Author Topic: Review Lamb Biriyani MOTM page 95  (Read 7494 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Review Lamb Biriyani MOTM page 95
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:22 am »
Made the Lamb Biriyani last night. Did not have enough room in the TM to add the 3 potatoes and ending up leaving out probably 1. The potatoes were added in the last 30 mins of cooking (takes 1hr), and they still  ended up raw. I think that the speed was too slow for the amount of ingredients inside the TM bowl, and they weren't getting rotated around enough to cook through. The kids thought it was very watery, and a bit like soup. Flavourwise not bad, but I am not a biggest fan of Indian food anyway. We had some leftovers, so will probably be better re-heated today.

From this experience, 3/5
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:36:58 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Biriyani MOTM
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:04:32 am »
Oh dear - that meat cookbook was going great with all the review so far. If you put the potatoes in sooner, turned up the speed a little and reduced the liquid CP63, would you do it again.  Often these things are much better the next day anyway and may thicken up a little more then too.

I was going to see if I could get another copy of this book at tonight's Polish cooking class here for DD - looks like I may have to put some post its in the book with all the reviews so far before I hand it over  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:37:29 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Lamb Biriyani MOTM
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:25 am »
Don't know that I would reduce the liquid, but would probably like it thickened slightly as it was a watery consistency.
Not being a big lover of Indian food, I would probably choose another recipe over this one before trying to perfect it - but never say never  :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:37:54 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline ruth

• View Profile
Lamb Biryani - Meat on the Menu
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »
Recipe: Lamb Biryani
Book: Meat on the Menu:
Tweaking:

I thought that 1kg of meat was a lot so I only used 450g and increased potatoes to 5, but kept everything else the same.  I am glad that I did as it worked out well and I just read this on another thread (I searched for lamb biryani before I cooked it but nothing came up :-( maybe the search only looks in headings?)

Made the Lamb Biriyani last night. Did not have enough room in the TM to add the 3 potatoes and ending up leaving out probably 1. The potatoes were added in the last 30 mins of cooking (takes 1hr), and they still  ended up raw. I think that the speed was too slow for the amount of ingredients inside the TM bowl, and they weren't getting rotated around enough to cook through. The kids thought it was very watery, and a bit like soup. Flavourwise not bad, but I am not a biggest fan of Indian food anyway. We had some leftovers, so will probably be better re-heated today.

From this experience, 3/5

I probably should have reduced the rice a little as well but its ok, there is rice and sauce left for lunch tomorrow.

Review:  It was easier than it looked.  DH and I really liked the flavour, and the three year old ate it with as much enthusiasm as she normally has (ie none).  I suppose it was a bit watery but the rice is a bit dry by the time it sits for an hour and soaks it all up, so I didn't find that a problem.  You have to make sure you leave the MC off for the whole hour, and tip it over the rice as soon as its cooked.  The potatoes were cooked, but only just, so I can see that if you used a full kg of meat that they wouldn't cook (or fit!).  I would make it again, I think maybe 500-600g of meat and 4-5 small potatoes would work well.

The recipe was a bit annoying in that it didn't have a weight for the butter (5 tablespoons) - I used about 70g.  And 4 tablespoons of lemon juice was 1 large lemon.

Score: 4/5

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Re: Lamb Biryani - Meat on the Menu
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:38:48 am »
Thanks for the review Ruth. I don't have the Indian Cookbook yet, but it is on my list to get so grateful for the info about this recipe.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lamb Biryani - Meat on the Menu
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:25:46 am »

and the three year old ate it with as much enthusiasm as she normally has (ie none). 

LOL - love that  :-* :-* :-* :-*  Might have to contact UK TMX about the quantities?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re: Re: Review Lamb Biriyani MOTM page 95
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:55 pm »
We enjoyed chicken biryani from MOM tonight. Admittedly we didn't have any potatoes. Husband went back for seconds. Kids enjoyed the sultanas in their rice lol.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review Lamb Biriyani MOTM page 95
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »
Looks good INAID 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.