Author Topic: Marshmallow slice  (Read 23391 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Marshmallow slice
« on: December 10, 2009, 06:22:40 am »
Name of Recipe:Marshmallow slice (adapted from That's Life)
Number of People:heaps
Ingredients:
200g plain biscuits - Marie or Arrowroot
100g butter, melted
400g can condensed milk (I used the low fat one)
grated zest and juice of 2 limes or lemons (I used limes)
1 tblspn gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
Marshmallow - 220g castor sugar
                    1 tblspn gelatine
                    250g boiling water
Preparation:
BASE -Grease and line a shallow 18cm x 28cm baking tray. Make sure the baking paper comes up at least 4cm higher than the sides of the tray.  Process the biscuits in the TM bowl for 8 seconds on speed 7.
Add melted butter and stir on speed 5 for 15 seconds. Spoon into the base of the tray, press down firmly and chill whilst you make the filling.
FILLING - Mix the gelatine and boiling water together and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool slightly.
Combine condensed milk, zest and juice of limes or lemons & gelatine mixture. Mix for 10 seconds on speed 3.  Pour the mixture over the base and chill until set.
MARSHMALLOW - Insert butterfly, place sugar and gelatine in TM bowl. Ensure dry ingredients are below the top of the blades to ensure full coverage with the water.  Add boiling water.  Cook for 22 minutes at 100o on speed 1. Remove lid from TM and dry the upper edges of the bowl with paper towel.  Allow uncovered liquid to cool to room temperature (takes an hour or more).  Replace the lid (leave MC off) and whip syrup 12 minutes on speed 4. At this stage it still wasn't thick enough so I placed the TM bowl without lid on, in the fridge for 10 minutes then beat a further 5 minutes on speed 4.  Still a bit runny but I poured it over the filling, sprinkled it with coconut and refrigerated it for an hour.  It had set beautifully.

Photos:

Tips/Hints: Marshmallow recipe came from Tenina's blog but I had to beat it a lot longer.

http://thermorecipes.blogspot.com/2009/04/hoppy-easter.html

members' comments
CP - OMG OMG OMG -this is a WINNER! Lovely biscuit base, nice tangy filling, and delicious marshmallow topping. Thanks JD.

Tip:  don't let the gelatine and water cool too much when making the filling otherwise it hardens in lumps which are hard to break up. When making the marshmallow I increased the speed after about 5 minutes to Speed 6. (Probably my hand mixer would do a better job tho, but as you can see it has set).

jactela - I ended up putting a drop of red food colouring in before whipping it. It set beautifully. My kids think they are in heaven. It made a huge amount of marshmallow, more than I could fit in the pan so I placed the rest in moulds.

ILB - These would be great in mini silicon muffin moulds for individual servings too. Thanks!!

CP - love this slice JD, and made it again today. Just thought I would add that having made it with limes, I prefer the lemons. Also because the marshmallow mix needs to cool thoroughly, and works well when beaten for the 12 mins or so when thoroughly cooled - it may be a good thing  to make the marshmallow mix first and pour into another TM bowl or container to cool while you make the rest, as it can turn into "an all day" exercise waiting for it to cool down sufficiently. This mix really needs to reach room temp to fluff up.
You can toast the coconut to garnish in the microwave on a side plate for 3 mins on high. Check and zap a bit more if required.

JD - Pineapple version
Gave the pineapple tart a go this afternoon and have adjusted quantities I used to make it a bit thicker for next time.

440g crushed pineapple, drain and reserve juice
5 tblspns sugar
2 tblspns cornflour
2 tblspns custard powder

Weigh pineapple juice into TM bowl and top up with water to make a total of 350 mls. Add sugar, cornflour and custard powder and cook 8 mins/100o/speed 3.  Allow to cool then add the crushed pineapple.  Pour over the base and refrigerate whilst making the marshmallow.

You could use all cornflour if you are anti custard powder but it won't be as yellow.
Next time I will make it in a deep sided casserole dish instead of a slice tray.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:18:47 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Marshmallow slice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:38:50 am »
Thanks JD, I am going to hunt out another marshmallow slice recipe and try and convert that as well.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:45:42 am »
Sounds like you got there in the end Judy, good work.  Wish there was a photo  :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:23 am »
Thanks JD - may have to try the marshmallow recipe too
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:39 am »
Well done Judy. Your grandchildren will be wanting marshmallows all the time now.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:26:43 am »
What a great recipe and conversion!!! Congratulations!
Barbara

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:32:09 am »
Well done JD!!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* This might even go into the Christmas hampers yet...
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 11:33:49 am »
Thanks guys.  I will have to get bunny moulds for next Easter - even DH would eat one of those.  I have a pineapple tart recipe with marshmallow on top so must convert that one too - that is a seriously tasty slice.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:20:55 am »
OMG OMG OMG -this is a WINNER! Lovely biscuit base, nice tangy filling, and delicious marshmallow topping. Thanks JD  ;D

Tip:  don't let the gelatine and water cool too much when making the filling otherwise it hardens in lumps which are hard to break up. When making the marshmallow I increased the speed after about 5 minutes to Speed 6. (Probably my hand mixer would do a better job tho, but as you can see it has set).

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:15:58 am by CreamPuff63 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:24 am »
Why thank you CP63 - had forgotten all about this one.  Thanks for the photo too, always finishes off a recipe nicely.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 10:13:15 am »
Well done JD - I love a marshmallow slice - especially one with red jelly on top!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline jactela

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:20 pm »
im making this at the moment, when did you add the food colouring?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »
There's no food colouring in it jactela - it is white marshmallow.  By the way, welcome to the forum.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:54 am »
Great photo CP63 - but yes, what about some red jelly?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:39:30 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Not worth trying to convert into TM - but here is Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersens recipe:

Jelly Slice
Base:
Mix 185g melted butter into 225g plain crushed biscuits. Press into base of a greased 25x15cm slice tray.

Filling:
Dissolve 2 teaspoons gelatine in 3/4 cup boiling water. Blend 1 x 400g can condensed milk with juice of 2 lemons and dissolved gelatine. Spread over base and refrigerate until set.

Topping:
Make up 1 x packet red jelly according to directions on packet. Cool before pouring over slice. Chill until set. Cut into squares.