Author Topic: Chocolate Banana-Nut Ice-Cream (with photos)  (Read 31407 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Chocolate Banana-Nut Ice-Cream (with photos)
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:13 am »
Chocolate Banana-Nut Ice-Cream

I don't measure the amounts in this recipe - it's very flexible.  Just taste it and see if you want more cacao/cocoa, or agave, etc, and adjust to taste.  But for those of you who like everything 'just so', I've added approximate amounts.

Toss into Thermomix bowl and process on speed 9 until it all comes together - about 30 seconds:
- half a TM bowl of frozen banana pieces (about 500g, cut in 1 inch chunks )
- a good handful or two of raw pecans or macadamia nuts or raw cashews (about 150g)
- a couple of heaped tablespoonfuls of cacao powder or organic cocoa powder (about 20 - 30g)
- a couple of tablespoons of agave syrup, to taste or pure maple syrup/raw honey (about 30g)
(It will be crumbly at first, but keep mixing and it will come together.)

That's it!  Serve it immediately before it melts.  This makes enough for 4 - 6 people.

This a great way to get the kids out of bed on a school day - just yell, 'Chocolate ice-cream for breakfast!' and they'll come running.   ;D  I always buy a few bags of over-ripe bananas when they're in the throw-out box at the supermarket - just peel them and toss them in a bag and freeze them, then they're ready for ice-cream anytime you want it.  Cut them into pieces about an inch long before processing.  For more info on cacao, check my blog: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/chocolate-banana-nut-ice-cream.html

* Optional extra: to make this extra special, add in some Rapadura sweetened choc chips at the end! *

If you want it smooth (some kids don't like nuts) just grind the nuts first, then add everything else.

Members' comments

JD - I am very impressed Jo, thanks a lot for this recipe.  I reckon this would be a good one for consultants to show off at demos in summer instead of custard, anyone can make custard but a delicious, healthy ice-cream like this would really make the guests sit up and take notice.

cathy79 - Made this tonight using almonds and maple syrup (because that's what I had).  It was divine!  I blended for about 30 seconds and the almonds were small crushed pieces - perfect.  Our guests couldn't believe how easy and quick it was, and kept asking what was in it as they didn't believe me. I'm definitely never buying ice-cream again - just lots of bananas.

PamH - I made this for my grandkids for an after school snack (without the nuts)on Tuesday and they loved it so much we had it again yesterday, will have to get some more bananas into the freezer for them. Thanks for the great recipe.

cookie1 - I made this tonight as a test for a friend who is doing a demonstration later in the week and wanted something different and healthy. I used macadamias and maple syrup. There were chunks of macadamia through the 'ice-cream' which made it even more special.  It is really very nice and ever so easy. The 3 of us gutsed ate the whole lot. I can't wait to impress someone with it at dinner one evening.

courton - I bought the agave syrup and made the ice cream. WOW! Yummy! Can't believe it does not have unhealthy ingredients in it. I plan to buy proper wafer cones and serve the ice cream to guests next time.
I served it with chocolate waffle cones last night. Taste sensation!

Moonmobile - I just made this this morning with cashews and it was absolutely lovely. My flatmate was most impressed! It is hard to believe there was no dairy in this 'ice-cream'!

Denzelmum - I used Dutch cacao and it has darker colour then Jo's.  DH and DD don't enjoy this as much, so have left over in the freezer.  Need to put them in microwave for 10 seconds to soften, but still have nice texture and the colour still stay the same.

TAT - Thanks Judy and Cookie for your top tips! It was amazing! I think I'm addicted now! We had a two course Quirky dinner and it was all delish! Jo's a genius!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:06:16 pm by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chocolate Banana-Nut Ice-Cream (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:40:04 am »
Thanks Quirky - frozen bananas are really great for "ice creams" - they give such a great texture  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:11:35 am »
Thank you so much Jo.  I've been freezing lots of bananas lately while the prices have been good.

Have you ever tried making your own cacao powder from cacao nibs?  I'm guessing that's where you'd start, but thought you might know.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:24:51 pm »
I know in your large family you wouldn't have leftovers so maybe you have never had to freeze it Jo but I was wondering if it  would set really hard.  Looks scrumptious.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:11 pm »
Cathy - I've never tried making my own cacao powder, but I don't see why not - if you can grind coffee beans I'd say you can grind cacao nibs - let me know if you try it!  Might be cheaper?

JD - I now and then have a little leftover, and it freezes okay - a bit hard but not too bad - only problem is bananas tend to go a bit brown when you refreeze them and don't taste quite as good.  I usually try to just make enough for us, and use it all straight away.  Maybe you could halve it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »
A breakfast icecream. Fantastic. :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »
I think so, Cookie!!   ;D

Cathy, just reading about process for making cacao powder and they take the oils out of it (guess that's the cocoa butter) by cold-pressing it, before grinding it... guess it wouldn't matter if you ground your own then cut down on any oils you were adding to a recipe to make up for it... try it!  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:08:14 am »
So I guess for this recipe, you'd maybe cut down on the nuts.  And for cakes, less butter or oil?  Will definitely consider, and let you know.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:56:19 am »
I've just added amounts to this recipe for those who want them.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:39 am »
Thanks Jo, that will make it easier to halve or quarter the recipe.  I bought the organic cocoa and macadamia nuts yesterday so we may very well be having this for dessert at lunchtime today.  Will report back.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:22 am »
I am very impressed Jo, thanks a lot for this recipe.  I reckon this would be a good one for consultants to show off at demos in summer instead of custard, anyone can make custard but a delicious, healthy ice-cream like this would really make the guests sit up and take notice.  Got guests for lunch on Thursday, the male never eats dessert so this is what I am going to do - couldn't be easier.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:34 am »
Jo, just got back from my local organic shop.  Cacao powder is quite a bit cheaper than cacao nibs, so not much point in making my own.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:38:12 am »
Oh well - must be because all the cocoa butter is still in it - that stuff's expensive!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:43 am »
I am very impressed Jo, thanks a lot for this recipe.  I reckon this would be a good one for consultants to show off at demos in summer instead of custard, anyone can make custard but a delicious, healthy ice-cream like this would really make the guests sit up and take notice.  Got guests for lunch on Thursday, the male never eats dessert so this is what I am going to do - couldn't be easier.

Yes, I do these at demos sometimes instead of custard - I have a lot of health-conscious customers that try to avoid sugar!

Offline jojo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 02:25:25 am »
This looks great!

Quick question - when freezing bananas to later use for icecream, do they need to not be too over ripe? I freeze any banana that is very over ripe and defrost later to use in muffins etc, but it looks like they need to be reasonably edible to then be able to peel and freeze.

Thanks!