Author Topic: Paneer and Paneer Tikka Masala Indian Book  (Read 7084 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Paneer and Paneer Tikka Masala Indian Book
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:49:40 am »
Paneer and Paneer Tikka Masala
I made both of these according to the book, although I only did 1 litre of milk for the paneer as I wasn't sure how it would go. They were very easy and I found the Tikka Masala very nice with the Paneer. DD loved it but DH hated it. But then I have discovered that he doesn't like other cuisines very much despite his parents being European.

Tweaking
None
Score
5/5 for both
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Paneer and Paneer Tikka Masala Indian Book
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:14:26 am »
Thanks cookie1 - the book continues to impress.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:08:47 am »
Must give this a go! Love paneer and haloumi.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
Great to hear it worked with no tweaking.  I've heard excellent reports about the Tikka paste but hadn't heard of anyone doing the paneer. 

The chicken in yoghurt was rather divine.  We also do the paratha's a lot.  I roast the cummin first and then put in whole wheat grain and grind it before proceeding with the recipe.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
I made paneer tonight and was thrilled with the result.  I recommend Helene's excellent slide show http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2011/11946/paneer-cheese-recipe-thermomix.html and the instructions in the Indian cookbook are very clear too.  I also used Helene's recipe to make Palak Paneer or Indian cheese with creamed spinach.  Very pleased with the result.

If you are vegetarian, or if you really like Indian food, I really suggest you try making paneer.  It is wayyy easier than making yogurt and although you get a lot of whey (the book suggest you save this to make chappattis or parathas, or to serve chilled as a refreshing drink--not too sure about that one, personally), Safeway, half an hour drive from here, sells paneer for $5. something for 180 g.  I didn't weigh how much paneer 2 litres of milk actually yielded, but it was more than the 180g, and I preferred the texture as the supermarket paneer is quite hard.  Very pleased! :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:12:09 pm by Lellyj »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
OK Lellyj I want to thank you so much for posting yesterday.  Helene's website is fantastic.  I copied your meal tonight and make lemon paneer for the first time.  I only made with 1 litre of milk and it was so delicious I wanted to eat it all up.  I was thinking paneer is quite expensive at the supermarket that's why I never buy it. 

Sometimes the good organic milk is on special at our local IGA nearing it's use-by date.  Does anyone know if paneer/ricotta/yogurt can be made on milk past the date if not smelling sour?  I should do some research, I'm sure that's been asked before, but I've now got a pile of dishes to wash.

And all this whey, I'm going to use in a lemon cake for the kids. 

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:03:56 am »
Oh Viv!  I'm so pleased, I was pretty excited about paneer too  ;D.  I will admit that the milk I used was past the use-by date, but not off.  I have heard from my farming cousin that dairy products are often fine past the date, so if it doesn't go chunky in our tea, I don't worry, particularly if the milk was un-opened and at the back of the fridge.  The thing is, I don't know how long it will last if it's already near or just past the use-by date, so I thought paneer that I would be using that night would be better to make than yogurt that would be sitting around in the fridge for a few more days.  That's just my thoughts anyway.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria