Author Topic: Salad Dressing from the Agrarian Kitchen  (Read 8495 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Salad Dressing from the Agrarian Kitchen
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:31 am »
Salad Dressing /Rodney Dunn
On Saturday 28th. August 2010, I attended The Agrarian Kitchen for a cooking class. Several of the recipes are suitable for conversion to the TMX. Rodney Dunn 'borrowed' this recipe from Jamie Oliver. It was used to dress a salad of Salsify roots and mixed salad greens. I think you could replace the salsify with parsnip.

Salad for 10 serves

2kg. salsify roots, or (parsnips)
200g. salad greens
1/2 cup of chopped almonds

300g milk
6 cloves of garlic peeled
3 anchovy fillets
2 Tablespoons of white wine Vinegar
120 g. extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Cook the salsify in boiling water until tender, rub off skin with fingers, OR peel parsnip and slice and steam in Varoma until cooked.

Place milk , garlic and anchovies in TMX bowl and cook for 10 mins on varoma, or until garlic is soft.

Add wine, oil and mustard to bowl and zap until garlic is incorporated into mixture.Speed 7 for 10 seconds.

Place in jug, cover and put in fridge to use as a salad dressing.

Dry fry the almonds until roasted, Put aside.

Mix Salsify/parsnip with greens and dress with dressing. Sprinkle with almonds.
Posted by elizabeth at 11:55 PM

See photo on Blog
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:55:17 am by achookwoman »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Salad Dressing from the Agrarian Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »
Interesting recipe Chookie, bet you were in your element at that cooking class. Could that dressing be used on any salad, eg tossed or potato etc.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:35 am »
Interesting recipe Chookie, bet you were in your element at that cooking class. Could that dressing be used on any salad, eg tossed or potato etc.
   Yes JD,  you could use it on any salad,  and I know you don't like anchovies,  so you could leave these out.   However that said,  you can't taste them ,  but they give it a little 'something'.   I wrote recently how I add 1/2 an avocado to the bowl after making EDC mayo.   While in Hobart at 'Smolt",  a lovely restaurant,  we ate a Blue Eye fish dish,  served with a sauce like mayo with roasted Red peppers.  (Capsicums).   I think that if I substituted.  the avo for roasted red pepper I would produce the classy subtle sauce.  I will let all know when I have tried it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:59:53 am »
I am warming to the taste Chookie, as long as I can't see them and there aren't too many used!  Mum and I ordered a caesar salad recently but it was way too salty so it looks like I will have to make my own this coming summer.  Like the sound of the roasted red pepper mayo too - my stock in the freezer has run out but at the moment the price of red capsicums is far too high to be making another batch.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
Judy that is a pretty classic dressing. You could also use buttermilk instead of milk. Add just a couple of anchovies and  you won't know they  are in it. You can do a lot with the basic  recipe like adding avocado or sun dried tomatoes. Just a basic simple creamy dressing.I love it.

I usually use anchovies in place of salt in salad dressings.

Don't we wish we were there Judy? Oh my.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:23 am »
Well girls,  JD and Gretchen,  you would have loved it and I would have loved having you there.   You are right it is a basic dressing,  you could add anything....poppyseeds?

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:52 am »
Would you recommend a class at the kitchen? Have contemplated taking my DH for our anniversary

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:52 am »
Absolutely!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:22 am »
Well if we can't get to these cooking classes the next best thing is that Chookie did and she will share all her recipes with us.  ;D ;D

Having milk in this dressing makes me wonder how long it would last in the fridge.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »
Pinkscrapbooker,  I would definitely recommend a visit.   This was my second and will be going back for a third.  One of the girls at the course was given it as a 40th. birthday present,   she was delighted.   Another man was also given it as a present,  and both he and his wife attended.  You need to read about the philosophy behind the school.  There are only 8 'students' in each class,  and on both occasions all have mixed really well.   If you want to know more just ask.   There next programme will be released on the 1st. Sep. and books out very quickly.

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:34 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. My mum and dad have a small property in the area, and are quite intrigued by what is being offered at the kitchen, but as my mum is a retired home economics teacher she would never pay anyone to teach her to cook! We have a foodie guest spending the weekend with us in October from NY, will investigate taking her there maybe.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:34 pm »
Pinkscrapbooker,  check out the web site,  I think they are booked out until next Feb.  They do have a wait list.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:17:08 am »
Thanks Chookie.  It is hard to find salsify, but it would work well with parsnip, asparagus or artichoke hearts.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.