Author Topic: Tuna Mornay - Budget Busters  (Read 9950 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Tuna Mornay - Budget Busters
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:45:18 am »
Thought I'd try this recipe instead of my usual one, which is a family favourite.

The recipe was very similar, slighlty easier and better tuna to sauce ratio.  Only tweak was that it wasn't very hot when it finished cooking.  So I had to heat it through.  Then I placed frozen peas in the bottom of the thermoserver and poured the mornay on top to heat the peas.  Cooked the fettucine in TMX and mixed through the mornay.

Yummy - I think DH actually preferred this over my usual one.  A great simple, family favourite with ingredients that are always on hand.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Tuna Mornay - Budget Busters
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:11:07 am »
Thanks CB79 - great to hear that it is a winner and easy.  Always good to hear from the TMX booklets.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »
LOL - this is my only ever TMX meal that has ended up in the bin.  I followed the instructions 100% but we just couldn't stomach it at all.  Just shows you that we all have different tastes. :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »
Yikes...I cooked it for friends tonight as part of "Take them a meal".  They did suggest tuna mornay as an option.  Hope they liked it.

Good to see you've reviewed it now Chelsea.  Do you normally like tuna?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:52 am »
DH and DS1 like tuna, and DS4 and I tolerate it.  We have tuna morney quite often but it is based more on a bechamel recipe with stock and curry powder.  We all weren't keen on the flavour of this and it wasn't helped by the fact that it was lukewarm by the time the dish was finished (was a good tweak to heat it through again).  It may be another dish that gets mixed reviews - like pasta e fagioli.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »
Have to admit that I didn't put the paprika in - that just didn't seem right to me.

Offline Auspicia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:13 am »

Mmmm... We loved this!

Used 100grams of cheese and corn instead of peas. Then I popped it into a lasagne dish topped with fresh breadcrumbs and a little parmesan and put it in the oven until golden and crispy on top and served with crusty breadrolls. Carb overload - but yummo!

Thanks for the recipe! :-)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:33:16 am »
This review was made by ClareN 17/1/11 and posted elsewhere on the forum

Recipe Name: Tuna Mornay
Book Name: Budget Busters
Tweaking details: Does not need 3 cloves of garlic.
Review: Waaaaaayyyyy too much garlic - and I love garlic!  But the flavour was overwhelming.  I will make again, but only use 1 clove.
Score: (out of 5*) 4
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »
Made this tonight served over cooked spiral pasta and then baked in the oven for 20 minutes.  It was a real winner in our house, everyone loved it.  I used the Italian Style Breadcrumbs from the EDC over the top as I had some in the freezer to use up. 

Note to anyone who is going to try this recipe that you really need to pour it over pasta or rice and bake it.  If you serve it immediately from the TM, the tuna and corn is still cold because it has only been mixed in with the hot sauce for five seconds.

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
Re: Re: Tuna Mornay - Budget Busters
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:04:39 am »
My family loved this! I tweaked it with only one large clove of garlic and as mentioned above I poured it over cooked pasta. I also think this is a must, I can't imagine it without the pasta.

Going to be a regular at my house, delish!!