Author Topic: Veal pizzaiola review EDC  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
Veal pizzaiola review EDC
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:18:21 pm »
Recipe Name: Veal pizzaiola
Book Name: EDC p.108
Tweaking details: Instructions and quantities clarified
Score: 2/5

I was pretty disappointed with this recipe. The instructions were somewhat vague and the result, if healthy, was bland and uninteresting. The recipe needed to specify that the varoma with meat and vegetables needed to be placed on top of the bowl 15 minutes before the end of cooking.

Separate amounts of oil for the marenade and for sauteeing the garlic needed to be specified. I used around 30g for each. Also the amount of oregano needed to be specified. I used about half a teaspoon of dried oregano. Fresh would have been better.

This is definitely one to send to the team tweaking the EDC at present!

Any news on the Asian cookbook anybody? I can't wait for it to come out.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Veal pizzaiola review EDC
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:25 am »
You are right Moonmobile - I've only ever done this one once using chicken as was done at the demo I went to.  It was early days for me when I did it though and now I know what I am doing I would be OK with it after some tweaking BUT we shouldn't have to tweak the actual cooking instructions only make adjustments to the taste to suit our preferences. Just reading it through again, yes it certainly is bland and needs more added to the sauce to give it a boost.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:41 am »
I think it may be a good thing that I haven't tried this one. Thanks for the review.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:29 am »
Thanks.  Have never been enthused enough to try the recipe.  May have to now to help Tenina  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:40 am »
This was slightly better the second night when I was eating the leftovers - I covered the veal and vegetables with a huge amount of sauce.

I cooked this in my desperate quest to find more main meals to cook in the varoma. I am very keen on steamed food!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:52 am »
Thanks MM - so maybe 1 / 5 ??  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »
Hi Thermomixer, I'm reserving 1/5 for practically inedible as opposed to bland and boring which gets a 2/5!

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:10:00 am »
I know this is an old thread but I was just wondering if there had been any changes made to this recipe in later editions of the EDC? 

I have the March 2011 version and tried this recipe for the first time tonight.  I found the instructions vague and the end result was disappointing.

The method doesn't specify how much oil and salt to use in the marinade.  I used what was listed in the ingredients list, only to find that these measurements were for the actual sauce.

Also, the recipe says to cook for 20-25 minutes.  I did mine for just 20 minutes but my veal was way overcooked by this stage and was very dry and tough.  We smothered it in the sauce and were able to eat it but it was so disappointing. 

Does anyone have any tweeks for this one or should I mark it 'Never to be cooked again'?!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:54 am »
This is the only list of updates from the EDC that I could find asha and the veal recipe is not amongst it.  I made it once in the early days using chicken instead of veal but have made a note that it was bland. I would forget about it, there are far more tasty recipes on this forum and if you check out the All-in-one meal section you will find some tasty dishes there.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:23:43 am »
Thanks judydawn...will have a look at the All-In-One section, it sounds like just what I am after!

Plus I have also ordered myself a copy of Tenina's new book and the Dinner Spinner one so hopefully I can get some great ideas from both of those.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 09:55:22 am »
This review was posted by ClareN 5/1/11 in another section of the forum

Recipe Name: Veal Pizziola
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: Made it twice and the second time I blitzed the oil, oregano and added garlic for the marinade.  Also marinated it for 5 hours for more flavour.
Review: Very nice.  Guests were impressed    Meat is very tender and veggies are nice in the varoma.
Score: (out of 5*) 5