Author Topic: Chocolate Melting Centre Cakes  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Bimby Queen

• View Profile
Chocolate Melting Centre Cakes
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »
Name of Recipe: Chocolate Melting Centre Cakes
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:

200g Granulated Sugar
95g Plain Chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum)
90g Butter in pieces
50g Flour
2 Eggs
1 Egg Yolk

Preparation:

Place sugar into the bowl and grind for 15 seconds on speed 10 to make icing sugar. Remove and set aside.
Set dial to closed lid position and place chocolate and butter in the bowl. Press the Turbo button several times to chop the chocolate and butter. Melt for 2½ minutes at 50°C on speed 1.
Add the flour, icing sugar, eggs and egg yolk and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4 until evenly blended. Pour into well buttered ramekins or shaped individual cake tins.
Place in a pre-heated oven at 230°C (200°C fan forced) for 12 minutes. When they are baked perfectly, the sides will be set but the centre will still be soft and runny.

Tips/Hints:

:o Garnish with a mint leaf on top of the cakes and serve with Vanilla Ice Cream or Chantilly.

members' comments

Thermomixer - This recipe really does work well but I found it best to layer the base with silicon or similar paper to ensure they don't stick, they are difficult to unmould.

Some hints - firstly the ramekins need to be WELL greased.  A trick here is to grease them with melted unsalted butter and then leave in the freezer for 10 minutes and reline with more melted butter. Then back in the fridge or freezer until ready to fill.  You can place a piece of well greaed silicon paper in the base also after greasing.

Once cooked, leave the cakes in the ramekins for about 5 or 10 minutes before trying to unmould.  Run a knife around the edges and make sure that the cake is completely free of the mould.  Using a towel to hold the ramekins/mould, place your hand over the top and gently invert to allow the cake to come out and handle very gently. Remove paper if used and place on your plate.

Amanda - they were wonderful, devoured them with luscious thick cream.  Mmmm. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

brazen - first observation is OMG they were sweet!!! is this because we used milk chocolate? I'm assuming dark chocolate is better even if you don't usually like it?

MrSpock - it was a success. We circumvented the sticking problem simply by serving the cake in the ramekins. We served each in a bigger plate with a smaller ramekin of vanilla ice cream & topped with a sliver of dark chocolate. YUM!

Hally - Woah  yummy but but very very rich. We only managed 1/2 a portion each. Good for cod nights.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:40:48 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chocolate Melting Centre Cakes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:25 am »
Methinks somebody is a little greedy - in the Number of People: it says 4 serves,  but there are 6 little ramekins!!   ;D

This recipe really does work well, but i found it best to layer the base with silicon or similar paper to ensure they don't stick.  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline NY Mixer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:39:51 pm »
LOLOLOLOL... I could eat 6, with creamy vanilla ice cream

;D ;D ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:12:45 am »
We made these on the weekend and they were wonderful.
I guess we must be greedy too, as we only made 4 and devoured them with luscious thick cream.  Mmmm. ;D
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:03:47 am »
made them tonight - first observation is OMG they were sweet!!! is this because we used milk chocolate? i'm assuming dark chocolate is better even if you don't usually like it?

and the second this is are they easier to get out of a tin tray than a silicone one? i just had to spoon them out so they looked nothing like cakes in teh bowl :( (so no pics)

other than that loved the idea! very cool to find all that stuff in teh middle!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 12:45:12 am »
They are similar to a recipe that Philippe Mouchel used at Paul Bocuse restaurant or Langtons and they are difficult to unmould.

Some hints - firstly the ramekins need to be WELL greased.  A trick here is to grease them with melted unsalted butter and then leave in the freezer for 10 minutes and reline with more melted butter. Then back in the fridge or freezer until ready to fill.  You can place a piece of well greaed silicon paper in the base also after greasing.

Once cooked, leave the cakes in the ramekins for about 5 or 10 minutes before trying to unmould.  Run a knife around the edges and make sure that the cake is completely free of the mould.  Using a towel to hold the ramekins/mould, place your hand over the top and gently invert to allow the cake to come out and handle very gently. Remove paper if used and place on your plate.

The cake should have a firm outer layer with soft runny centre - will see if I have a picture.

Lots of lubrication is essential.

Probably should also acknowledge Thermomix Australia   too
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:03:20 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 05:18:41 am »
ahh yes, thank you thermomix!

thanks for those tips, will try them next time ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline lauzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:37:48 pm »
Sounds yum!   Has anyone doubled the recipe and if so does it work just as well?

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 04:09:57 am »
My husband made this tonight for company, and it was a success. We circumvented the sticking problem simply by serving the cake in the ramekins  :P We served each in a bigger plate with a smaller ramekin of vanilla ice cream, topped with a sliver of dark chocolate. YUM!
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 03:53:28 pm »
I've lost a recipe that I had years ago for cakes/muffins that contained a chocolate "Rollo" in the middle that melted when cooked, and oozed out  as you bit into it -- don't know if you can still get these chocolates even. Must make this recipe and see if it is similar.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:29 am »
You can make chocolate melted with butter into balls and stick them into the little puddings intead of Rollos - but this works well with good preparartion
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:50 am »
Just found these, I am going to give them a go. I will leave them in the ramekins to avoid the sticking problem. Only need to buy the chocolate and some ice cream.

Yum
Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:15:36 am »
Woah  yummy but but very very rich.

We only managed 1/2 a portion each.

Good for cod nights.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......