Author Topic: Creaming egg yolks and sugar  (Read 22275 times)

Offline louisagreen

• View Profile
Creaming egg yolks and sugar
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:39 pm »
I want to convert a cake recipe and the first method is to whip egg yolks and sugar till pale and creamy.  Would I use the butterfly for this?

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Re: Creaming egg yolks and sugar
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
Hello, on the Portuguese forums and in the Portuguese Bamby recipe book they advise, to make a fluffy biskuit type cake, t beat sugar and eggs 6 Mn's speed 3, temperature 37º and repeat same programming but this time without the temperature. And they advise to pulverize the sugar first and only then add the eggs. And some people also advise to start with the flour, beat it on a high speed for a few seconds to get some air into it, reserve the flour and start with pulverizing the sugar. I have never bothered with the flour thing but the rest is my normal procedure already.
Barbara

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:53 pm »
beat sugar and eggs 6 Mn's speed 3, temperature 37º and repeat same programming but this time without the temperature.

Am I right in understanding that you beat for a total of 12 minutes? 

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »
Yes thats right, 12 mins!
Amanda

Spain

Offline louisagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:25:39 am »
Hello, on the Portuguese forums and in the Portuguese Bamby recipe book they advise, to make a fluffy biskuit type cake, t beat sugar and eggs 6 Mn's speed 3, temperature 37º and repeat same programming but this time without the temperature. And they advise to pulverize the sugar first and only then add the eggs. And some people also advise to start with the flour, beat it on a high speed for a few seconds to get some air into it, reserve the flour and start with pulverizing the sugar. I have never bothered with the flour thing but the rest is my normal procedure already.
Thanks Gralke.  I am curious, though, as to why one would use the temperature?  I would be adding dry ingredients to it, once it has been beaten.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:19 am »
I would use blitz the sugar for 20 seconds on speed 9 or 10, then add the egg yolks and using the butterfly on speed 3 or 4, whip them together.

It would help to get some heat if the egg yolks have been straight from the fridge.

It is similar to making sabayon/zabaglione - butterfly is best, even though Masterchef George didn't use his for the sabayon.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
I find that the 12mins of beating makes the cake a high riser :o :o :o my fairy cakes look like a volcano....amazing! Guess its possibly not that necessary, but makes the sponge much lighter and higher!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:54 pm »
Right Bron, I have just remembered that it was the spanish ladycook Gabriella Llamas  (I believe, correct me if I am wrong) that came up with this cake method. I would think that the 37º would serve as a fixer, so that the air that is incorporated does not collapse once the mixture is in the tin. But that is just me guessing.
Barbara

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:05:26 pm »
Sounds right to me! All I can say is that those 12 mins do really show in the final result!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:42:46 pm »
I can try emailing Gabriela to find out why this is done?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:53:32 am »
That would be very interesting to find out...
Barbara

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »
How interesting  ;) I am looking forward to trying this one
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net