Author Topic: Recipe review - Eggnog Liqueur (Advocaat)  (Read 9437 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recipe review - Eggnog Liqueur (Advocaat)
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:32:41 pm »
Eggnog Liqueur (Advocaat) page 45 Festive Flavour cookbook.
It says this is the thick version of advocaat but mine was very runny - I used low fat evaporated milk, would that make a difference. Obviously the colour was nothing like the bought variety but the flavour was still there.  I used a tall glass, added about 5cm advocaat and topped up with lemonade. I then drizzled some of the raspberry cordial I made yesterday down the side of the glass for effect more than anything else.  I spent a good hour on the internet this afternoon looking for cocktail recipes to try but seeing as I am giving most of this batch away, don't think I am going to get to try too many. Using other spirits as well as the advocaat, there's a fluffy duck, squashed frog, blonde russian to name a few and some from another site.... but I won't go there with the names of theirs  ??? ??? I digress.  What did I think of it - I would have liked it to have been thicker, had to go out and buy a bottle of vodka to make it so it was an expensive little exercise. It was quite nice though 3.5/5
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Recipe review - Eggnog Liqueur (Advocaat)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:17 pm »
It shouldn't have been a problem with the light milk.  It is like sabayon (remember George on Masterchef) with vodka added.

Maybe let it go for 6 minutes before adding the milk and then add the vodka with a minute to go?  You know I'll have to try it since I love making sabayon.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
You're going to be very busy testing all these recipes I'm having trouble with Thermomixer  ;D ;D ;D  By the way, any idea how long the advocaat would keep in the fridge?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:07:16 pm »
should keep for quite a while with the vodka in there.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:25:47 pm »
Judydawn,  this sounds yummy, can you post the recipe or do I have to buy the Festive Flavour cook book.   If I do ,where do i get it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:57 pm »
Have pm'd you Chookie - if you want the Festive Flavour cookbook, just contact your demonstrator to see if they have any left. Can't remember if anyone posted an index of recipes from this book or not, just had a quick look and couldn't find it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:26:05 pm »
I made another batch of this tonight Thermomixer and tried your idea of cooking it longer before adding the milk and vodka.  Made no difference unfortunately, still runny.  I love it though so guess it doesn't matter.  My favourite drink so far is called a Dutch Latte which is coke and advocaat. I gave it to visitors today - they thought it was great too and she wasn't a coke drinker.