Author Topic: Help, I have stains on the lid  (Read 11629 times)

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
Help, I have stains on the lid
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:18 am »
I processed a few Kilos of tomatoes into sauce. Basically the recipe as in the EDC. When I washed up the bowl and lid I discovered the lid on the top around the vent is stained slightly red from the tomato. I have really scrubbed and also tried a bit of bleach in the water but it is still visible. I know it will not hurt anything but I am a new consultant with only one bowl at this time and I really would like to clear it off. Any ideas or suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

dj

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I have stains on the lid
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:40 am »
ozzy-dj I can understand why you would want to keep your TMX in pristine condition for demos. I had a problem recently when making a tomato based sauce which splashed out onto the white part of the TMX where the lid clips in.  It wouldn't come out at first but over the ensuing days, it just seemed to disappear and now has completely gone.  I didn't do anything special, used gumption at first but that made no difference.  I didn't even really notice when it did disappear to be honest but glad it did.  Maybe over time and a few washes, your lid will do the same. Here's wishing you luck.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:28:29 am »
What a shame, DJ.
I wonder if a few sessions in the dish washer will fade the marks a little faster?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:32:40 am »
Thanks for the comments. At least on the dark lid it is not TOO visible. I wiped it off the body of the thermomix as soon as I saw it and had no problem there. Even the wall behind the TX came clean. :)  ;D

Yes I think the lid will do a few rounds in the dishwasher and see how it goes.

dj

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:07:47 am »
We have all been through this and there is a thread somewhere on this forum. I think tumeric is the worst and yes tomatoes do it too. Try soaking it in bleach but most of us, I guess have just learned to "embrace" our tainted lids. If you are using it for demos probably buying a spare is a good thing.

You might also try mother's favourite of mixing bicarb and vinegar with a tooth brush.

Search the forum and you will find some other suggestions Iam sure.

Hope this helps.

Gretchen

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
OR just tell them that if their lid doesn't look like this when they own a TMX then they aren't using it enough!!!!

I know how you feel DJ as we are supposed to have our machines in pristine order BUT we are still to use them as well and I wouldn't stress too much.  ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »
Also if the plastics didn't stain then they wouldn't be as 'food safe' as they are  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:53 pm »
I got a stain from blueberries - jam, and also when I prepared  carrot soup made with red carrots.  A friend who grows different varieties gave me a basket of the different types of carrots and there were too many of the red ones to use in fresh salads and for snacks.  I had what looked like a ring of rust around the MC opening but got it off with the following method. 

My favorite solution for this type of stain is a barely damp cloth (I keep small squares of rough muslin just for this) dipped into DRY baking soda (bicarb) and scrubbed onto the spot.   It works sort of like a cleansing powder but is safer to use. 

This is also what I use to remove the burnt on black or brown spots from my antique chrome kitchen appliances, such as toasters, waffle irons, etc.  It takes a little "elbow grease" but will remove the spots without damaging the finish. 

However, I also found that a preventative solution is to spray the lid, inside and around the MC opening and the MC itself with non-stick cooking spray prior to starting the cooking process.   
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:25:06 am »
Thanks ever so much for everyone. So far I have decided to embrace the fact I USE it so it may look used. I found that when it is dry it does not show so much.

dj

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 06:14:19 am »
I have to agree those stains disappear quickly so don't stress!  ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:33 am »
Me too - carrots, tomatoes, turmeric, curries, and many other things have stained it.  But usually not a worry.  The only problem is if it carries a smell.

I always pull the seal out and clean under there, but the colour/smells fade.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.