Author Topic: Chicken and Vegie Hotpot  (Read 22261 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
Chicken and Vegie Hotpot
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:38:20 am »
Name of Recipe: Chicken and Vegetable Hotpot
Number of People: Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 Onions peeled and quartered
20g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
500g Chicken Breast diced or chicken thigh fillets
Approx 300g Mixed Veg of Your Choice diced up( i used brocoli, celery, peas and beans, if i had carrots i would have used them to)
2 Potatos diced
1 tbl Veg Stock Concentrate or 1 chick stock cube
200mL water
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp dried sage
salt and pepper
white wine to taste (approx 50-100ml)
1 tbl cornflour
3 tbl water , extra

Preparation:
Dice onions 5 sec spd 7.  Add 20g oil. Saute 100 degrees 5 min spd 1.
Add vegies and potato, stock, water, mustard powder, sage and season. Cook for 15 min 100 deg rev :-: speed soft ^^.
Add diced chicken and wine.  Cook for 10 min 100 deg rev  :-: speed soft  ^^.
If desired you can thicken by mixing cornflour and extra water and adding to dish and mixing in, but we liked it at the consistency it was

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
Not sure you can really call this a hotpot when made in the Thermomix???  
Adapted from Australian Healthy Cooking Guide by Caron Milham

members' comments

rainbow - it was very tasty, DH finished it off but I did feel that it was more like a soup than a Hot Pot, maybe I cut the vegies to small? We did enjoy it though.

JD - this was a nice, easy one to cook for tea. Only used 1 onion, added a clove of garlic, used 630g defatted thighs which I left in big pieces.  Thickened it with a mixture of gravox and cornflour. Might add a bit of sambal oelek next time but we really enjoyed it - thanks Em.

KerrynN - As JD did, we used chicken thighs, only 1 onion and added a clove of garlic.
I used fresh sage leaves and put in about 4 or 5 - I haven't used sage before and I think that this may have been a bit too much as I think it overpowered the other flavours. It was still good though and was a fantastic recipe for a quick, simple and healthy dinner. One I will definitely make again for a school night dinner. DH also thought we could add bacon next time.

Made this again tonight with the dried sage and the bacon added. Used different vegies (pepper, eggplant, broccoli, carrot, zucchini, mushroom) but the kids ate them all - much to my surprise! Loved this - a quick, simple and healthy dinner - even with the bacon.

Hally - Thanks, have had a taste, I would put bacon and maybe garlic next time. I used chicken breast, still moist and tasty. I am a chicken breast fan. I know ds will really like this.

Wonder -  Used peas, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini and carrots. The vegetables went very mushy even though I only added the broccoli and zucchini with the chicken so the sauce is a nice shade of green! I had a taste of the gravy and it tasted pretty good, it should be lovely for dinner tomorrow after it's been left overnight.

Amy -  this was a quick, easy and tasty meal. I had this on the table in less than 30 minutes. Thanks for the recipe em.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:30:28 am by judydawn »
Emma from Victoria

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Chicken and Vegie Hotpot
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:50:24 am »
ohhh that sounds good!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:44 am »
Good work em - sounds nice and hearty for the colder months.  One to pass on to your customers.  Great stuff.  Good to see you converting and publishing.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:57 am »
thanks thermomixer, i convert my own recipes alot, but i also have a shocking memory so forget pretty much straight away wat i did unless i write it down as i go!  it is lovely and warming for winter, one that we will put on the weekly menu i think.
Emma from Victoria

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:28:44 am »
Sounds nice, thanks Em.  :)

Offline simplyrhonda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:53:54 am »
Em, do you recall roughly how much wine you put in?

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:58:35 am »
hmm i tend to just throw it in rather than measure it, probably would have been around 100ml or so... sorry i cant be more exact
Emma from Victoria

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 04:39:53 am »
Tried this last night and it was very tasty, DH finished it off but I did feel that it was more like a soup than a Hot Pot, maybe I cut the vegies to small? We did enjoy it though. :)

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 05:16:28 am »
glad you liked it rainbow, we love this one, actually i might make it today!
i guess it depends on size of the veg and you could probably thicken it more if you wanted to, i personally like it with chunky diced veg.   :)
Emma from Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:38 pm »
I was out most of the day today so this was a nice, easy one to cook for tea.  Luckily I spent an hour last night defatting a kg of chicken thighs or it would not have happened. Only used 1 onion, added a clove of garlic, used 630g defatted thighs which I left in big pieces.  Thickened it with a mixture of gravox and cornflour. Might add a bit of sambal oelek next time but we really enjoyed it - thanks Em.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:09 am »
As JD did, we used chicken thighs, only 1 onion and added a clove of garlic.

The recipe wasn't clear on whether it required fresh or dry sage or the exact amount either. I used fresh sage leaves and put in about 4 or 5 - I haven't used sage before and I think that this may have been a bit too much as I think it overpowered the other flavours.

It was still good though and was a fantastic recipe for a quick, simple and healthy dinner. One I will definitely make again for a school night dinner. DH also thought we could add bacon next time.

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »
glad you enjoyed it kerrynN and judy.  oops just looked back and saw the error i made when posting this recipe, meant to be half a teaspoon of dried sage, will fix that now.  i guess the good thing about these kind of recipes is that they are versatile and can be personalised to suit your own tastes.  like the bacon idea kerrynN and might try it myself next time.
Emma from Victoria

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
perhaps the bacon would be a really good addition but not one that Australian Healthy Cooking Guide would endorse  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:29:46 am »
Made this again tonight with the dried sage and the bacon added. Used different vegies (pepper, eggplant, brocolli, carrot, zuchinni, mushroom) but the kids ate them all - much to my surprise!

Loved this a quick, simple and healthy dinner - even with the bacon.
Kerryn

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:18:54 am »
Made this today as its been n my to do list.
I made it for ds to have when we have curry or something else he wont eat, like tonight, we are having the Colombo Lamb, so This is good fior him.

Thanks, have had a taste, i would put bacon and maybe garlic next time. I used chicken breast, still moist and tasty. I am a chicken breast fan. I kno ds will really like this.

Thanks Em

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......