Author Topic: recipe review - hummus (my way of cooking)  (Read 5655 times)

Bonsai

recipe review - hummus (my way of cooking)
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:24 am »
Recipe Name: Hummus
Book Name: My way of cooking
Tweaking details: Don't add the whole 100g of cooking liquid from chick peas - maybe half then check the consistency of the hummus. I added more lemon juice (total 70g),  only 20g of olive oil and come cumin powder (approx 2 tsp)
Review: This is the first time I've made hummus 'from scratch' with sesame seeds and home-cooked chick peas. The chick peas were well cooked after 40 mins (as per recipe) even though I cooked 500g in 1500g water (put it on  ^^ rather than speed 1 as i thought the peas would break up too much. The chick peas were a little too soft to my taste for use in other recipes, but great if your going to puree them. Adding 100g cooking liquid made a very runny hummus (to my taste), so I added some tahini 20g plus maybe an extra 150-200g chick peas to thicken it. I think 60g of olive oil would make it too oily (and possibly too 'olive' tasting depending on your oil).
I'd certainly make this again with some tweaks.
Score: 3/5 without tweaks

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: recipe review - hummus (my way of cooking)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:14:17 am »
Thanks for the feedback Bonsai. Hadn't even noticed this in My Way Of Cooking. At demo's we make the one in the EDC all the time, however we don't use the liquid from the can (apparently this contains the toxins that are drawn out of the chick peas when tinned  ??? ) so I just used about 1/2 mc of fresh water and a little bit of olive oil through it too.

Nice with a drizzle of olive oil over the top and sprinkled with some fresh dukkah from EDC too  :P
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:05 pm »
Contains toxins - I didn't know that ILB.  On the odd occasion when I have made it, I have forgotten to save the liquid anyway and it has gone down the drain before I read the recipe.  Have now amended the EDC recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »
so I was told by my group leader. she said to never use the liquid in any cans of tinned legumes, beans etc and to wash them really well until the water no longer foams.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:38 am »
That's good to know.  I always drain and rinse my beans well as it is the water that contains most of the flatulance-causing  problems (whether soaked from dry or tinned).  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:17 pm »
Thx Bonsai - it may be that you had good quality fresh chickpeas amd not the hard old bullets that most of us seem to end up with.

Always pays to check on timing though if you wanted to use them for something in their whole state - Thanks again  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.