Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9015445 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:50 am »
I'm making the chicken and tarragon pie that Paul very kindly put up here for me.  I've got the butter in the freezer and the water in the fridge, ready for the quick puff pastry.  I'm going to have a go at making the filling in the TMX, so if the conversion goes well I'll post it.  Making it with one of our own 'home grown' chickens - I thought it was a recipe special enough for it.  And I'll be using the last of our tarragon which I froze during the autumn (it's French, Paul  :D ), which has also been waiting for something a bit special, as  although my tarragon plant is showing signs of getting going again, it won't be ready to use for a good few weeks yet.

I think I'm going to have to go for mashed potato with it too, Paul  ;D

I'm also hoping to get some lemon & poppy seed muffins made, plus some bread.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #646 on: May 18, 2009, 10:30:26 am »
I'm just wolfing down a piece of Karen's Carrot cake that I made this afternoon!!
It is a very forgiving recipe - I only had about 60gms of applesauce  and I only cooked it for 45 minutes and iti s still delicious.
Especially with the cream cheese frosting I just made!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2009, 10:33:37 am »
mine only cooks 45 mins too, i think it must depend on the size of the tin ;)

i am making a version of josie's meatloaf - i'm doing a mexican chicken version lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:08 am »
I just made the mince curry that Judy posted.  ;D ;D
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:32 am »
i used too much chicken and it's only half cooked  :'(
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2009, 11:23:28 am »
i had to zap the chicken in the microwave for 5 minutes but OMG it was SO YUM!  will write it up later, as a draft so i don't forget! mind you it's caused horrendous whinging in all the children but too bad i say!
My Cooking Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
When I were lad .....  Have to agree, the better supermarkets around Melbourne are in areas where there is competition.  The quality and variety varies so much between suburbs too-especially with different ethnic mixes.

We also have good markets.  Talking to Nico and the Perthites here, we are much better off in Melbourne for variety and choice.

I loved the market in Melbourne - I went there every week to do my food shopping.  Don't think I ever went near a supermarket, as far as I remember, anyway.  It was bliss. 

My grandmother used to take me to the Queen Vic market when I was 4 or 5, back in the 60s.  She had one of those green vinyl upright trolleys, and I used to stand in it and peer over the edge while she pushed me around and fill up the spaces beside me with veges.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 18, 2009, 04:34:45 pm »
I'm just wolfing down a piece of Karen's Carrot cake that I made this afternoon!!
It is a very forgiving recipe - I only had about 60gms of applesauce  and I only cooked it for 45 minutes and iti s still delicious.
Amanda, please post the cream cheese frosting... ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »
i have never managed to make the frosting before the cake is all gone lol
My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #654 on: May 19, 2009, 03:02:33 am »
Amanda, please post the cream cheese frosting... ;)

It wasn't really the best one I've ever had, Amanda, but not too bad.

250gms Philly or other cream cheese (NOT the stuff in a jar)
1/4 cup butter
3 cups icing sugar ( may need to add a little more)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whizz Speed 5 20 seconds, then scrape down and check.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:45 am »
Tonight I am roasting a mini pork loin in a pizza oven, but I'm using the TMX to make apple sauce.  The one in the cookbook is apples and water, but I'm also going to add some butter, apple brandy, lemon juice and lemon zest and black pepper.  Roast carrots, sweet potato and potatoes.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #656 on: May 19, 2009, 09:29:20 am »
i have never managed to make the frosting before the cake is all gone lol

ROFL - I remember when I was v young, we had a cat that got up on the kitchen table and ate a chunk out of the corner of the Christmas cake mum had baked - needed some quick cutting and pasting of icing to cover before the relatives came for lunch.

Really think the cream cheese frosting has to be on for my childhood memories to be evoked properly - although now I'm getting old there is not the same memory anyway. What were we talking about?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #657 on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:37 am »
Tonight I am roasting a mini pork loin in a pizza oven, but I'm using the TMX to make apple sauce.  The one in the cookbook is apples and water, but I'm also going to add some butter, apple brandy, lemon juice and lemon zest and black pepper.  Roast carrots, sweet potato and potatoes.

Sounds great - is that a pizza oven outside?  The sauce sounds good - worth sharing under Sauces and Chutneys me thinks  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #658 on: May 19, 2009, 09:45:11 am »

What time did you say dinner is?? ;D

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 19, 2009, 10:01:17 am »

Sounds great - is that a pizza oven outside?  The sauce sounds good - worth sharing under Sauces and Chutneys me thinks  ;) ;)

It's a gas pizza oven from Bunnings, nothing fancy and woodfired but it gets hot.  If the sauce is successful, I'll make a recipe for the right section.  Amanda, who knows when dinner will be?  It depends upon me not stuffing up the vagaries of the pizza oven!