Author Topic: Homemade Milo (GF DF)  (Read 28463 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:36 pm »
Milo is not just for kids, but that's where the recipe is hiding!

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3078.0 

(CB79 - thought I'd reprint it here - doesn't take up that much room and it is good - thanks TMXer)

Name of Recipe: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons linseeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons pepitas
1/3 cup almonds
1/4 cup brazil nuts
1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup pecan nuts
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup rapadurra

Preparation:

Start by grinding linseeds and sesame seeds into a fine powder - speed 9 approx 20 seconds.

Place everything except the cocoa powder and rapadurra in the bowl and blend on speed 9 for 5-10 seconds, checking and scraping down until a fine powder.  Don't blend too far as you don't want paste.

Add cocoa powder and rapadurra and mix through, about speed 7 for 3 seconds, checking and scraping.  I helped mine with the spatula a little.  Taste a little as more sugar can be added if necessary.

Use exactly like milo.  This recipe filled my 450g Milo tin so it does make a lot.  Keep in the fridge for about 2 months.

Tips/Hints:
The texture is exactly like milo, with a very fine crunch.  It is a much darker brown, and has a deeper chocolate flavour so may need a little more/less than original milo usage. 

Could be used to flavour custard, adding great nutritional value as well

Nutrition
I combined two recipes and added the cocoa and sugar myself to create Milo.  The source of the original two recipes has some useful information as follows.

The ground nut combination offers complete protein, a good dose of antioxidants and many other vitamins and minerals.  Great for children who are underweight, have a poor appetite or are fussy about eating protein.

The seed combination is like a food multi-vitamin as they are rich in all of the macronutrients and most of the vitamins and minerals a child needs to grow and blossom.

If you leave out the cocoa and sugar, you have a fantastic "booster" for any recipe as the nut/seed mix is quite flavourless by itself.  It does change the texture of some things quite a bit (eg yoghurt) so don't get too heavy handed.

Stir a teaspoon through porridge, homemade dip, mix with ricotta, cottage cheese or jam.  Mix through breakfast cereal or yoghurt, add into milkshakes or smoothies.  Add to any bread, cake, muffin, scone, pancake etc.

Inspired by "Feeding Fussy Kids" by Julie Maree Wood.  Delicious Nutritious Recipes and Clever Ideas to Encourage Picky Eaters.  Highly recommend having a look at this book - the nutritional information is great. Julie is a naturopath and nutritionist in Sydney.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:07:52 am by cathy79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:53:03 am »
Again thanks CB79 - really great if the kids take to this.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:58 am »
Great recipe Cathy! I'll give this one a whirl on the weekend  :-* :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:56:18 am »
wow, can't wait to try it!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:24:45 am »
sorry to bump this but i really would like feedback on someone who has made this or makes it regularly and their comments before sourcing the ingredients??

also what are pepitas??

thx  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:01:31 am »

Frozzie. pepitas are the hulled, edible seeds of a pumpkin. They are green, flat seeds approx 5mm long and are particularly popular in Mexico. Pepitas are sold salted, roasted and raw, but nutritionally it's better to buy them raw.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »
Frozzie click on the link at the top of the recipe and it will take you to the other thread on this recipe. We love it ;) no more store bought Milo for us now  :D ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 02:11:22 am »
wow - sounds amazing - I don't let my kids have milo so this would be a great substitute....love Julie's book too !
Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 05:26:14 am »
Thanks jd your a star as always and thanks meagan for thé info ... Will check out thé other link  :)

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:54 am »
I made this 2 days ago and it has been a big hit with my kids and my husband. The ingredients were very easy to find and accessible also.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
Glad you're all enjoying it - it's a staple in this house!

Sonan, Julie has a new book out too.  From the review here, it looks like a lot of similar recipes though.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 05:52:53 pm »
well finally got all the ingredients and made it after school...kids generally liked it although they dont know what milo is..dont get it here but i enjoyed it and hubby isnt home yet so will try it on him later or for breaky tomorrow..love that its full of goodness and ready to go for a hot or cold drink morning or afternoon...only problem i had was the linseeds mostly stayed whole??? i didnt blend it too much more than what was marked as it started clumping together and i was worried it would quickly become a paste..next time i might try mixing the linseeds first then the rest of the first lot of ingredients??  has anyone else had this problem..i prefer to have it as a powder as my son hates 'bits' and the linseeds he can see and i think thats whats bothering him??

as soon as i fix the linseed proble'm think everyone will love it...thanks cathy for the recipe..might pass this one on as gifts to friends  :)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »
Frozzie the other thread recipe is slightly altered. Check that one and maybe cookie mm or Cathy could alter this recipe to be the same as the other one to avoid confusion  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:36:36 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »
thanks meagan..oh well i knew the comments were different but didnt realise the recipes were different..will teach me to pay more attention !

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:10:33 am »
Frozzie, I've updated this recipe - sorry about that.  This was the original version, and got tweaked to solve exactly your linseed problem.

Glad you liked it.