Author Topic: Recipe Review - Lamb curry with Peppers - Bhoona Gosht (Indian Cookbook)  (Read 7323 times)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
I have just made this curry.  Firstly it has a great flavour, but I did find that it needed a lot more cooking time to become as tender as it should be.  I also added more water during this extra cooking time - probably about 1/2 or 3/4"s of a cup in all, but I did keep checking. 
The amount that it makes is in my view only enough for two, unless you were going to serve it with several more dishes and not just rice.  I will be serving it with an Indian pea & carrot dish and potatoes cooked with mustard seeds & curry leaves.

Trudy

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I must have misspelled the title of this dish in the search function as it didn't come up when I first thought of making this meal last week.  :-))

Anyway I've made it this morning to have for tea tonight, wish I'd read about it only producing enough for 2 as I've found that to be correct and there are 3 of us eating.  Not to worry, have made a note for next time, but getting back to the meal.  Just having a taste test before putting into a container until tonight, I loved it. ;D

I used lamb rump steak which hardly needed any trimming of fat beforehand, and only needed the cooking times as stated in the recipe, and it's so tender. I like how the green capsicum still has a bite to it.

I did leave the MC off in the sauteing of the onion,garlic & ginger, but left it on for the rest of the recipe.  Not a lot of sauce and I guess you could add more water to make more, as long as the flavour doesn't weaken too much.

I didn't have trouble with the spices sticking to the base of the bowl at all, as posted about in another thread, though I did add 35g of oil by mistake instead of 30, don't know if the extra oil stopped this from happening or what.

Also I didn't add the extra 1/2 tsp of garam masala at the end as I didn't think it needed it

Will definitely make again, only I will double the quantity, I'm sure the TM will handle it okay.  I'll be serving with spiced rice.  :D

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
I hate lamb  :-[ do you think this would work well with other meats?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't see why not Caroline, I'd try pork, beef or even chicken.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Other meats should be fine - just adjust the timing (keep a close eye on it)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Yes I can't see why other meats wouldn't be successful too. 

Forgot to mention that I reduced the chilli powder to 1/4 tsp and I will reduce to 1/8 tsp next time.  Wasn't over the top hot, but I certainly couldn't have eaten if I'd used the 1/2 tsp as in the recipe.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:45:32 pm by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That's the chilli powder you are referring to Julie?  I would certainly do the same, that stuff is too hot for me!  This looks lovely and rich.  I am not a great lover of green peppers, how do you think it would go with roasted red ones?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Thanks for that Judy, I first off wrote paprika, then curry instead of chilli  :-))  One of those days.  :D

I think red capsicum would be fine Judy, they would be soft if you've already roasted them, which of course is quite fine.  For some reason I liked the bit of bite/crunch of these today, certainly not hard, but not soft either.   :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Love the emoticon (and the pic of course ;) ).  I love hot things, but sometimes friends just don't understand moderation !

This may be one of their recipes.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.