Author Topic: Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake - EDC  (Read 26429 times)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake - EDC
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:14:34 am »
Made this yesterday, with less sugar (only 230g), and juice of the whole orange.  I used square 23cm tray, it's a huge cake.  Came out beautiful from the oven, however within an hour one part sunk, and when tried to cut, it's have soft part-oozing, decided to put back to the oven another 20 minutes.  Still come out like having custard bit inside the cake (the bottom part exactly like butter cake, then come custard bit and the crunchy crust, maybe cook it way too long) , but taste so GOOD, evil cake!  Next time will reduce the sugar to 200g, still sweet enough and orange juice also become natural sweetener.

Rate: 4.5/5
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake - EDC
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »
Maybe your oven was too hot or the oven shelf too high, therefore a good crust had formed, and although it looked cooked it wasn't cooked underneath.The cake should have shrunk away slightly from the sides of the tin and when a skewer (or toothpick) inserted in the middle comes out clean.Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:07:24 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:17 am »
Thank you cornish cream, maybe the oven.  When I checked with cake tester it came out clean, but when I cut there is "custard" bit, which actually taste yum....

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »
Denzelmun I use this when I test my cake,
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/reusable-cake-tester/F/product/10711 and have good results with it, even though the reviews aren't very good.I don't know if you can buy something similar in Oz?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:08:31 pm by Cornish Cream »
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:39 am »
I would say you just used the wrong sized cake tin. It needs a 20 x 30 tin to spread the mixture out.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:28:48 pm »
Thank you MeganJane!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:56 am »
What a pity my 'mob' don't like coconut. DH can smell a teaspoonful at 50 paces.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33:15 am »
I have this in the oven now.  It seems to be rising nicely in my slab tin (20 x 30cm).  We have friends coming over for afternoon tea in less than an hour so I really hope it works out.  I had to run out in the rain (twice!!!) whilst making it, so it had better work  >:(  ;D.  I really need to go back to getting all of my ingredients out before I begin, to save me running to the hen house and lemon tree half way through!!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 04:10:26 am »
Hope things work out for your next attempt Denzelmum.  Sounds like it may have benefited from longer, maybe slower cooking
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:07 am »
Thanks for the review, on my list to try :)

Offline astrogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:53:25 am »
Hi denzelmum,

i made this last saturday and the same thing happened to me.  it came out with a crust ( which i actually like so no worries there ) and not cooked enough inside.  i also had to put back in oven for another 15 mins.  no doubt that it still tasted yum and i served it up to guests no worries at all.  next time i will cook at 160 - 17- for a bit longer.   it only lasted 2 days in our house!

Astrid

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »
I forgot to review this one.  By the time mine was cooked on the inside (and I did use the large tin) it was overcooked on the outside.  It was ok, but I won't be making it again.  Definitely not the "best ever".

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake from Nico versus the one from EDC
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:49:23 pm »
I have to tell you guys that Nico Moretti's Coconut Cake is the best one I have ever tasted.  The recipe is on a leaflet I received when I went to his first cooking class in Adelaide but is also in his book Cooking Passions: Food for Friends in which some of the recipes he has added conversions for the TMX. At our class he did not say we could not post his recipes done that night but from then on he did so I am going to be very brave and post this one. You will love it, my DD whips it up all the time and has even had to give the non-TMX version to her friends who are not lucky enough to have a TMX.

Cake Ingredients
170g raw sugar
120g butter
150g self raising flour
50g desiccated coconut
1 egg
60g milk
60g coconut milk

Ingredients - syrup
170g tin passionfruit pulp
50g water
60g sugar

150g whipping cream to serve

Pre-heat oven to 180oC.  Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.  Place sugar into TM bowl and pulverise for 5 seconds on speed 9. Set aside.
Add butter to bowl and melt for 2 mins at 60o on speed 2.
Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 30 minutes in a fan forced oven or until a skewer withdraws dry when tested (may take longer in some ovens - should be golden brown on top). Allow to stand in the tin for 10 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool.  Wash and dry TM bowl.

To make syrup - place passionfruit pulp, water and sugar into TM bowl and cook for 7 mins at 100o on speed 4.
Allow to cool and thicken before serving.

Whip the cream and add 40g cooled syrup if you would like passionfruit flavoured cream.
Pour syrup over the entire cake (skewer all over first so syrup can soak into cake) or put over individual pieces as desired and serve with whipped cream.

Nico says this recipe can be doubled if required and there is no need for extra cooking time but DD has never done this.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:06:21 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 02:40:11 pm »
Sounds lovely JD!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »
Thanks Judy this looks very moreish and I will give it a go.Will have to see if I can get my hands on a tin of passion fruit pulp, if not, could you suggest a substitute fruit? ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:59:12 pm by Cornish Cream »