with cutter. Put on try with currant eyes, peel for nose, cherry mouth and sultana button or decorate with icing.. Tell the story of the "little gingerbread man" to you children while making them together.

ROLLED BISCUITS: roll out pastry.  Cut biscuits into shapes such as stars or rounds with cutter put on oven tray and top with walnuts or cherries.

I have never actually made any of the ones below but are part of Beatty's recipe so let me know how you go.

BAKED OWLS: divide the mixture(I just make another it is easier in TM) Add cocoa with flour and add finely chopped nuts and knead at 20 seconds longer on interval speed into one half. and form into sausage shape.  Roll out plain half into a rectangle, place the cocoa/nut 'sausage on top and roll up like a sausage roll so it is encased in the pastry.  Refridgerate 1 hour. cut into thin slices. Place 2 slices side by side on tray and 'pinch' edge of biscuit to make ears, put a whole cashew in center for the beak, place 2 choc bits for eyes. Leave room for them to spread.

CHERRY BARS: use brown sugar instead of white. chopped  green yellow and red cherries in TM first far a few seconds.  Make mixture into bars about 2 inches(5cm) by 1 inch (2.5cm). Refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into thin slices and bake.

JAM TART: roll out mixture, cut into rounds, line small patty cake pan and fill with jam.

COCONUT TARTS: as for jam tarts top with egg whites(use only the yoke in biscuits) Place egg white in TM bowl beat without MC in place for 3-5 minutes at 50c on speed 5 gradually combine with 30g icing sugar and 30-60g coconut

MUSHROOMS: bake tart cases with a filling made with 60g butter in TM 0n 90c for 1 minute on soft speed. Add 60g sugar and 60g boiling water mix on speed 5 for 15 seconds.  Sprinkle cooked cases with cinnamon put in a stalk made from leftover pastry

RASBERRY SLICE: roll out pastry to fit lamington tin.  Top with jam and egg white mix - Place egg white in TM bowl beat without MC in place for 3-5 minutes at 50c on speed 5 gradually combine with 30g icing sugar and 30-60g coconut and egg white.  Bake until golden on top.

APPLE SLICE: roll as a base, add stewed apples sprinkle with cinnamon and top another layer of pastry. Bake or use sour cream as topping See berringamababes apples slice.

FRUIT DESSERT: use half the mixture rolled out as abase. Spread with jam mixed with dried fruit.  Add milk to other half of mixture to make a cake batter and pour over mixed fruit. Bake

Members' comments

em - I made them but didn't have vanilla, they were still nice and my ds got the cookie cutter shapes out and made all sorts of different things with them! very fun and they were yummy to, I will be having another go at them when I have vanilla in the house again!

DJ - I made these with some ground rice in place of some flour.
Tasted good but don't keep their shape. I have a 'homemade' stamp. It was a pressie.
Any suggestions? I think it is the egg that makes them spread. Thank you as they seem to be great cookies.

Denzelmum - made drop biscuit with some Smarties. Very much like shortbread.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:35:49 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BEATTY'S BISCUITS
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:19:55 am »
I can see why you don't need any other biscuit recipe - choices are endless here. Thanks for posting this recipe BB
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:34:43 am »
What a recipe.  It just about covers everything.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:12:29 am »
hi berringamababe
this looks like a great recipe, i am gonna give it a go tonight.  it might be just that i am blind but i cant see how much sugar is meant to into the recipe!
Emma from Victoria

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 11:58:24 am »
 :o ops no you aren't blind I left it out.  Hope I didn't leave much more out.  Hope your family enjoy it as much as mine does, I have used this recipe for about 16 years now.  I lived in North East Victoria and every Wednesday in The Sun herald readers would submit a favourite recipe and this is one that became one of mine, it is too good not to share thanks to Beatty :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:01:20 pm by berringamababe »

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »
also do u add the egg with the sugar or with the flour??
i made them but didnt have vanilla, they were still nice and my ds got the cookie cutter shapes out and made all sorts of different things with them! very fun and they were yummy to, i will be having another go at them wen i have vanilla in the house again!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:19:32 pm »
Amazing recipe.
also do u add the egg with the sugar or with the flour??
i made them but didnt have vanilla, they were still nice and my ds got the cookie cutter shapes out and made all sorts of different things with them! very fun and they were yummy to, i will be having another go at them wen i have vanilla in the house again!
em there is a post on here about making your own vanilla extract  ;)
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1661.0
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:58:54 am »
Thanks BB,  this is my type of biscuit.   Will certainly give some of the variations a try.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:23:21 am »
Great recipe!!  Must give this a try soon.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:58:28 am »
thanks cornish cream, very interesting reading!! will be getting our own vanilla essence started this week!!
Emma from Victoria

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:07:19 am »
thanks CC for bumping this vanilla essence recipe. Every time I pay for a small bottle in the supermarket - and its now costing close to $11 - I think I could be making my own in copius quantities for a lot less...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:41 pm »
I need to make some too CP63 for that very reason.  I have plenty of brandy so will try that version when I get the vanilla pods.
Anyone know whether the vodka version is better than the brandy one.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »
I prefer brandy (it smells so nice with the vanilla), but I think vodka can be cheaper to buy.  My last vanilla beans from ebay were just fantastic.  Only $12 again for 12 fat beans (including postage).  I had to use a different seller this time but the beans are just as good (maybe better). I just love the aroma. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 12:28:48 pm »
Thanks Chelsea, what quantities of brandy and vanilla beans did you use and could I please have a link to your supplier as I think I may as well buy them in bulk rather than pay $3 or more for 1 bean! My SIL brings me back a bottle of brandy everytime he goes overseas so that is one reason I will be using brandy.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:26 pm »

Here is the link for 12 beans for $11.75 (with free post), but I think the link will only work until the listing ends.  For those reading this after the link has failed I have found Spice West and Mr Vanilla both to be really good ebay sellers for vanilla beans in Oz.  Just type in vanilla beans in the ebay browser and you will see them all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:37:11 am by judydawn »