Author Topic: Mrs Duck's Chicken Curry  (Read 9494 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Mrs Duck's Chicken Curry
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »
Name of Recipe: Mrs Duck's Chicken Curry - a family favourite converted
Number of People: approx 6 hungry adults
Ingredients:
Curry Sauce
1000g milk
100g flour
100g butter
2.5 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 Roast Chicken diced

Place all ingredients (except chicken) into *: and cook for 12 minutes at 90deg on speed 4.  Check for seasoning.  Place in thermoserver and add diced roast chicken.

Give *: a quick rinse.

Rice & Vegies
400g rice
900g water
1 large zucchini diced
1 Broccoli cut into florets
1/2 cauliflower cut into florets
1 carrot diced

Arrange vegetables in Varoma bowl.  Weigh and wash rice thoroughly.  Place water into  *:.  Insert basket with rice and place varoma dish on lid and cook for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 4. Once vegies are cooked, add to thermoserver and mix through.  Remove basket with aid of spatula.

Serve with rice.

Tips/Hints:
Vegie & rice cooking time is approximate.  I only cooked about half the above vegies, which wasn't enough.

Put whatever vegies you like in there.  Bright ones that show up through the curry sauce is nice, cauliflower is nicely disguised.  Can use frozen peas, corn & carrots.  This is a very mild curry that's suitable for the whole family.  Could always set kids portions aside and mix in more curry powder if you like it hotter.

members' comments

Chelsea - I really like this recipe. My DH isn't overly keen on this type of curry, but I just loved it (and he didn't complain at all).
I used 1 zucchini, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and 1 red capsicum.  Next time I will chop the carrot and celery slightly smaller as they were still quite crunchy.  I'm wondering about the possibility of steaming diced chicken thigh fillets in the varoma tray with the vegies underneath.  I know it wouldn't have the lovely bbq flavour but might still be ok if I haven't got any cooked chook?

Gralke - we use cooked boned chicken - to save time on a busy night I cook, bone and freeze the chicken with the stock and then take it out in the morning, reheat all so stock becomes liquid again and cook from there - serving it with rice cooked previously. And that is a nice dinner done in minutes!
Thank you.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:12:48 am by judydawn »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Mrs Duck's Chicken Curry
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:39:34 pm »
Great work CB79 - well thought out conversion - great to have the rice and veg cooking while the flavours marinade into the chicken.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:41:17 am »
This sounds lovely. It would be handy when you say "Let's grab a chook and come back to my place". Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:07:24 am »
This sounds lovely. It would be handy when you say "Let's grab a chook and come back to my place". Thanks.

You need to be careful who you say that to chookie  ;) ;) :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:08 am »
ROFL ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:20:58 am »
What a clever duck to avoid the chop by coming up with a chicken recipe  ;) Way to go Mrs Duck ;D ;D ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:11 am »
I've been looking forward to the rude cheeky comments ever since I put this up.  Took longer than expected ;D.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:52 am »
I really like this recipe.  I made it last night for dinner and we all gobbled it up. My DH isn't overly keen on this type of curry, but I just loved it (and he didn't complain at all  ;)).

I used 1 zucchini, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and 1 red capsicum (basically what was ready to be picked from the garden).  Next time I will chop the carrot and celery slightly smaller as they were still quite crunchy.  I'm wondering about the possibility of steaming diced chicken thigh fillets in the varoma tray with the vegies underneath.  I know it wouldn't have the lovely bbq flavour, but might still be ok if I haven't got any cooked chook?

Thanks for another great recipe Cathy!  Between this and the one-pot spag-bol you have made life a little bit easier for us at mealtimes!  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:23:01 am »
Thanks for bumping and for the review - always good to have something for newbies to have recommended.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:14:28 am »
So glad you like it Chelsea.  Anything to make the dinner hour a little saner.  I've never tried it with fresh chicken.  Should definitely work, maybe a slightly different flavour.

I made one-pot-spag-bol last night.  Delicious and freezed half of it for another night.  Last night I used 1 jar of MJ's Tomato Passata and 3/4 jar of tomato paste instead of 700ml tomato puree.  Just had to add some extra water.  It's a very forgiving recipe.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:56 am »
Yes Cathy - its similar to the one my mum used to make with the only difference that we use cooked boned chicken - to save time on a busy night I cook, bone and freeze the chicken with the stock and then take it out in the morning, reheat all so stock becomes liquid again and cook from there - serving it with rice cooked previously. And that is a nice dinner done in minutes!
Thank you
Barbara

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:25 am »
do you think i could sub a tin of coconut milk then top with (lactose free) milk ? ..... i am looking for  nice "yellow" coconut curry ..... something that usues raw chicken ... and it a thicker sauce ..... any suggetions?
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P