Author Topic: Coconut oil  (Read 99016 times)

Offline Gen Y

• View Profile
Re: Coconut oil
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »
You can even use coconut oil on your skin and nails and also in your hair it has many health benefits and is one of the best super foods your can eat (in moderation)

I just bought some from my local health food shop.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2011, 04:00:58 am »
When I did my cooking course in Bali, everything was cooked in coconut oil. Got halfway reading through this topic, and have decided to see if my local Asian shop or health food shop has some. Thought I would *bump* this topic at the same time for newbies.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline randomness

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2011, 12:58:56 am »
I have just ditched  my normal oil and use cocnut oil for all cooking.. for stir fries etc. you cannot taste the difference but I am yet to try a chunky dip etc, I may have to stick with Olive oil for these..

I also put coconut oil on my eczema, the itch stops immediately! and it fairly well rubs in..

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2011, 01:07:20 am »
Yeah, just don't use it with bacon, eg in a standard bacon, onion, mushroom risotto. The combination of bacon and coconut flavours is not a happy one :P

If you do some research you'll find that  ghee (clarified butter) is a healthy alternative in cases where ou don't want that strong coconutty flavour in your food.  And you can make ghee in the TMX yourself very easily of course.

Bon chance!

Miss G :)
Mother of 11 year old son and wife of the bread-maker operator

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:18 pm »
I often mix ghee and coconut oil together in a jar - the ghee stops the overpowering coconut taste and I get the benefits of both.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:36 pm »
Just found a coconut oil cooking spray in Woolworths amongst all of the other oils- its made by Pro Chef. I have used it so far to spray the frying pan or the BBQ before grilling meat eg satays etc or doing stir fries and it smells divine!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline 4getfulelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:40 am »
Interesting post...  My naturopath/nutritionist recommended coconut oil to me last week to use as cooking oil as it tastes great and is very good for you.  Has many other uses other than in cooking too... one use is it's supposed to be very good for your hair!   ???   ;D
If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours   :(  ;)  :)  ;D  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:12 am »
Just found a coconut oil cooking spray in Woolworths amongst all of the other oils- its made by Pro Chef. I have used it so far to spray the frying pan or the BBQ before grilling meat eg satays etc or doing stir fries and it smells divine!
I use this too. I love it!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:08 am »
I use it for my face moisturiser.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
me 2 AB, love it
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2013, 08:28:33 pm »
Love coconut oil 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »
For those who use this as a moisturiser do you find it soaks in? I tried using it on my body and even after waiting quite a while before I got dressed my top was stained with it during the day and I also noticed it on our sheets in the morning.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 02:48:52 am »
For those who use this as a moisturiser do you find it soaks in? I tried using it on my body and even after waiting quite a while before I got dressed my top was stained with it during the day and I also noticed it on our sheets in the morning.

I don't advise using it straight as it will do exactly that. It needs to be incorporated with water using an emulsifier. You could try some liquid lecithin and use your TMX to blend the boiled distilled water, lecithin and coconut oil at 80. You'd need to keep it in the fridge, though.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:48 am »
Be careful of using it in your hair. When my mother was young she worked on Nauru and tried coconut oil in her hair overnight. She woke in the middle of the night with a lot of vey happy ants enjoying the new food source.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »
Be careful of using it in your hair. When my mother was young she worked on Nauru and tried coconut oil in her hair overnight. She woke in the middle of the night with a lot of vey happy ants enjoying the new food source.

:o :o
The Bush Gourmand