Author Topic: Maddy's Lemon/Basil Chicken based on baf65's award winning recipe  (Read 14980 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Hi Maddy, thought that this deserved to be on a separate thread as well so that people can see alternatives

I joined the baf65's club tonight  ;)

I tried baf's dish with a lemon pepper sauce.  First I made part 1. of the sauce, which was a tweaked version of the basil/lemon dressing in the festive book.

lemon/basil sauce (part 1.)

zest and juice of 1 lemon
50g parmesan cubed
2 cloves garlic
100 cashew nuts
handful basil leaves
1 tsp sugar
sea salt to taste
20g olive oil

Add the lemon peel, garlic, parmesan and cashews  into  *:  Mill for 8 seconds - speed 9.
Add juice, basil, sugar and salt and mix for 6 seconds - speed 9
Add the oil on rotating blades, speed 3
Set this aside.

I then placed 500g large chopped potatoes into basket, with the 500g warm water mixed with 1 tsp. TM stock.
Cooked 10 minutes, varoma temp - speed 4.
I then placed broccoli, red capsicum strips and thin sliced carrots into top tray of varoma.
Cooked 10 minutes, varoma temp, speed 4.

Meanwhile I chopped 550g chicken breasts into medium chunks, and sprinkled with lemon pepper seasoning, and placed in the bottom of varoma.

Once the vegetables had finished cooking for their first 10 minutes, I added the chicken.
Cooked a futher 12 minutes, varoma temp - speed 4.
Placed all in thermoserve.

I left all the stock in the jug, and added the 100g of cream cheese, and also added the lemon/basil/cashew mix (no need to add the flour).
Followed Bafs instructions of cooking that for 2 minutes - 100c - speed 4. then drizzled over the plated veg and chicken.
The sauce was delicious lemony-pepper flavour, and a lovely consistency.  

Kids were looking for some more  :o so will make sure to add more chicken and veg next time.

members' comments

DJ - it is a cracker. I did not have basil so I substituted 2 tbs of dried coriander. Worked well. I also used rice instead of potatoes. The rice took the flavour of the stock and cheese mix so it worked well. The only problem was that the stock dried out with this so I suggest that you use 750 ml instead of 500 ml of water and see how it goes. You may need to add more, I will have to experiment.

johnro - Maddy this was voted as the very very very BEST tasting recipe to have come out of thermie - made it yesterday at our thermothon - actually should have called yesterday a varomathon (2 friends had not used their varomas and did not want a varoma demo, so came to mine for a varoma day).  Followed lemon/basil sauce recipe as per initial instructions using the 2 small tbs basil paste but on stove top sauteed onion and garlic until onion caramelised and added to 450ml chicken + 100ml white wine in which potatoes cooked, tossed wholegrain honey mustard and dukkah through chicken prior to cooking - it was so o o o o o o  delicious - THANK YOU for the tweak to Baf's recipe.

Denzelmum - I made vegetarian one today with Sanitarium Tender Fillet and using my yoghurt cheese instead of cream cheese. Yum yum...

jakodai - it was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be making this again!!

SuzieG - This is AMAZING! DD who is 9 kept exclaiming "this sauce is soooo good!" then proceeded to eat the leftovers I was going to take for lunch tomorrow - darn it!

VieveMS - I made this with sweet potato mash, red capsicum and green beans.  I had the brilliant idea (read: really stupid idea) to add the chicken back into the sauce for the last minute so it would be nicely coated.  I did use reverse but because it was already steamed it just disintegrated. Despite my mistake it was still a really nice dinner with lovely flavours.  I'd probably add the green beans at the same time as the chicken next time as they were a little overdone for me.  The steamed red capsicum was delicious. Thanks for the recipe Maddy (and Baf).

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:37:09 pm by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Maddy's Lemon/Basil Chicken based on baf65's award winning recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:22:50 am »

Maddy - that looks divine!  I sooooo wish I could cook with lemon.

Cathy
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:35 am »

Isn't cooking so much more fun once the weather cools down  :D :D  Looks wonderful Maddy.  This recipe is sure getting some mileage. Baf65 you must be so proud of yourself for coming up with this idea and seeing all the variations the members are doing.

judydawn
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:32:17 am »
Thanks for the new version Maddy and the old one Baf.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »
Made tonight, but used pasta instead of cooking potatoes.

Made the lemon basil sauce as above, and put aside.

Weighed in 1 litre boiled water in jug, with 1 Tbsp. tm stock.
Added 250g pasta spirals to the internal basket.
Placed the large section of varoma on, with the chicken sprinkled in lemon pepper (I used 800g chicken thighs - bite size)
Made a hole in the middle for steam, and spread chicken up and around sides of varoma bowl.
Cooked both pasta and chicken for 13 minutes, varoma temp, speed 4
Added the top varoma tray, filled with 500g frozen stir fry vegetables.
Gave the chicken a stir around, and continue cooking 10 minutes, varoma temp., speed 4.

Once all cooked, remove and place in thermoserve.
Add the cream cheese to the stock, then the lemon/cashew/basil mix.
Cook 2 minutes, 100c, speed 4.

You will have to transfer food to a larger bowl, to mix in the sauce.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
Thanks Maddy for the adaptation of Baf's very popular and delicious recipe - a regular in this house  :)  :)  :) your pics go into the award winning category as well!!!!!  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:07 am »
Tries this the other night, and it is a cracker. I did not have basil, so I substituted 2 tbs of dried coriander. Worked well.

I also used rice instead of potatoes. The rice took the flavour of the stock and cheese mix, so it worked well. The only problem was that the stock dried out with this, so i suggest that you use 750 instead of 500Ml of water and see how it goes. You may need to add more, I will have to experiment.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:58:48 am »
Maddy this was voted as the very very very BEST tasting recipe to have come out of thermie - made it yesterday at our thermothon - actually should have called yesterday a varomathon (2 friends had not used their varomas and did not want a varoma demo, so came to mine for a varoma day).  Followed lemon/basil sauce recipe as per initial instructions using the 2 small tabsp basil paste (our basil has new shoots all over but not ready to pick) - but on stove top sauteed onion and garlic until onion caramelised and added to 450ml chicken + 100ml white wine in which potatoes cooked, tossed wholegrain honey mustard and dukkah through chicken prior to cooking - it was so o o o o o o  delicious - THANK YOU for the tweak to Baf's recipe  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:02:18 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:46 am »
Great accolade for Maddy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 11:26:51 am »
Fantastic Robyn!  :)
It's such a versatile dish, isn't it.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »
I made vegetarian one today with Sanitarium Tender Fillet and using my yoghurt cheese instead of cream cheese. Yum yum...
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

jakodai

Re: Re: Maddy's Lemon/Basil Chicken based on baf65's award winning recipe
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:37:18 am »
I had this for dinner last night, and it was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be making this again!!

Offline SuzieG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:38:30 am »
This is AMAZING!

DD who is 9 kept exclaiming "this sauce is soooo good!" then proceeded to eat the leftovers I was going to take for lunch tomorrow - darn it!

Great flavors will put on my regulars list.

Off to google original recipe now...

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:40:38 am »
I made Maddy's Lemon/Basil Chicken tonight with sweet potato mash, red capsicum and green beans.  I had the brilliant idea (read: really stupid idea) to add the chicken back into the sauce for the last minute so it would be nicely coated.  I did use reverse but because it was already steamed it just disintegrated.

Despite my mistake it was still a really nice dinner with lovely flavours.  I'd probably add the green beans at the same time as the chicken next time as they were a little overdone for me.  The steamed red capsicum was delicious.

Thanks for the recipe Maddy (and Baf).