Author Topic: Chocolate Ice cream - with photo  (Read 61093 times)

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Ice cream - with photo
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 06:16:19 am »
Yum, strawberries in between! You'll have to put up a photo of the finished product Kerryn.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 06:16:14 am »
The ice cream cake was a success!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59055494@N05/5415331670/

For the first layer I used this recipe with pure cream. The result was delicious, with the texture a bit "grainy" because the chocolate didn't melt completely through. I liked it this way but if you wanted it completely smooth I would suggest increasing the cooking time by a minute or so (or at least until all the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream).

For the middle layer I used a bit of a mish mash of recipes. I cut up about 350g of strawberries and put them into a bowl with 15g of sugar, 1tsp vanilla paste, and 1 tbsp lemon juice and let it all sit for a few hours in the fridge. The base of the ice cream was the creamy vanilla from the EDC with only 65g of caster sugar, plus 30 grams of vanilla sugar (I ran out of the caster) and no vanilla added (as it was in the sugar and the strawberries already). When I was ready to put the ice cream in the freezer (i have no ice cream maker) I stirred in strawberry mixture. However, if I was doing this again I would blitz the strawberries into the base mixture for a few seconds before adding to the freezer to make sure that they all combined correctly.

The way I did it, the mixture took ages to freeze with the liquid from the strawberries not having incorporated correctly. I ended up leaving it overnight and then blitzing the whole thing in the morning and refreezing, then blitzing again before adding to the chocolate. It ended up a bit icy - a bit more like sorbet than creamy ice cream but I didn't have time to start again and how many 6 year olds were going to care right?

The top layer was this recipe again but this time with half pure cream and half thickened cream. The resulting texture was amazing! It was as smooth as chocolate mousse and really rich and delicious.

I was interested on the feedback too. A few kids didn't eat their as it tasted too grown up. Some adults liked the grainy chocolate, some the moussey one, and quite a number commented that they really liked to contrast of the less creamy strawberry as it balanced the richness of the chocolate layers.

Oh, and the very top was just chocolate magic - the stuff that sets hard when put onto the ice cream.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I can say that this is a great recipe, even without an ice cream maker! Oh and I would suggest putting the ice cream into a shallow tray (like a lamington or slice tray) for the first freeze as it freezes much quicker than 3 - 4 hours. You can also put your tray into the freezer to chill before pouring your mixture in.
Kerryn

Offline Nana2three

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 02:24:08 am »
I have made this ice-cream 4 times now, and each time a great success.  I put some Kahlua through one batch, and some choc chips . Absolutely delicious.  Thank you for sharing this recipe.  It is now a family favourite.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 05:31:44 am »
Welcome to the forum Nana2three.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
Yes Welcome Nana, and thank you for the feedback.  ;D

Offline Nana2three

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 07:22:03 am »
Thank you Cookie and Julio O for your welcoming words

Offline bkmundt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 02:45:35 am »
I just have to say 'wow'. I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out but this is the best icecream I've made so far!!

I followed the instructions initially and then just froze in a cake tin overnight. Took it out of the freezer and left for 5 minutes and then put in the TM 10 seconds on speed 9 and then about 20 seconds on speed 4. Initially went all crumbly but I beat it for longer on speed 4 - and then wow. Wonderful icecream!!! I had some last night and I've refrozen the rest to have tonight.

Thanks for sharing this recipe (can't say it's perhaps all that good for me with mainly cream and chocolate, but it's good nonetheless!).

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:52 am »
Good on you for adapting the recipe to suit yourself.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  ;D

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 08:46:38 pm »
Thermomix-cooking frenzy today. Tomato soup, Bron's aioli, tomatosalsa, this icecream ( lovely!), parmesan bread, chicken cacciatore risotto. All a big success. Never was much of a 'kitchen princess' as we say in Holland, but ever since I've got my Thermie.....love to Cook with it! Thanks for this delicious recipe!
Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 09:44:36 am »
Have this churning as we speak.

Made a couple of adjustments to original recipe, as I'm pregnant, so raw eggs are off the menu :)

So for the last step, programmed for 4 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 4, with butterfly in.

Will be back in half an hour with full review  ;D

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:20 am »
 :-*
Beautiful.

I only churned for 15 minutes, as i only bought a very cheap ice cream maker, and it's only recommended to use for 15 minutes at a time lol. Then popped it in the freezer for about an hour.

Well, at the moment it's like a gorgeous chocolate mousse. Which, for a pregnant lady, that's heaven  :D (No mousse while pregnant).

It is a little too rich for us, so I think we would use less chocolate or one with less cocoa. It is truly decadent!

Will definatley go on the 'make again' list!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »
Glad you liked it Lee.  It's definitely a rich ice cream, just one scoop is enough, but nice for a treat now and then.  :)

Offline kokokodio

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:12 pm »
I made this icecream yesterday and it was really lovely.  I froze it on a baking tray then chop it up to blast in TM.  I popped it back in the freezer and whipped it up one last time before serving, though I don't think the second 'churn' was completely necessary.  Will definitely do it again!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 01:40:12 am »
Thanks for reviewing kokokodio, and welcome to the forum.  You'll find some great ice cream recipes on here.  ;D

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 03:26:37 am »
Yes,  I've made this ice cream twice now. 

I double the recipe now.  ;D