Author Topic: mayonnaise  (Read 63774 times)

vivacity

Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »
I had the same problem recently when I tried to make mayonnaise in my TM 3300. The German recipe said I should add the lemon juice or vinegar straight away and that ended in disaster. I then made the basil mayonnaise on the  kitchen playground website and added the lemon juice (or vinegar - cannot remember) only AFTER the egg yolks had thickened the oil. Perfect!

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 12:52:23 am »
Guys its usually less about the eggs and more about the acidity of the lemon, so don't use lemon other than as flavoring...use vinegar first, then thin using lemon juice as required. Lemons have different acidity at different times of the year and with different varieties...if you have a failed batch of mayo, keep it, start again and instead of oil, add the failed batch of mayo as you would the oil. You should have fixed your 'split'.  :-))

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:18:40 am »
Guys its usually less about the eggs and more about the acidity of the lemon, so don't use lemon other than as flavoring...use vinegar first, then thin using lemon juice as required. Lemons have different acidity at different times of the year and with different varieties...if you have a failed batch of mayo, keep it, start again and instead of oil, add the failed batch of mayo as you would the oil. You should have fixed your 'split'.  :-))
Excellent it worked!!! Was getting a bit grouchy about wasting so much oil but great advice - "start again and instead of oil, add the failed batch of mayo as you would the oil." First time at making mayo!! Taste DELISH! ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Just to add to the number of variants that effect the outcome, during the heatwave we had over this summer gone, the Mayo wasn't thickening up for a lot of people. I'd placed a call to JB and she'd had 2 days of people calling her about their mayo not thickening.  Her suggestion was to add egg yolks until it thickened.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:35:20 am »
woohoo with my 2nd ever try this worked!!!

i think i need to write up a new copy of the recipe wtih all the tips and changes though - my copy of the EDC didn't even tell me when to add the vinegar  :-)) >:(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:43:59 am »
I've never tried mayo in the TMX, too scared to. I've made the tartare sauce and that was successful. I want to make some mayonnaise this week. How long does it last?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:27 am »
My never fail mayo is to have everything at room temperature, use vinegar instead of lemon juice as Tenina so kindly let us know (love that woman  :-*) then "cook" the egg and mustard on 37o for 2 min to ensure everything is the same temp. Then add timer for 5 min at 37o and add oil. have NEVER had a fail this way. DH even added the oil in less than 2 min the other day. I was horrified but it worked. I think the key is the temp at 37o Even with everything sitting at room temp, the stainless steel bowl is colder than an egg or vinegar in a plastic bottle same as oil in a glass bottle. Well that is my take on it anyway lol. All I know is that it works and we go through heaps of mayo as the teens like mustard mayo on their veg  :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:05 am »
i used the whole batch to make chicken nuggets ;) put the chicken in the mayo then rolled in crumbs (then i'm freezing)

a friend rcommended mayo and it worked well but the commercial stuff was too sweet. i'll definitely do this again!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
Oh yummmmmmmmm Karen

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:46 am »
damn gluten free nuggets! i HATE crumbing with a passion!!! but they haven't been available for the past 10 months. now there's a new company selling them but they're around $75 per kilo!!!  :o :o :-\
My Cooking Blog

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 04:39:04 pm »
OMG Karen, that really is a treat at the price  :o :o :o

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:02 am »
Thanks Kathryn will give it a go. I'm actually nervous at trying this.

OMG $75 a kilo. You should set up in opposition.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:18 am »
funny you say that cookie, you are the 3rd person to say that to me in the past week. i thought about it, would love to do it (cakes, not crumbed chicken lol) but have figured out 2 major problems - first being insurance, it must be HUGE for such a speciality type of products (where getting it wrong can really have a negative impact on people's health) and and the second being that i would need a dedicated gluten free premise to cook on (last week rora ate a crumb or two off a table and vomited an hour or so after...)
My Cooking Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 08:42:14 am »
Poor kid.

Do you use the EDC for your mayonnaise recipe and do you use the whole egg or just the yolk? I have to make this tomorrow so won't be able to procrastinate anymore. I need it for Thursday lunch.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:30 am »
i added in the egg white in at the end once the mayo was made, only so as not to waste it lol

does anyone know what the biggest quantity you can make at one time is?

oh FWIW i used rice bran oil to make mine as i had no grapeseed oil. everything was room temp except the mustard and i heated the bowl to 37'c before putting anything into it as i wanted to make sure it was dry ;)
My Cooking Blog