Author Topic: Cheese Straws  (Read 6791 times)

Offline SqueakCorner

• View Profile
Cheese Straws
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:34:11 am »
I'm just making the Cheese Straws from A Taste of Vegetarian (p 97) and I've turned out my 'dough' and it is just a mass of very soft floury crumbs.  I've tried to bring it together but it seems too soft.  Should I mix some more or maybe add some milk?  Any advice gratefully recieved, trying not to get stressed with the Christmas chaos!!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Cheese Straws
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:23 am »
Make your hands as cold as possible and try to knead it gently together - but don't work it too much or the dough will become tough.
If that doesn't work, bung it back in and add a small amount more of cold butter, but again don't process too long.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:01:57 am »
Welcome Mizuko - hope it is all coming together.  Some ice cold water might help ?? like teaspoons if the butter doesn't. 

But as Amanda says - don't work it too much

Good luck   :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »
I hope the cheese straws worked for you Mizuko.

Welcome to the forum.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:28 am »
I made these on Monday and found the dough very crumbly too so continued to blitz it. Obviously did it too long. It was still crumbly when I turned it out but was able to bring it together. Found that I could roll it out. However, when I cooked these they didn't rise much and didn't look anything like what was in the book. Taste great flavour-wise so will have another go at them, maybe adding a bit more butter.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:47:35 pm »
My regular recipe is vastly different from the one in ATOV.

1 cup plain flour (110g?)
70g butter
3 - 4 Tbsp iced water

After processing, press dough together on a lightly floured surface until almost smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.

1/2 cup grated cheese

Roll out to a 20 x 30cm rectangle, sprinkle with half the cheese and press into dough. Fold pastry into 3 layers like an envelope, roll again to a rectangle. Repeat previous steps using the rest of the cheese.
Repeat again at least 3 more times, but without sprinkling with cheese. Refrigerate in between if pastry is becoming soft.

Finally, roll to 2mm thickness and cut into strips about 15 x 12cm. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with salt if desired. Twist each strip and place on lined trays. Bake 15 minutes at 180 degrees C or until golden.

These are delicious! I haven't made them for some time as they are a bit laborious. I guess , you could cut out all the kneading and folding, but just follow the recipe quantities and include the cheese in the dough.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:30:19 am »
Thanks MeganJane,

will give these a try next time I have a morning to spend in the kitchen.

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:10 am »
I halso had trouble with the mixture being quite crumbly. I added 5 tlbsps of iced water and they came together very well.
Tasted great.