Author Topic: Homemade Butter ripening the cream a bit first  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
Homemade Butter ripening the cream a bit first
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:22 am »
Hi all.  Found this info while spending too much time researching recipes instead of cooking!  Hope it is of some interest. Have included the whole recipe for the info on squeezing.  I'm of the just ok butter makers, and need to improve my technique.

Homemade Butter

We found that ripening the cream a bit first—in essence, culturing it—yields a more fully flavored butter.

Start by pouring a quart of the best-quality organic heavy cream into a large bowl; then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the cream sit at room temperature (ideally, around 68 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit), undisturbed, for six hours so that it begins to sour slightly. In the meantime, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it inside another bowl.

1. Begin slowly whisking the cream using a balloon whisk; as the cream reaches the soft-peak stage, speed up the whisking motion.

2. Butterfat, in the form of tiny granules, will begin to accumulate on the sides of the bowl as it separates from the buttermilk (the liquid portion of cream); continue whisking until the butterfat granules are about half the size of a pea.

3. Pour the entire contents of the bowl into the cheesecloth-lined strainer and let the mixture drain for several minutes.

4. Gather the ends of the cheesecloth together and squeeze, pushing downward to extract as much additional liquid as possible; then unwrap the butter solids from the cheesecloth. (Reserve the butter milk to use in your favorite biscuit recipe, if you like.)

5. Pour cool water over the butter and rinse, carefully squeezing and folding the mass in on itself, until the water runs clear.

6. Put the butter into a bowl and sprinkle it with 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt.

7. Using a wooden spoon, smear the butter mass repeatedly against the side of the bowl to aerate it and thoroughly incorporate the salt; pour off any additional liquid the butter may release.

8. Using the wooden spoon, transfer the salted butter onto the center of a piece of wax paper and form it into a single, smooth-sided brick.

9. Wrap the butter tightly in the wax paper and refrigerate it overnight before you use it, to allow its flavor to develop. It will keep for about three weeks.

From the American cooking magazine, Saveur. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Homemade-Butter

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Homemade Butter ripening the cream a bit first
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:08:57 am »
Miranda,  thanks for psting this.  It is always of interest to read such a well written description..   How are you having problems with your butter making?  Maybe we can help .

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:23:17 am »
I've been reading the other thread on Jule's butter problems and that has identified some of my sloppy ways.  I just need to follow the instructions better!!!!   Thanks for the help.  cheers Miranda

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:56 am »
Thanks. Cultured butter is nice.  Love it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Homemade Butter ripening the cream a bit first
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:12:00 am »
Thanks to CP and her mandarin cake I have had a play with cultured butter.
I have only found this post now as I am posting.  I put about 1/3 cup of natural Greek yoghurt into 750 ml of cream and left it on my bench for 2 days.  Next time I will try heating and keeping at a temp in the thermoserver.  I made the butter this morning, it tastes amazing.  It taste as I remember butter tasting many moons ago.  I haven't made butter since the early days and hope this post will encourage our new members to have a go.
Denise

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:29 am »
well done! I'm going to give it go too  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 02:42:30 am »
Hi Bedlam . . . is this right?  You just add those two ingredients together, leave for a couple of days and then make the butter in the Tmx as usual with that combination?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:45 am »
Just found this on Tenina's

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:03:12 am »
That is all I did GF, but since have read the "proper" way.  I am very happy with the improved flavour. Give it a go.
Denise

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:22 am »
Thanks, Denise!  I will for sure! Thank you!  :-*

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:49:57 am »
Just found this on Tenina's

I've been meaning to make cultured butter for ages. I'm famous I got a mention on Tenina's page lol.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:06:36 pm »
Definitely famous Jeninwa. A mention on the blog and also in the book.  ;D ;D

I can't wait to give this a try.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »
You are famous in your own right Jen  :-*

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33:09 pm »
If anyone cultures milk kefir, the grains will also culture cream which makes a very flavourful butter. Depending on how long you leave it, the cream continues to get sourer and thicker. The butter seems to occur faster when I've let the cream sour a bit longer, but that could be my imagination. The only thing I don't like about using the grains is fishing them out of the thick cream before 'churning'. Must try leaving them in one day to see what happens  :)

Thank you for the link to Tenina's directions for using yogurt. I'll definitely have to try that to see how it differs from using kefir grains. I've only made butter using a food processor as I'm still waiting to take delivery of my Thermomix.
TM5, delivered 05/11/2014 😍