Author Topic: Caramel, date and banana loaf  (Read 18545 times)

Offline charabelle

• View Profile
Caramel, date and banana loaf
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:33 am »
Caramel, date and banana loaf

300g SR flour
1tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp mixed spice
125g dates
115g brown sugar
250g milk
2 eggs
1 cup banana

Chop dates for approx 10 seconds on speed 7
Add dry ingedients :-: speed 1 for 5 seconds
Add slightly beaten eggs, milk and bananas :-: speed 3 for 10 seconds
Pour into greased and lined loaf tin.
Bake for 45-50 mins at 180 degrees celcius.
Cool in tin
Try to stop it all being eaten at morning tea time!
PS I like to buy the bananas on special when they are going brown and place straight into freezer. Takes about an hour defrost.

members' comments

JD - This has to be the easiest cake in the world to make.  Thanks for posting it charabelle, I love it.

cookie - I made this over the weekend and we love it. BUT I had something happen that has never happened to me before in 50+ years of baking. I actually think it is very funny, so I thought I would let you enjoy a laugh with me. The cake is cooked beautifully and the photo is self explanatory. The cake sort of erupted out the top a bit on one side. I think there must have been an air pocket and I didn't tap the tin as I often do. I find it really funny. It's starting to cave in a bit now as it doesn't have the two ends to support it.

JD - OMG, now that I think back Cookie, mine did exactly the same thing although I wasn't left with a hole in the middle and you couldn't even see where it erupted from.  Mine oozed out from the side of my tin measuring 21 x 11cm and I did think I would use the bigger one next time.  I had forgotten all about it - well, it was a whole week ago.

em - mmmm made this today with some half dead looking nanas, very nice with some butter on and warmed up a little!

ceejay - Just a tip... using fresh Medjool dates makes it quite difficult to mix... think I need to try dried ones next time. Thanks for the recipe! It was delicious and devoured by the kids!

Banana - Just made this - fabulous- thank you Charabelle!

AMH -  this has a good blend of flavours and moister than the banana, date and walnut bread in the EDC. Thanks for posting!

Frozzie -  this was lovely..only thing was I used rapadura instead of brown sugar and I preferred them in mini cakes than the large loaf but I made both...the only warning I would put on this is that when you mixed the dates then add the rest of the ingredients make sure that the dates are mixed in to the rest of the mixture and not stuck in the bottom of the bowl..luckily I noticed that a lot of it had stayed at the bottom of the bowl and mixed it in with the spatula..also I chopped up the banana in half slices about half a cm and they stayed in little bits through the cake which made it very nice...in any case thank you it is a lovely recipe.

Kerry o - I'm just trying this out now, mine is in the oven and oozing over the edges of the tin. Wish I read the comments below all the way to the bottom  - Doh! I also left out the dates...hope they weren't a must?
Success!  I brought it into work today for morning tea and it went down a treat, even had a few people ask for the recipe, I'm going to give this ago again tonight but with the dates, be interesting to see how much of a difference they make.  Today at work I forgot you were supposed to add dates so thought it wasn't very sweet although with a spread of butter it tasted lovely.

snappy - I made it as patty cake sized muffins - perfect for the school lunch box!  I also added Choc chips.  Kids and husband all love them.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:39:37 pm by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Caramel, date and banana loaf
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:33 am »
I have some sad nanas in the fruit bowl right now who would love to end theirs lives as a yummy loaf! Tar!  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:59:09 am »
This looks very 'eatable' charabelle. Thanks for the recipe. Bananas and dates go together so well.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »
This has to be the easiest cake in the world to make.  Thanks for posting it charabelle, I love it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:16:56 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »
Judy, my mouth is watering. Your photo  really shows the cake up well.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:03:01 pm »
It looks a bit dry Cookie but it is nice and moist and is darker than it looks in the photo too.

Offline charabelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:23 am »
Not a problem judy! I made mine with dark brown sugar (only because that is all the local shops had) and it is a lot darker than yours still.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 03:27:30 am »
It's only the taste that matters.  I can't wait for the cookie barrel to become empty so that I can make this. Dh is working for a couple of weeks so no car club to send goodies to.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:07:36 am »

Try to stop it all being eaten at morning tea time!

Great recipe and, yes - that is often a problem  ;) ;) :o :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 06:24:52 am »
I made this over the weekend and we love it. BUT I had something happen that has never happened to me before in 50+ years of baking. I actually think it is very funny, so I thought I would let you enjoy a laugh with me. The cake is cooked beautifully and the photo is self explanatory. ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 06:46:53 am »
What is that cookie - a huge air pocket ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:38 am »
I think it must be. The cake sort of erupted out the top a bit on one side. I think there must have been an air pocket and I didn't tap the tin as I often do. I find it really funny. It's starting to cave in a bit now as it doesn't have the two ends to support it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:12 am »
OMG, now that I think back Cookie, mine did exactly the same thing although I wasn't left with a hole in the middle and you couldn't even see where it erupted from.  Mine oozed out from the side of my tin measuring 21 x 11cm and I did think I would use the bigger one next time.  I had forgotten all about it - well, it was a whole week ago  :-)) :-)) :-)) :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:51 am »
Good one cookie1 - great that we share our disasters as well.  That used to happen with some of my sponges before an old pro said it was ok to hit the bottom of the tin to knock out big bubbles.  Great fun (NOT) to see the cake explode and collapse in the oven.

I saw a professionals' overproofed bread do just that - raise and then fall dramatically.  He whisked it away out of sight.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline HeyMcJude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 08:55:07 am »
Just popped one in the oven.  Always have so many bananas!  I made sure I gave my baking tin a sharp rap on the bench to make sure I didn't get any air pockets!
Thanks for the recipe.
Jude