Apricot Jam

<< < (5/10) > >>

quirkycooking:
Has anyone tried making apricot jam (fresh apricots) with a natural sweetener such as honey, apple juice concentrate, or Rapadura?  Or any jam that has only fruit?  I read that it will only set if you use citrus pectin, as it is activated by calcium.  I haven't been able to find citrus pectin here, probably could on the internet though.  I can never bear to make jam because of the amount of sugar in it, so I have a heap of organic apricots sitting in my freezer waiting for me to work it out!!  Help??

cathy79:
Quote from: quirkycooking on March 31, 2010, 12:44:36 PM

Has anyone tried making apricot jam (fresh apricots) with a natural sweetener such as honey, apple juice concentrate, or Rapadura?  Or any jam that has only fruit?  I read that it will only set if you use citrus pectin, as it is activated by calcium.  I haven't been able to find citrus pectin here, probably could on the internet though.  I can never bear to make jam because of the amount of sugar in it, so I have a heap of organic apricots sitting in my freezer waiting for me to work it out!!  Help??

I've made strawberry jam and peach jam, both times using 50% rapadura to fruit and nothing else.  You just have to cook it longer so that it thickens.  Delicious!

I thought I'd posted a recipe I found for homemade pectin for jam making.  It was from a book I borrowed from the library and I'm sure Chelsea mentioned that she has it.  I think it was called A Year by the Bottle.  It was basically whole cooked apples as from memory it was the seeds that have the pectin in them.

Hope that gives you a few hints.

achookwoman:
The book, A Year in a Bottle , is by Sally Wise.  She lives in Tassie

Chelsea (Thermie Groupie):
Am so excited to hear that rapadura works well.  I have been keeping raw organic sugar in the kitchen just for jam making - now it can be gone for good.  :)

I'm just checking out my book now (A Year in a Bottle).

Apricots have a medium pectin level, less if they are overripe though.  You can add pectin to jams - use up to 1 cup liquid pectin stock for every 1kg of fruit.  There is a pectin test - let me know if you want that Jo.

Recipe for pectin stock (I'm sure you will be able to easily convert it to TMX and reduce the quantity):
1kg gooseberries, white currants, crab apples or cooking apples (such as Granny Smiths)
3 cups water
Combine gooseberries, currants or apples (or even just the cores) with water in a large saucepan.  Bring to boil and simmer for 45 mins.  Strain several times through a muslin (double thickness) lined colander.  Freeze excess in small containers.

In addition Sally recommends 600g sugar for every 1kg of fruit.

Hope that helps.  :)

quirkycooking:
Oh, thanks so much Chelsea & Cathy!!!  We spend way too much on jam, because I'll only buy the ones that are naturally sweetened, and my dh goes through them very quickly!!  I really want to be able to make my own. The apricots I had were a little underripe, so I left them a few days before freezing - I guess I can just boil it longer if they're not thick enough. 

I remember seeing a recipe somewhere to make your own pectin from lemon seeds/skin or something... can't remember where though.  Might just try the apples.  I'll have to go buy some apples, I've run out...

Thank you  :-* :-* :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page