Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9017669 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #22290 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:08 am »
I may go even longer without shopping . Still have a whole chicken in the freezer and even more chicken breasts and steak. Not nearly empty and I have not got to the tuna yet.

Maybe use up some frozen raw prawns tomorrow .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #22291 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:15 am »
Loving seeing what you're making from your freezer and pantry stocks Gert.  It's amazing what you come up with.
I need to do the same, as we have way more food here than we need.

Lovely cake Suzanne.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #22292 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:20 am »
I decided to have a big cook up today but right from the start things went wrong; dough was too dry, scales didn't register properly for the baking powder and so on, but I was not too be beaten and proceeded and now have a loaf of bread which looks great and Apple Brioche from judydawns recipe; by the way, I am exhausted after those few things.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: April 20, 2014, 11:21:31 am »
Oh, Troupie - do I know what you mean!! I know the feeling well!! But congratulations on your perseverance . . and the results!! well done!! :D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #22294 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:04 am »
Love the cake Suzanne.
Your meals look great Gert. Very inspiring.
I've got the dog bone cookie cutter Gert. Any dog biscuit recipes you recommend?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #22295 on: April 21, 2014, 01:44:23 am »
A few weeks ago when my freezer decided to defrost itself . I just left it to re freeze everything so now with my new personal challenge not to buy any food until May I am using up EVERYTHING. Including today"s treat. Raw prawns are now defrosting once again and the avocados I bought two weeks ago are finally ripe . You can see where I am going with this one . I found in the fridge 3 tubes of wasabi with only one opened. I have no idea how the other two tubes found their way into the fridge. Probably wanted to chill out together. Anyway one opened tube is now part of my sauce/dressing  for today's meal .

I still had some whey from my ricotta making so with the wasabi, whey, mayo and a bit of tomato sauce ( just emptying the bottle as in cleaning out the pantry) made a tasty sauce .

I can't keep the fresh chillies forever so now drying them in the oven. Would have done it in the sun but we have none at the moment. I probably would have made more jam/chutney but I am now out of sugar so that one was out.

Going in!

Photo later when I decide how to deal with the prawns. Probably steam them with bay seasoning.  Still have one crayfish tail to deal with.

Took a nice corn fed chook out to be defrosted. The freezer is getting there for sure

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22296 on: April 21, 2014, 01:57:09 am »
Then you can come down and start on my freezer Gert, you could live for 12 months out of mine  ;D  I've been living out of it with precooked meals/leftovers for over a week now so the meat just sits there waiting, waiting.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #22297 on: April 21, 2014, 02:15:36 am »
It is actually easier than it seems, making meals from the freezer.  :D

I have an apple tea cake cooking now.

:D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: April 21, 2014, 02:33:38 am »
This is the last time I am doing this. I going to make a plan and stick to it...........maybe!!

I live just 7 minutes from a shopping centre opened 7 days a week. I have to go collect my mail nearly every day so why do I have anything much in the damn freezer? I never have much leftover because we eat that for breakfast anyway.  Even when I see a bargain It would be cheaper not to buy it or double up anyway. For just two people I do not need to freeze anything much.

For my visitors next Monday I am just buying what I need for the lunch and no more except for the ham I promised my self  months ago.

Oh boy when. I get to the pantry stuff I am gunna  be ruthless. How many bottles of this and that do I need. I see some interesting sauces coming up. No more buying stuff in case of except anchovies of course!

Gert

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22299 on: April 21, 2014, 02:35:53 am »
It is actually easier than it seems, making meals from the freezer.  :D

I have an apple tea cake cooking now.

The problem is that I keep finding new recipes I want th convert and try.  Am looking right now at a recipe by Neil Perry , pumpkin pie with pine nuts.  Also a Cumquats cream pie.  
Today have made 3 jars of Chinotto Marmalade and  now Cumquats into marmalade.    All in TMX. .  Pea and ham soup in SC.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #22300 on: April 21, 2014, 02:42:35 am »
I think this has been quite an inspiration Gert!
It has made me look at my pantry.
Not my freezer as I had to empty that two months ago.
Perhaps we could have a separate thread to keep us inspired to use what we have and to not over buy.
Thanks Gert!

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #22301 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:37 am »
I have 6 kids in my kitchen ATM eating this cake, making comments like "yummy"- "never beat this" - "yum yum" - "this is better than ice-cream" - "this is way better than my mum makes"(from one nephew) "mmmmm" - "can you make this again for afternoon tea on Mondays?" (from the nephew that comes every Monday afternoon during school term)- "this is just beautiful"  :) :) :) :) I'm sitting out of sight grinning to myself.  :)
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22302 on: April 21, 2014, 02:54:12 am »
Is it any wonder astarra, that cake looks just too good to sit there and not be demolished.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #22303 on: April 21, 2014, 03:00:17 am »
just made choc chip cookies
Belgium lemon tea cake
sausage rolls for lunch :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22304 on: April 21, 2014, 03:56:35 am »
Astarra that is lovely Nd the cake looks great too.

Gert