Author Topic: Swiss Almond & Carrot Cake with photos, from UK TM site  (Read 36779 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Swiss Almond & Carrot Cake with photos, from UK TM site
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:17 am »
http://www.recipecommunity.co.uk/recshow.php?rec_id=45

I couldn't find this anywhere on the forum, so I hope I haven't missed it.

Made this today and it is really lovely.  Lovely flavours without being sickly sweet or over the top.

I've included the lemon cream cheese icing for anyone that's interested, went very well with this cake.

I made it in a 26cm heart shaped tin for something different and as I'd bought 230g flaked almonds for the cake, the 30g left over, I toasted and sprinkled on top for an added crunch.  

Forgot to say that it took 63 mins in my oven and I didn't have the fan on.  :)

Rating:  5/5

Icing  If you want a thicker consistency, use a bit more sugar to make more icing sugar.
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
210g sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
toasted flaked almonds to sprinkle on top of icing

Put sugar into TM bowl.  Mill for 30 secs/speed 10, to make icing sugar.

Add cream cheese and lemon juice and combine for 25 secs/speed 4. Or until combined.

Spoon on top of cold cake.  Sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds.

Members' comments
maddy - This would be my favourite TM cake. I love the way Julie decorated it.....so I copied her.
I made again with 160g carrot, and 140g zucchini (as I started making not realizing I didn't have enough carrots).
Also used whole almonds instead of the flaked ones. I was really happy with how it turned out.  Of course the colour wasn't as orange, but  it was a nice dense cake. Once again, very moist.  Using zucchini lessened the sweetness too, which I didn't mind at all. I love Julies cream cheese  icing recipe......works well.

JD - Made this one to take up to a friends place today - she had extra friends turn up to help eat some of it.  Was really lovely but I was disappointed that I was unsuccessful in finishing it off with some rosettes like Julie & maddy did.  I put extra icing sugar in for them but they would not hold their shape.  Do you think using the low fat version of the Philly cheese had something to do with it? The cake was lovely and moist and the icing compliments the cake beautifully.

ILB - I think so JD. Mum has a recipe for a divine chocolate cheesecake. When we make it with low fat philly cheese it won't set - so instead we have "frozen chocolate cheesecake" which is great in summer.

maddy - I only use full fat everything so I couldn't answer that one.  I have noticed though when I have used low fat sour cream for my Mexican dip, it always turns out sloppy.

courton - Just want to reinforce everybody's comments... I made this for a picnic today and everybody was commenting how the cake was beautifully moist and delicious. A real winner! And yes, using low fat philly made it impossible to decorate it using rosettes.

CC - Made this again today,really lovely cake.

Denzelmum - Made this in 23cm square pan, raised a lot.  Don't have cream cheese, so as per recipe note, I made lemon juice and icing sugar (only use 160g sugar and it's plenty!).  Took this to feed the crowd and gone in no time.  Very moist, will make again and again.

bigTcup -  it was a hit! I milled the almond, sugar & lemon peel all together then continued adding all the other ingredients (without taking the almond/sugar/peel out of the bowl) & it turned out great.

Brunette - Do you think I could make this recipe into muffins? or would it be too dense?

Denzelmum - Brunette, I made this again today - eight mini muffins and the rest went into a square tin.  Only baked 30 minutes for mini muffin and serve it without icing.  Really yum!

snappy - it's delicious.  I love the fact it has no butter or oil in it.

farfallina - Has a smaller heart shaped tin so reduced ingredients by 1/3 & it worked great. I baked it 50 minutes. I made this cake several times and always with success. I always used my heart shaped pan because it looks so beautiful so I didn't want to use a plain 26cm round pan. Since Valentine's day is coming I published this in my blog too with pictures http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2014/02/our-valentines-day-cake.html

Denzelmum - I made this with GF flour to cater GF friend and received well by all.  Always a winner.

AnnaBanana - Made this on the weekend using a round springform pan and it turned out beautifully.  Really moist and I used the cream cheese icing which was perfect for this cake.  Brought in some to work today and everyone loves it.  
I also checked the recipe a couple of times even after putting it in the oven to make sure I had not missed that there was no butter or oil in the recipe.  Will definitely make again.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:20:25 pm by judydawn »

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
Re: Almond & Carrot Cake with photos, from UK TM site
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:43 am »
Looks FANTASTIC!

Thanks for posting.

Sylvia
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:12 am »
Good work - hadn't seen the recipe.  The result is superb with the cream cheese icing.

I love the Chef's tip from the UK site " Note: Continental Europeans love sweet things, and if you wish, you may grind 200 g granulated sugar 30 seconds/Speed 10, then add 2 to 3 Tbsp lemon juice to make a sugar glaze to drizzle over the cooled cake. I personally find this too sweet, but the original recipe includes it! "

So true - on old friend always had sweet cakes with a layer of sugar on top just in case.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:04 am »
Looks wonderful Julie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:20 am »
Looks wonderful Julie.  Makes one want to take a bite!!!!

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »
I have baked a carrot cake in the Thermomix before but nothing as beautifull as this. Thank you Julie again for the inspirations and for pointing out this recipe!!!
Regards
Barbara
Barbara

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:28:11 am »
This would be my favourite TM cake.
I love the way Julie decorated it.....so I copied her  ;)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:31:02 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:20 am »
They are stunning cakes Julie and Maddy.  Sadly I don't think my 3 year old son would be very impressed if I presented this at his birthday party on Thursday.  He wants a racing car cake (sigh)!!! :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:34:51 am »
Good one Maddy.  The texture looks wonderful too.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:47 am »
Maddy, have you been taking photo lessons from JulieO?  Well done.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:59:05 am »
I want a heart shaped cake tin - oh, what are you girls doing to me.  I'm like a child again - I see, I want, I must have  :-)) :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 11:41:07 am »
I inherited a couple from my Mum.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
Maddy, have you been taking photo lessons from JulieO?  Well done.

;) Sure have!
The old kodak isn't too flash, but I finally figured out that the little flower function on the dial...is good for close ups.....I'm such a der brain  :)

I want a heart shaped cake tin - oh, what are you girls doing to me.  I'm like a child again - I see, I want, I must have  :-)) :-))

:D Everything looks good in a heart tin Judy.....you must get one  ;D
Wait til you see the coolest cookie cake pan I have just aquired.   It's  from America......just figuring out a good chocolate cake recipe that works well in it, then I'll post it.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »
Can't wait maddy. The only thing I don't like about cake tins is that they take up so much room in the cupboards and fall out when you open one :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 12:07:59 pm »
Judy I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who has that problem. I thought when we built this house things would improve. They did for a while until I went and bought more cake tins and bread tins. DD reckons I booby trap them so they all fall out on her.