Author Topic: TAIWAN BREAD  (Read 32148 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
TAIWAN BREAD
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:34 pm »
Hello everyone! :) :) :) :)

As promised here I am again after a slight absence ...
I was very surprised by the concern shown by some members of this forum!
I was very excited. Thank you.  :) :) :)

In my last trip made a crime :-)) - yes you read very well - isi made a crime "THEFT" 

The plane had a magazine of which I stole a Page with international recipes that I found very interesting and as I am the  "Woman of Bread" found it so interesting that I couldn't control my self! ;)

Quietly tore the leaf in question and lay down a deadly look to the child who was sitting at my side "Do not tell anyone" - I hope he wont be misled for the rest of his life!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

One of the recipes I found very interesting and saw it before  published by a friend in a Portuguese Forum -  exactly like the magazine (does she also stole a sheet??)  ;D ;D

Do not ask me about the Name because cant explain it as well - but It is really very funny and the flavor - mhhhh!

Here goes:

TAIWAN BREAD

Ingredients:
240 gram of water
1 teaspoon dry baker's yeast (5g)
30 gram brown sugar
30 gram butter, more to taste
500 gram of flour,
1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
Place in the TMX water, yeast, sugar, butter and mix 1m /37 º / level 3
Add flour, salt and knead 3min / level ::
Reserve in a large bowl covered with a damp cloth.
And let rise in warm place for 30min

Divide the dough into 3 parts.

Form 3 balls and place in a greased  form

Let it rest for another 30 minutes or until it is double the volume

Preheat oven to 180 º C
Brush the bread with milk and Bake it for about 30 minutes

It is really very nice but I really dont understand the Realtion wit the Name because it seems more a European kind of white Bread then oriental ??? ??? ??? 
Hope you like it
Regards
isi

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: TAIWAN BREAD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:08 am »
Looks great Isi.
You are not the first person to take a page from a magazine so don't worry.
 Did you use Bakers flour or plain flour?
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:35:05 am »
Hi VHJ

I dont know the difference of the 2 flours!
I use normal wheat flour!!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:22:11 am »
In Australia we use bakers flour mainly for our bread making. We use plain flour mainly to make cakes and puddings.  :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:40:41 am »
It does seem an interesting name isi...

As for the magazine... I thought you were allowed to take the whole thing... I have done. ;)

Must try this one as well... my list is getting long!  :o

:D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:06:11 am »
Welcome back Isi!!!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:31:18 am »
Isi,  made this new bread for lunch today,  however I made some changes because I wanted to try some new flour.  It was lovely,  and DH ate far too much.  I can tell other Forum members that it will work very well with all white flour,  although I substituted 100g of freshly ground wholemeal flour for 100g of white flour.   We bought a new bag of chook wheat,  and as I had run out of wholemeal flour I thought i would grind some in the TMX and see what happened.   First there was a lot of husk,  so I washed it and floated off the husk.   Next dried the wheat and then ground it.  When cooked in isi's recipe it had a wonderful aroma and taste,  unlike the bought wholemeal flour.   I had to cook the loaves for 15 mins. longer,   but ended up with 3 little loaves.   These are a very convenient size for just 2 people.   Sorry to carry on so much,  it is just that a member was asking about buying grain,  and this may be the answer.   I think that the grain I used was not strong wheat with a lot of gluten as it took a bit longer to rise, how ever 100g in 500 is OK.  It will be good in biscuits, I often use 1/2 bakers flour and 1/2 cake flour in biscuits.       
I would appreciate any comments from country people who may have used their own wheat for flour.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:23:28 am »
Great to have you back isi and you certainly hit the ground running with this lovely looking recipe.  Wish I had found it before I made my loaf of bread this morning as I would have tried it.  Yes, I think you are encouraged to take those airline magazines with you, so you are not a criminal isi - I usually write recipes from books in doctor's surgeries and the like and hope my name isn't called before I finish getting all of the recipe.  One receptionist saw me writing one day and called out, 'just tear the page out' so I did!
Chookie, I have a packet of 'cleaned wheat' from a healthfood store - is that what you are talking about ?  Will give it a go when I need another loaf - can't even remember why I bought it in the first place.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:20 am »
we went to a Vietnamese restaurant once where they served a sweet bread. can't remember what we ate with it, or if it was eaten on its own, but it wasn't big. would this be something like that?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:30:51 am »
It is unusual to get bread in an Asian restaurant and I have never eaten in a Vietnamese one so the name is a bit baffling really.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
I never worked with "real" :-)) cereals   :D :D :D
but with all these explanations certainly also will try one day!
Thank you so much
 :-* :-*

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31:16 am »
Not completely sure of this (so don't quote me) but the French colonised a fair whack of Asia, especially Vietnam.
There is a fairly heavy influence of French bread making in Vietnamese bakeries. Well, here in Adelaide at least!!!!
So maybe..... and I'm happy to be corrected..... that's the link between Taiwan and bread!!!???!?!?

Anyhoo... sounds like a yummy recipe so it is on the list to try after I attempt Isi's Portugeuse rolls.
Lucky for me Im not a big bread fan otherwise the 'derriere' would resemble a rather large loaf soon enough.
 ;D ;D ;D :o

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
The French took bread making to Vietnam when they had control of the country.   In Vietnam the bread is fantastic,   and in the big hotels so are the French pastries.   ;D.
JD,  your cleaned wheat would be superior to my chook wheat.   How ever I don't know if it is hard or soft wheat.   Grind a bit up and replace about 100g in a 500g flour recipe.  Be prepared to cook it a bit longer.   It will also take longer to rise,  so give it plenty of time.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:46:13 am »
I think that sounds like a very good explanation for this bread KL.  :)

Chookie I have heard of people sieving their freshly milled flour.  I think they do that to remove the husks? I mill grain for our bread but it comes from my organic distributor so I can't help.  I will have to check the prices of their organic chook wheat - perhaps I should change over. :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 02:23:46 pm »
It's a shame I don't live near you, I could bring you some wheat. We have heaps of it!!

Chook wheat would be a mixture of all sorts of wheat unless you are getting it straight from the farmer. It's usually wheat that's too small to sell. If it has a lot of husk, that would be the case. 

I doubt that there would be bread in Taiwan unless, like China and Thailand it has the consistency of sponge cake and is sweet. That's what I've found in Asian countries. The exception, as chookie said is Vietnam. The bread and pastries there are absolutely divine!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand