Author Topic: Seriously hot sweet chilli sauce - how can I tone it down?!  (Read 14700 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Seriously hot sweet chilli sauce - how can I tone it down?!
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:11 pm »
Hi all,
I just followed Cyndi O'Meara's thermomix recipe for sweet chilli sauce to the letter.  Now, I've tasted this sauce as made by someone else, and it was delicious.  I think that the problem is that I've used my homegrown chilli's - and they're HOT!!! 

The sauce is so hot that there is no way that either I or my daughter can eat it (my husband would be fine  :) ).  Does anyone have any ideas on how to tone it down?  Could I just double the quantities of the other ingredients and re-cook it?  Or would it lose flavour / stay just as hot?

Hope someone can help!   :-\

Caroline
Recipe:
6 large red chillies, seeded and roughly chopped
1 tsp small red chillies (can use dried)
60g hot water
60g rice vinegar
60g raw or rapadura sugar
1 tsp sea salt
4 cloves garlic, peeled

Soak fresh chillies in water for 15 mins and drain well.

Place all ingredients into TM bowl and puree on speed 8 for 20 seconds, or until smooth.

Cook for 15 mins at 90 degrees on reverse and speed soft.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Seriously hot sweet chilli sauce - how can I tone it down?!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:41:47 pm »
That is a BIG problem with recipes that call for chillis - the German website has useful tips and there is a daily tip that talks about the various heat levels. (Sorry, I haven't copied that one yet - I'll catch it next month?)

There is a translation of another tip HERE that talks about how to tone down the chilli factor.

What I would try with your case is to get some red capsicums, to maintain the colour, and blitz them with some sugar, vinegar and water - perhaps one capsicum to the quantities listed - then add say one quarter of your current mix.  Check for heat/taste and add extra salt, chilli mix as needed.

Sugar helps calm the heat, so you can add more than is listed and add more vinegar to balance that aspect.

Good luck and welcome on board.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:51 am »
Thanks, Thermomixer - I'll give that a try.  I'll let you know how it works out.

And thanks for the welcome :-)  I was really pleased to find this forum.  I love my Thermomix, and I'm determined to really learn how to use it to its maximum potential.  This forum should really help me to do that - and hopefully to then help others to do the same.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:13:00 am »
We're equally glad that you are contributing.  Although it looks like brazen and I "own" the site, we really only joined later in the set-up, but we seem to monopolize it and so have been made Moderators.

I was extremely happy to find the forum as I believe something like this is essential for helping the users.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:12:14 am »
hey, speak for youself, i'm the boss  ;D ;D :-*

mmmmm love sweet chilli sauce, thanks for that caroline!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:43:49 pm »
I've followed your advice, and it's worked well.  Still slightly hotter than I'd usually make it, but not too hot to eat - and it tastes nice to.  I don't think my daughter could cope with it, but at least my husband and I will enjoy it - and I can add extra sugar to Esther's.

I re-did the recipe using capsicum, and added one quarter of the chilli sauce at the end.  Then I added a bit more sugar and vinegar.

Of course, now I've got tons of sweet chilli sauce!!  ;D  Anyone know if I can freeze it?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:26 pm »
can't see why not :) do it in ice cube trays so you can get out serving sized pieces :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:45:44 pm »
You should be able to freeze it - as brazen has said - but with the sugar and vinegar in there it will probably keep for ages.

The chilli may kill any self-respecting bug anyway  :D
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 05:37:54 am »
How about putting it into jars and giving it to friends for Christmas?  I know I would be honoured to receive a jar of home made chilli sauce. You have tempted me to try the recipe too, thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57:21 am »
Thanks for the tips, everyone.  And good idea, Cookie1!  Presents it is  :D

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:23 pm »
ohhh great idea for chrissy pressies... also warning - if you freeze it it will most likely be hotter.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:04:33 am »
Thanks for the warning, Alina!  Good job I decided to go the pressies route  ;D