Author Topic: Stuffed Vegetables in Tomato Passata  (Read 8408 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Stuffed Vegetables in Tomato Passata
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:16:59 am »
Stuffed Vegetables in Tomato Passata:
Serves 4-6 :

This seems complex, as there are a number of steps, but it's really easy and can all be prepared in advance. It is definitely worth it!
I had this at an Italian Restaurant and loved it so much, I came home and made it. You could also do stuffed mushrooms with the insides of the tomato and some fetta.

1. Zucchini stuffed with roasted pumpkin and fresh garlic & herb breadcrumbs
2. Tomato stuffed with zucchini, green capsicum and spinach
3. Green Capsicum stuffed with Mushroom Risotto

TOMATO PASSATA:
30ml olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1kg ripe tomatoes
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
s & p to taste

Heat oil on Varoma for 5 minutes. Add roughly chopped onion and garlic at speed 6-7 (be careful). Sauté for 7 minutes on speed 2/Varoma, MC off.
Pierce tomatoes with a skewer or tip of a sharp knife and place in boiling water for 30 seconds. Refresh in cold water and peel. Roughly chop.
Add all the rest of the ingredients to the onion and garlic and cook for 30 -40 minutes on Varoma, MC off.
Place MC back on and cool for 10 minutes then puree on speed 9 – gradually increasing speed.
Put sauce into a flat based large pan or baking dish. I use a large Bessemer Dutch Oven.

MUSHROOM RISOTTO:
Make half quantity of Risotto as per EDC. I use dried chantarelles for extra flavour. Soak them in boiling water until softened, remove and dice finely. Reserve the water to add to the stock.

ZUCCHINI:
1 Zucchini – cut in half longways
20g olive oil
˝ onion, roughly chopped
 1 cup small dice pumpkin or sweet potato
s & p to taste
fresh garlic herb breadcrumbs made in TMX
Remove the seeds from one of the zucchini halves with a spoon, making a reasonable sized hollow. Dice the other half for the tomato filling.
Heat oil in TMX for 5 minutes. Drop onion onto blades at about speed 6 or 7 (be careful of spitting). Add pumpkin and roast on Varoma/speed soft for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.

TOMATO:
Peel tomatoes by placing in boiling water and then cold water as with sauce. Remove top from tomatoes and de-seed, removing as much flesh as possible from inside. Keep aside and use in the sauce if desired.
Set aside.

Filling:
3 tsp butter
10 spinach leaves
5 basil leaves
s & p to taste
Heat butter in TMX and sauté zucchini for a few minutes until softened. Add chopped spinach and basil. Cook on speed 1/90 for a few minutes until spinach is softened. Set aside to cool.

CAPSICUM:
Remove top from capsicum and keep. Deseed and remove excess membranes. Place capsicum and the half zucchini into Varoma dish. Place water in TMX bowl. Steam for 5 minutes or until slightly softened, but still firm.

To assemble:
Fill the zucchini half with the pumpkin/onion mixture and top with breadcrumbs. Top with grated parmesan. Place into sauce. Fill the capsicum with mushroom risotto and place into sauce. Top with grated parmesan and mozzarella. Fill the tomato with the zucchini/spinach mixture and top with grated parmesan and mozzarella.

To Cook:
Place in a preheated 200°oven for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are heated through and breadcrumbs are browned.

To Serve:
Use an egg slice to place each vegetable on a plate. Pour sauce around the base and top with sprigs of fresh basil and rocket.
For non vegetarian, serve with crumbed chicken, pork or veal.

Notes
For a vegan version, use soy cheese in place of mozzarella and parmesan.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
Re: Stuffed Vegetables in Tomato Passata
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:18 am »
mmm, these sound yum. Think l will be trying for a meal or two this weekend. 

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:46:35 am »
Yummo! Definitely worth the time - they sound great Meganjane! I have been making stuffed mushrooms lately with really large mushrooms and a vege quiche type of mix with whatever vegies I have on hand. Perfect with any BBQ this summer.  ;)

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:34 am »
This sounds soooooooooooo Delicious!!
Thanks for sharing
isi

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:43 am »
Great effort with this conversion MJ - it must be worth the effort or else you wouldn't have gone to all that trouble.  Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:21:22 am »
Wow lots of typing MJ. I should imagine that once you have made it once it would be easier the next time as you would know a little of what you're doing.  Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:03:06 am »
Great work MJ - have had a quick look thru and as you say - seem like a lot, but with your instructions it should be semplice.

grazie - Ta
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 04:57:32 am »
Wow lots of typing MJ. I should imagine that once you have made it once it would be easier the next time as you would know a little of what you're doing.  Thanks.
cookie, I had to type it up after I made it because it was a made up recipe! So, all I had to do then, was select it, then Ctrl C = copy and Ctrl V = paste!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:54:10 am »
Had planned to make this tonight but didn't feel like tomato so just made the stuffed zucchini.  The hulls l put into the varoma dish while the pumpkin was cooking, to soften, and topped with parmesan when filled - had with glazed pork - delicious combination of flavours.

Vegetarians please ignore the pork part of my meal.  eek.  however the orange juice sauce would be a nice compliment to the zucchini/pumpkin!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:59:46 am by katesjoy »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47:38 am »
Megan, I used the tomato passata part of this meal to add to a meal I was making tonight.  Was wonderful and tasty and will be used again.  I omitted peeling the toms, just added them quartered, couldn't tell once they'd been blitzed at the end. Thanks so much for this.  ;D

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »
this sounds delicious!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »
It is delicious and well worth it. Not really a huge effort, just a bit of planning. I'm going to have this again next week.
Since tomatoes are pretty much finished here, I'll use two tins of crushed tomatoes instead of the fresh tomatoes in the Passata recipe. For the stuffed tomato, the ones we have in the supermarket will still be OK. They're just not flavoursome enough for sauce.
The Bush Gourmand