Author Topic: Refrigerator Cookies  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Refrigerator Cookies
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:38:47 am »
Refrigerator Cookies - the variety that you make with just three basic ingredients, can roll into a log and store in your fridge for slicing into rounds later on, or freeze them to be defrosted and sliced. Mine didn't last that long  :P

This is a Women's Weekly recipe, altered a little.

250g butter - softened (40 seconds, 50 degrees, speed 4 if straight from the fridge)
160g icing mixture
375g plain flour

Soften butter, add icing mixture and mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds, then scrape down sides and repeat.

Add 200g plain flour, mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds, then scrape down the sides and add the remaining 175g flour. Mix again on speed 6 for 30 seconds this time, using spatula through the lid to push some of the dough down on to the blades.

This is quite a dry dough so it works REALLY WELL in the TMX, because you can get it out really easily  ;D You're going to have to knead it a little if you want to roll it and store it in the fridge, so it doesn't matter if the flour isn't totally incorporated. When it's done, remove lid, turn bowl upside down on the benchtop (won't need to flour it as the dough isn't sticky) remove the base of the bowl and push on the bottom of the blades so that the dough/blades drop on to the bench. Remove bowl, and pull the blades off the top of the dough. Use the spatula to push out any dough around the blades. Knead dough lightly and roll into two logs, about 25cm long. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze. To cook them, you need to slice them into rounds once they've been refrigerated for about an hour. Slice them about 1cm thick, and cook in preheated oven on 170-180 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.

Optional flavours:

Lemon: Blitz the rind of one lemon before adding the butter and continuing as above.

Double choc: Replace 30g of the flour with 30g of cocoa, and before adding the second batch of flour, mix in 80g of choc chips using  :-:

Choc hazelnut: Roughly chop half a cup of hazelnuts before adding butter and continuing as above, but switching some flour for cocoa as with double choc recipe.

I make these often, and I usually refrigerate and slice, but last night I just rolled them in to balls instead. Filled two large baking trays and had enough for a small log that I put in the freezer :)

Photos of cocoa and white choc chip cookies, rolled into a log and sliced, and also lemon rind flavoured that have been rolled in the hand rather than refrigerated in between. Also pics of dough to show how easily it comes out of the bowl.

members' comments

simplyrhonda - What a great recipe! Thank you. Made these the other day. Made one roll for the freezer and used the rest of the dough to make small balls. Got my youngest daughter to press a freckle into the centre. Kids loved them. Will definitely use this recipe but will probably add some vanilla. Cheers.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:13:03 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Refrigerator Cookies
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:05:22 am »
A Women's Weekly one Depome - it's got to be good then  :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:59:51 am »
Thanks for publishing this/these recipes.  They are always in demand.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:30 am »
I haven't liked any of the biscuits doughs that I've made in the TMX until this, because this is one of those that is REALLY stiff to combine by hand because it's not sticky (can roll it in your hands easily). I was so pleased to see it plop out of the bowl with no issues at all so it's a big winner for me. I've been using the recipe for about three years anyway, but now chopping nuts, lemon rind etc is so much easier, and all of the labour is removed from mixing the flour in. Big thumbs up!

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 03:50:54 am »
Photos added

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:01:56 am »
Thanks for the pics - they do look good.  Nice and easy to clean that bowl too.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »
Can I just confirm that "Icing Mixture" is Icing Sugar??   If not, could you describe it a bit so this uneducated Pom can find an equivalent.

Thanks

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:17 pm »
Icing mixture has a small amount of cornflour added.

I use plain icing sugar instead. :)

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=787654
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »
Thanks Ceejay  :-* :-*

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:26:38 am »
Yeah it's cornstarch or similar on the packet. Not gluten free (though there are GF versions available now apparently). I don't know why they bother to be honest - perhaps it's cheaper? I have never observed.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:20:06 am »
Thanks for converting this Depome. I haven't made them for years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline simplyrhonda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:27 am »
What a great recipe! Thank you. Made these the other day. Made one roll for the freezer and used the rest of the dough to make small balls. Got my youngest daughter to press a freckle into the centre. Kids loved them. Will definitely use this recipe but will probably add some vanilla. Cheers.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:06 am »
We will go to Port Stephen this weekend, making this today and will freeze it - treat for kids and friends.  I should be strong and not touch this as need to loose weight.   :P
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.