Author Topic: Recipe review - All-in-One Salmon Tikka Dinner with Steamed Rice and Green Beans  (Read 9895 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
This took no time to make and we enjoyed it, but I recommend putting a bit more than 1 tsp of the tikka paste on each fillet for added flavour.  

Next time I will add more veg to the green beans to bulk the meal out a bit and to give more flavour also.  I ended up serving a side salad with this with a light dressing which was nice. The salmon was very moist and tender.

There seems to be something missing, can't put my finger on it, but I will make it again with some additions, I think it's worthwhile tinkering with.  I even like the idea of some roasted, cubed butternut pumpkin to go with it.

Ease of making 5/5, overall flavour, 3.5/5.(as is)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:32:18 am by judydawn »

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Wonderful - thank you. Regards Barbara
Barbara

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Would be nice using chicken fillets too I would think. Did you make your own tikka paste JulieO?

Don't answer this Julie, I have just read another thread that answers the above question.  Yes you did.  ;) Made heaps aye!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:38:48 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
We love the Tikka paste. I keep meaning to make some paneer to have with it but have been too lazy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I'm going to make the chicken tikka masala next week so I'll be able to comment on what the paste is really like then.  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
I haven't made it, but I'd say the missing ingredient is an acid. Lime would be nice, but lemon would do.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Yes, it's very much like the Asian fish fillets in the EDC book
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Thanks Megan Jane and Thermomixer, I haven't made the asian fish recipe as yet and will keep in mind the acid suggestion, thankyou.   :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Hi Julie O,  This is a fish marinade that I have from an Indian friend.  I usually cook the salmon in the oven or BBQ but I think it would also be good steamed in the varoma.  Anyway have a go and see what you think.

Trudy

TANDOORI FISH

2 salmon pieces of salmon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ajowan seeds (bruised/crushed a bit)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sour cream

Mix ingredients together.  Coat the fish and place in a shallow dish.  Marinate at least 30 mins.
Grill or bake.  You can brush with ghee or olive oil if you wish.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Sounds lovely Trudy, thankyou.  We really like salmon fillets and so I'm always looking for fresh ideas.  Will def give this a go.  Just have to see if I can get ajowan seeds from somewhere.  ;D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
I get mine at an asian store near hear as I use them also a potato dish which we love.  My girlfriend has managed to get them from the spice section at Coles.  If you can't get any let me know and will send you some.

Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Trudy, I know you cook a lot of Indian food so it would be interesting to hear what you think of the Indian Cook Book (if you have it). Most recipes reviewed seem to have the comment 'mild tasting' so obviously these recipes have been adapted for western tastes and are not the full-on flavour.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Finally got around to making this dish tonight - it is now in the Fast & Easy Indian Cooking book page 90. They must have read your comment JulieO as this book tells you to put 2 tspns tikka paste on top of each salmon portion. Quick and easy to make.  I used 125g portions and added them with 10 minutes to go which was plenty of time to cook them nicely.
I have been experimenting lately with a potato casserole and until tonight, had not cracked it but by jove I think I've done it now so I served this fish with the potato casserole and vegies. I flavoured the casserole to suit the dish and I was pretty happy with it. Another all-in-one dish but a bit of a variation from the one in the recipe book. Will post the potato recipe in it's own section.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:50:18 am by judydawn »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Yum, you've made me want to make this again, I think I'll put it on the menu for next week!  I'm off to check out your potato casserole recipe too Judy, it looks nice and something like that would make the salmon dish a more filling meal.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Good one JD - love these dishes and made something similar last week with chermoula instead of tikka masala.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.