Author Topic: Review- Asian fish fillets - EDC  (Read 14251 times)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
Review- Asian fish fillets - EDC
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:33:28 am »
Recipe Name: Asian style fish fillets
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: Added a sauce that my consultant Elisabeth gave me the recipe for
Review: I made this once, and didn't like it- found it bland.  At a demo I did last night, my consultant added a gorgeous sauce, and I LOVED it.  I also used better quality fish the second time.
Score: (out of 5*) From the cookbook, 2.5/5.  With the sauce and good fish, 5/5.

Elisabeth's Sauce-
Add to the water (from steaming)
1/2 can coconut milk
4 t fish sauce
1 t brown or palm sugar
4 t cornflour

90 degrees, speed 4, 4 mins.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Review- Asian fish fillets - EDC
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:15 am »
Thanks for the sauce recipe - must be good to double the points  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:53 am »
A review and tweak which makes you want to try this recipe.  Thanks CarolineJ and your consultant.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:34:54 am »
I tried this recipe last night and used the sauce,that did add flavour but I still feel it needs some tweaking. overall we enjoyed the fish and would do again.  It's the first time I have used the varoma and I was pleased with how it all cooked together. :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:04:03 am »
Good to see you using the Varoma - I have quinces in it now making quince paste.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:57:35 pm »
This dish is being made for my varoma demo next week......what fish do you recommend I buy?
It was suggested to have salmon ( :-X), or firm white fish fillets ( :-*)......I'm not too fish savy  ???
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:15:47 pm »
Maddy I always use Salmon or Ocean Trout.

Another Tweak that makes a big difference is to saute the chilli, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coriander mix for 2 mins 100C with a bit of oil before putting it on the fish.  This helps to bring out the flavours and helps reduce the "grassy-ness".
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
Just thought I'd add that I made this with chicken breast fillet instead of fish last week and it was great.  Didn't make the sauce but did drizzle the fish, rice and veg once on the plate with soy sauce and sesame oil.  Very yummy.  Tonight I'm going to try it with Albany herring - not firm white fish, admittedly, but I like it, it's local, and I think it's worth a try.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:39:13 pm »
I made it last night and used the Varoma for the first time - wish I had done it 6 months ago! Hubby and I both loved the fish, and I was so impressed with how the rice came out. I love my rice cooker, but I might be converted... I didn't have any coriander so I used kaffir lime leaves instead and it was very tasty. I left the spices off the kids fish and they liked it plain. So all in all a winner. I used basa fillets that were on special and they are very mild tasting so go well with the spicy topping.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:25 am »
Great to hear the successes - yes, why don't people use their Varoma earlier?  This was the first dish I made & fell in love with the Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 02:26:17 pm »
I made this one last night but didn't cook rice in the bowl as I had some cooked rice from a previous meal. Used boiling water to steam the fish and veggies and used Nile Perch fillets as they were on special. I loved the flavours and the fish cooked beautifully. The kids complained about there being no sauce so will try the sauce recipe - thanks Caroline J. Will definitely be having it again. Even my fussy five year old loved the fish steamed without the spices on hers. First success with the Varoma so will be trying more recipes now.

Offline al

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »
Just needing some clarification here [new at this] ... when are the ingredients for Elisabeth's sauce added ... are they part of the steaming process or is the sauce made at the end?  Sounds great and I am keen to try!  Thanks.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
Al you add the ingredients to the left over water after finished cooking the rice and vegies and fish. Cook on 100degrees for 4mins speed 4. If the fish needs a little more cooking time put the veg and rice in the server while you cook the sauce with the fish still in the varoma. hope this helps  ;D
This meal is a huge hit for our family even my 18month old. I use the marinade on all pieces of fish and then scrape them off before serving to the kids
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline al

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 12:19:40 am »
Thanks so much ... I need more fish dishes that appeal to my girls!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:03 am »
I meant to add that I sauté the garlic Ginger etc on 100degrees for 2 min spd 1 before putting on the fish.

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net