Author Topic: Lemon Curd Ice-cream from Cornish Cream  (Read 12932 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Lemon Curd Ice-cream from Cornish Cream
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:06:59 am »

Lemon Curd Ice-cream

....but is more a frozen yogurt,

Fold 340g of natural yogurt( not the set type) into 340g of homemade lemon curd  then freeze

After 3-4 hours you have the most luscious citrus ice-cream

Members' comments
JD - Just sitting here eating my cone now.  Not too bad at all, if anything a little too lemon curdy so perhaps a little less of that next time instead of equal quantities with the yoghurt.  I had 3 jars of lemon butter in the fridge so I was pleased to be able to use up 2 of them in one hit on this recipe.
I've just checked on mine to see how hard it set overnight.  It is quite firm but I could spoon some out - happy with that.

Lilli31 - I just found this from nigella too...

Nigella’s Lemon Meringue Ice Cream from How To Eat

I saw this recipe of Jane and Elizabeth’s Pelly’s in the Womens chefs of the Great Britain, though I’ve changed it slightly here. The original version specified home made meringues and home made lemon curd, but I brazened it out with the bought stuff and suggest, for ease, that you do too. If you are using shop meringues and curd you may to add more lemon juice and zest or it will be too sweet. Taste to see, it needs an edge to it:

600ml whipping cream
225g greek yogurt
320g lemon curd
juice and zest of 2 lemons
6 meringue nests

Whip the cream until fairly stiff and fold in the yogurt. Add the lemon curd, lemon juice and zest (you will find it easier to stir in the curd if you add the lemon juice to it first) and the meringues, broken up into small pieces, but not so small so that they dissolve into dust.
Put into a container, it should be a shallow rather than tall one and freeze, And that’s all there is to it. Ripen in the fridge for 40 minutes before you want to eat it. You could dribble over it some clear honey or some more lemon curd diluted to runniness with lemon juice.

Lilli33 -
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Reply with quote Modify message Remove message Split Topic 

Ok, so I kind of did a combo... I was happy that there was enough citrus used in the curd, to not need any more in it. I did do a cream/yoghurt combo though. 600gm cream, whipped with a little icing ugar. Then folded that through 400gm Greek yoghurt. Plus 300gm ( roughly) of my curd. Then I put a few dogs of curd on top and swirled it through. I have always liked he taste of ice-cream and yoghurt mixed, creamy and yet not too sweet.

I have had it in for a few hrs and just tested and mixed it a bit. Tastes good, but I think it will be rich, so won't need much. Would go nice on a meringue though, just like a frozen lemon meringue pie!!!

maddy - I have made that ice cream Lilli.......it's glorious!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:24:51 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lemon Curd Ice-cream from Cornish Cream
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:45 am »
Good work CC - and the best part is that it is so easy to make lemon curd in the TMX !!  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:09 am »
Have just made my first batch of citrus curd ( juice from 3 limes, one lemon and a bit of oj)... Now to make this delicious tart icecream... Will be gorgeous I'm sure!!! I'm wondering if a mix of cream and yoghurt might be good, or if the yoghurt alone might be ok.

Also I wonder if you could freeze this and I the egg white trick with it??? Like the strawberry mousse etc???
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:16 am »
I've just put this into the ice-cream maker.  Will let you know how it tastes later.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:21:08 am »
Cool JD!!!

I just found this from nigella too...

Nigella’s Lemon Meringue Ice Cream from How To Eat

I saw this recipe of Jane and Elizabeth’s Pelly’s in the Womens chefs of the Great Britain, though I’ve changed it slightly here. The original version specified home made meringues and home made lemon curd, but I brazened it out with the bought stuff and suggest, for ease, that you do too. If you are using shop meringues and curd you may to add more lemon juice and zest or it will be too sweet. Taste to see, it needs an edge to it:

600ml whipping cream
225g greek yogurt
320g lemon curd
juice and zest of 2 lemons
6 meringue nests

Whip the cream until fairly stiff and fold in the yogurt. Add the lemon curd, lemon juice and zest (you will find it easier to stir in the curd if you add the lemon juice to it first) and the meringues, broken up into small pieces, but not so small so that they dissolve into dust.
Put into a container, it should be a shallow rather than tall one and freeze, And that’s all there is to it. Ripen in the fridge for 40 minutes before you want to eat it. You could dribble over it some clear honey or some more lemon curd diluted to runninness with lemon juice.

Ooooh, all so tempting.  Love my lemon, but I think I like to think it will have a creaminess too. I might do a version of this. ( minus meringues, n do that next time)  :-)) :-))
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:26:17 am »
Lilli33,  i think you might have to add a little honey,  to compensate for leaving the Meringue out.  Especially with the addition of the 2 lemons.  Let us know how you go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:55:08 am »
Just sitting here eating my cone now.  Not too bad at all, if anything a little too lemon curdy so perhaps a little less of that next time instead of equal quantities with the yoghurt.  I had 3 jars of lemon butter in the fridge so I was pleased to be able to use up 2 of them in one hit on this recipe.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:40:16 am »
Ok, so I kind of did a combo... I was happy that there was enough citrus used in the curd, to not need any more in it. I did do a cream/yoghurt combo though. 600gm cream, whipped with a little icing ugar. Then folded that through 400gm Greek yoghurt. Plus 300gm ( roughly) of my curd. Then I put a few dogs of curd on top and swirled it through. I have always liked he taste of icecream and yoghurt mixed, creamy and yet not too sweet.

I have had it in. Few hrs and just tested and mixed it a bit. Tastes good, but I think it will be rich, so won't need much. Would go nice on a meringue though, just like a frozen lemon meringue pie!!!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:43:28 am »
Judy and Lilli33,  thanks for those comments  I love anything with a lemon tang.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:27 am »
I had forgotten all about this recipe. :o At least you used up some lemon curd Judy :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 10:53:07 am »
Sure did CC, I make these things then struggle to eat them.  A quick one with very little prep work needed.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:35 am »
Yeah chookie, me too. I'm a tang/citrus fiend... And my son has got my taste for it  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »
OMG,   This sounds like heaven, must make sime lemon curd so i can make this.

Judy which lemon curd recipe did you use?

H :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:24:56 pm by Hally »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 11:08:28 pm »
Thanks super hero.

If I make 1/2 the quantty & use this amount with the full amount of yogurt woukd that make it less citrusy  & work well. Or should i make the full batch & just add less.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......